Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Value Of Schneider

Value Of

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
122 replies to this topic

#1 janisahockeynut

janisahockeynut

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

I am about to blow my lid! I know some of you have made reasonable suggestions on the value of Cory Schneider, but I honestly can't believe how little value some people put on a young, talented, high end goalie.

Posters have said such things like, 28th pick is great than Schneider, or that he isn't worth as much as Hedman, or that Connelly is worth more.

The facts are this. He is in the top 10 in every important goaltending category. People say say he unproven as a starting goalie, well so is Hedman unproven as a 1/2 dman, and Connelly can barely break into TB line up. We don't know what, or if they will get any better....they might have topped out! You don't know. And if Cory has topped out, you still have a bonified star!

And Draft picks don't always turn out! Does anyone remember who was drafted first overall the year Hank and Daniel were drafted!

Why do you think, there are so many teams that are interested in Cory? He is proven and draft picks and young prospect are not.....at best it is risky.

It takes 4 or 5 years to develope a goalie, if you are lucky, he plays in the NHL. You are grasping at straws if you know a goalie will be good when you draft him, that is why Cory is so valuable!

Geesh!......................Man I fell better!

Edited by zcaptain, 02 April 2012 - 10:24 PM.

#2 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,422 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

no worries - some fans may not, but MG knows what his value is...

p.s. Patrick Stefan was picked first - but then again, the entire draft was thin, and other than the Sedins, Havlat was the only other first round pick that panned out. Zetteburg went in the 7th round.

Edited by oldnews, 02 April 2012 - 10:32 PM.

#3 xereau

xereau

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

Schneider is worth a proven high end already developed starter, to match what we are losing.

Who? I am not sure.

Victor Hedman? Evander Kane?

Schneids is worth more than picks at this point.

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man:
brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the

timid join him; for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."

Mark Twain

#4 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

Schneider is worth a lot more than some people give him credit for. I can guarantee that 29 teams will be asking for him this summer. Only in a perfect world we could keep both Lu and Schneides and convince them to go 50/50 on the season. :( Both deserve to be starters.
Posted Image
NikiShiz

#5 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,722 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

Yeah some people way undervalue Schneids' value. I think a package consisting of

- Top six calibre forward
- A bottom six forward
- A top pair d man
- A solid back up
- A grade A prospect/top 5-10 first rounder

Would be the right value for Cory.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#6 Dr. Recchi

Dr. Recchi

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

Schneider is worth a lot more than some people give him credit for. I can guarantee that 29 teams will be asking for him this summer. Only in a perfect world we could keep both Lu and Schneides and convince them to go 50/50 on the season. :( Both deserve to be starters.

:picard:

#7 Dr. Recchi

Dr. Recchi

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

Yeah some people way undervalue Schneids' value. I think a package consisting of

- A bottom six forward
- A top pair d man
- A solid back up

And you're overvaluing him.

Edited by Dr. Recchi, 02 April 2012 - 10:40 PM.

#8 Toni Zamboni

Toni Zamboni

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,827 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

if he gets used at all in the playoffs and has success, his value will go up even more.......MG is a shrude businessman, imo.

#9 Hafizzle

Hafizzle

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

- A bottom six forward
- A top pair d man
- A solid back up

This is by far the most ridiculous proposal I've ever seen. That wouldn't fly even in NHL12.

I think we can get a top 10 draft pick and a prospect possibly or a very talented prospect and a later pick. There are teams who are in dire need of a good goaltender so we might be able to juice a bit more out of them but nothing even remotely like what you have suggested. You have to keep in mind that Schneider is still by and large unproven as a starter. He's undoubtedly the best backup goalie in the NHL right now and he most likely will become an elite goalie but nothing is proven as yet.

#10 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

You guarantee 29 teams will be asking for him this summer? What - like Bruins, Rangers, Flyers, Preds, Pens, Blues...? The teams that already have amazing tandems and/or have star goalies signed for ages? Come on. It seems that the most reasonable place for him to go in terms of demand would be Tampa. Rolie is a senior citizen with an expiring extension. I wouldn't mind seeing Corey there either.

#11 17's heart&hustle

17's heart&hustle

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

^^^WAY OVERVALUING

#12 samurai

samurai

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

He was a first rounder, did extremely well at the AHL level and now the NHL. Presents himself as a complete professional on and off the ice. And now has established himself as one of the best most reliable young goalies in the league. In short his value is huge.

We are going to get something very good in return, but the thing to remember is that we are losing a key part of the team and our goalie equation.

I am not excited about losing him at all. Let's remember as well we got the playoffs coming up and if lu struggles (i don't think he will) then things could change.

#13 Beluga Whale

Beluga Whale

Trust me I'm a whale

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:03 PM

- A bottom six forward
- A top pair d man
- A solid back up

:picard: enormous overpayment, that's like Tampa offering us; Malone, Thompson, Brewer, Garon, 1st pick. Not gunna happen in a million years.

bluuuuga.png

#14 roland

roland

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

CORY SCHNEIDER FOR SHEA WEBER, RINNE AND 1ST ROUND PICK

#15 Canuck_Inferno

Canuck_Inferno

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:09 PM

I don't always overvalue, but when I do, I prefer to overvalue ridiculously. Stay ridiculous, my friends.
Posted Image

- A bottom six forward
- A top pair d man
- A solid back up

#16 CrippledCanuck

CrippledCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

some nhlers believe in the 29 team theory as well - "This kid is a No. 1 goalie in this league," Elias said. "He's in a tough position there. I think there are going to be 29 teams in line to get him when his time comes. He is that good."

http://ca.news.yahoo...49304--spt.html

Edited by CrippledCanuck, 02 April 2012 - 11:23 PM.

#17 Stark

Stark

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:23 PM

No, you're wrong. People are overvaluing him. Is he valuable? Most definitely, he is our most valued trading piece. But for people to think that he is worth:

- A bottom six forward
- A top pair d man
- A solid back up

is pretty ridiculous. If you're able to pull that off, the Canucks organization will hand the job of GM over to you.
Think from the other teams' perspective. Why the hell would they want to give up that much for a young goaltender, albeit a great one with huge potential?

Say if we were in need of a goaltender. It'd be like trading away Booth, Higgins, Edler, (insert backup here), and Kassian for a goaltender. People need to start thinking logically.
Posted Image

R.I.P. LB RR PD

#18 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

Would Schneider for Nikitin and a 2nd roll? I think Nikita would be a really nice piece to have, he's big, showed that he liked to play the right side (thanks for the pick to give Edler his coast-to-coast ::D) has decent offensive instincts and isn't bad defensively either. If Lack gets some time against even decent NHL competition and shows that he can do alright, and there's the threat that Schneids could get targeted I would make a trade using Nikitin and a 2nd for a starting point from them (maybe get Sanford as well?)

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#19 MagicMunkle

MagicMunkle

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

Wow that flew over all your heads.

Posted Image

#20 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:28 PM

- A bottom six forward
- A top pair d man
- A solid back up

... no, this is completely biased.

You're saying that you would trade
Booth
Hansen
Hamhuis
Schroeder
Lack

for Cory Schneider... get real.

Oh hello Alain Vigneault, I see what you did there... good one.

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

#21 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

Schneider by himself is worth a top 10 pick and a prospect. Schneider + 1st rounder + Solid Prospect is around what Columbus will be asking for their 1st if not more.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#22 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

some nhlers believe in the 29 team theory as well - "This kid is a No. 1 goalie in this league," Elias said. "He's in a tough position there. I think there are going to be 29 teams in line to get him when his time comes. He is that good."

http://ca.news.yahoo...49304--spt.html

Some nhlers, like many cdcers, are prone to making gross overstatements. He is a great goalie, but a more or less unproven starter. Is he better than Elliot? Quick? Lundqvist? As of right now - NO.

#23 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

He is worth so much that i don't think he is going anywhere... time will tell!

#24 SixtyEight

SixtyEight

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

Schneider for E. Kane

#25 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

but then again, the entire draft was thin,

Looking back on it, it's surprising how many of the guys drafted that year eventually played for the Canucks. In addition to the Sedins, other first rounders from '99 to play here were Beech, Pyatt, Ouellet and McCarthy. Granted some of them barely had time to finish their cup of coffee before moving on...

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#26 NuckNuckNucks

NuckNuckNucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:06 AM

Cory is an incredible BACKUP goalie. That is all.

Had he been our no.1, we would be squeaking into the playoffs. He no Luongo yet.
You have to be a true bandwagoneer if you buy Mike's line about looking for the right deal to trade Luongo.

True fans and hockey diehards know, that is double talk for, "Luongo is a high ticket commodity now or next year, we'll keep him around just in case Schneider turns out to be a lemon and chokes games."

And choke he will.

I know this. I'm never wrong.

#27 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:07 AM

Cory will be one of the more decorated goaltenders after it is all set and done. His value is enormous, I would think his value would be similar to Lus when we traded for him.....ah before you say anything, desperate times call for desperate measures. Teams who are in need of a goalie, see Cory like he is a gold mine, and they would be willing to sacrifice some bodies and picks to get to this top three in stats, calm demenour, great team guy of a gold mine. Everyone is aware of how many shots the canucks have been allowing lately and yet he still won games. He beat all the big teams. He went in to the house of horrors where our other starter was butchered and won us THE GAME of the season. Its not like he lost in his first ever playoff start, he got injured while it was still 3-3 ( one goal was also a ps). This was huge cause before this game the floodgates had opened. His first 5 playoff games he has posted a 9.15 sv% which is good, it will vastly improve, as we all know he has improved this season over the last! Gms with teams that are struggling in the goaltender position know what the value of such a superior goalie is. just as we knew the value of lu when we got him back then. Personally i would keep Cory.

Also the poster who guranteed that all 29 gms will look at him, is correct so please leave them alone. If the Gms dont look into available young talented players then the gms arent doing their jobs...so in all fairness i think they will ask about him. I mean if you could flip miller (for a great return) and get younger and cheaper why wouldnt you give it a thought. Also who knows what if Rask keeps getting injured over and over or doesnt recover fully why not check it out, Mg is cool with Bostons Gm. St louis's gm might check it out to gague the value of his own goalies, the point is they all get a sniff for sure.

Edited by iluvbc, 03 April 2012 - 12:19 AM.

#28 NuckNuckNucks

NuckNuckNucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:10 AM

Had he been our no.1, we would be squeaking into the playoffs. He no Luongo yet.
You have to be a true bandwagoneer if you buy Mike's line about looking for the right deal to trade Luongo.

True fans and hockey diehards know, that is double talk for, "Luongo is a high ticket commodity now or next year, we'll keep him around just in case Schneider turns out to be a lemon and chokes games."

And choke he will.

#29 NuckNuckNucks

NuckNuckNucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:11 AM

And choke he will.

#30 Grind-Like-Lightning

Grind-Like-Lightning

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:28 AM

Cory is an incredible BACKUP goalie. That is all. Had he been our no.1, we would be squeaking into the playoffs. He no Luongo yet.

Cory is an incredible BACKUP goalie. That is all. Had he been our no.1, we would be squeaking into the playoffs. He no Luongo yet.

I'm not sure I get your point. Could you repeat it, so I can get the general idea?
Posted Image Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.