The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Value Of Schneider

J.I.A.H.N

I think he is worth:

a 1st round draft pick between 10-20

somebody in similar value to chris higgins

a solid prospect (tim erixon type of value)

I don't know how much sense that makes to people. You have to remember that there are other options out there for teams looking for young POTENTIAL starting goalies (Bernier, Lehner, Rask, Hackett, Lindback, Enroth)

PS- its seems to be a simple case of CDC shortsightedness...quick has a few good games and hes now a god amongst boys in the NHL. if he loses 2 in a row everyone will be on my side.

How many of them are actually available though?

Did I say he was better than Elliott Quick or Lundquist - NO I simply stated a quote from a proven nhl player so pardon me for taking the words of a proven NHL scorer 17yr career almost 900 pts and a couple stanley cups over a bunch of CDCers. His statement may have been exaggerated but cdc might not realize how many teams really would want him and yes I do believe he is and will prove to be a better goalie than a good number of the ones playing today. As for his limited play his stats speak for themselves, he hasnt exactly been sheltered from playing the top teams this year and is in the top 10 of most goalie categories.

another sheep buying in to the over rating bandwagon of quick...hes the MVP in LA for sure but lundqvist is far mroe valuable and is the only reason NYR is atop the league, the mans a beast plain and simple. sorry but quick isnt someone to write home about, wheres LA been the last few years? nowhere i can remember thats for sure.

Cory will be one of the more decorated goaltenders after it is all set and done. His value is enormous, I would think his value would be similar to Lus when we traded for him.....ah before you say anything, desperate times call for desperate measures. Teams who are in need of a goalie, see Cory like he is a gold mine, and they would be willing to sacrifice some bodies and picks to get to this top three in stats, calm demenour, great team guy of a gold mine. Everyone is aware of how many shots the canucks have been allowing lately and yet he still won games. He beat all the big teams. He went in to the house of horrors where our other starter was butchered and won us THE GAME of the season. Its not like he lost in his first ever playoff start, he got injured while it was still 3-3 ( one goal was also a ps). This was huge cause before this game the floodgates had opened. His first 5 playoff games he has posted a 9.15 sv% which is good, it will vastly improve, as we all know he has improved this season over the last! Gms with teams that are struggling in the goaltender position know what the value of such a superior goalie is. just as we knew the value of lu when we got him back then. Personally i would keep Cory.

Also the poster who guranteed that all 29 gms will look at him, is correct so please leave them alone. If the Gms dont look into available young talented players then the gms arent doing their jobs...so in all fairness i think they will ask about him. I mean if you could flip miller (for a great return) and get younger and cheaper why wouldnt you give it a thought. Also who knows what if Rask keeps getting injured over and over or doesnt recover fully why not check it out, Mg is cool with Bostons Gm. St louis's gm might check it out to gague the value of his own goalies, the point is they all get a sniff for sure.

I think he is worth:

a 1st round draft pick between 10-20

somebody in similar value to chris higgins

a solid prospect (tim erixon type of value)

I don't know how much sense that makes to people. You have to remember that there are other options out there for teams looking for young POTENTIAL starting goalies (Bernier, Lehner, Rask, Hackett, Lindback, Enroth)

I think we have to remember the key role the goalie plays. Sure Schneider still has a few rough edges to smooth away but I have no doubt he will be a "must have" for 4 or 5 teams in the league.

It might come down to providing a "patch player" for the guy we want in order for the dealing team to let a big enough asset go i.e. Cory plus Hansen or Booth or Raymond or Ballard (these are just names don't get upset) For that kind of deal I would expect the Canucks to get the top gritty goal scoring tough guy or big imposing top four D they have been after.

By the way, I keep pumping this guy's tyres but don't forget Matt Climie..........doing as good a job if not better than Eddie Lack in Chicago. He's no youngster but I've watched him and he has got grit and talent.

Cory will be one of the more decorated goaltenders after it is all set and done. His value is enormous, I would think his value would be similar to Lus when we traded for him.....ah before you say anything, desperate times call for desperate measures. Teams who are in need of a goalie, see Cory like he is a gold mine, and they would be willing to sacrifice some bodies and picks to get to this top three in stats, calm demenour, great team guy of a gold mine. Everyone is aware of how many shots the canucks have been allowing lately and yet he still won games. He beat all the big teams. He went in to the house of horrors where our other starter was butchered and won us THE GAME of the season. Its not like he lost in his first ever playoff start, he got injured while it was still 3-3 ( one goal was also a ps). This was huge cause before this game the floodgates had opened. His first 5 playoff games he has posted a 9.15 sv% which is good, it will vastly improve, as we all know he has improved this season over the last! Gms with teams that are struggling in the goaltender position know what the value of such a superior goalie is. just as we knew the value of lu when we got him back then. Personally i would keep Cory.

Also the poster who guranteed that all 29 gms will look at him, is correct so please leave them alone. If the Gms dont look into available young talented players then the gms arent doing their jobs...so in all fairness i think they will ask about him. I mean if you could flip miller (for a great return) and get younger and cheaper why wouldnt you give it a thought. Also who knows what if Rask keeps getting injured over and over or doesnt recover fully why not check it out, Mg is cool with Bostons Gm. St louis's gm might check it out to gague the value of his own goalies, the point is they all get a sniff for sure.

This deal is all about re-stocking the cupboards. 2 first round picks and a prospect (not the #1 overall).... With an outside shot at Rick Nash.

Both TB and CBJ have multipule 1st rounders. If obtained, possibly having 3 players in the top 30 would be stellar.

I think that first of all it has to be said that Cory not only has great top shelf stats, but it is the other things that make him so interesting for other GM's. He is a very smart goalie, and his adjustments in a game are instantanious, and you usually don't see him make the same mistakes over and over. He has class and shows it continuely by the way he supports Lui and doesn't make a sound about wanting more, and believe me he does! He seems like a great team mate, with a sence of humour, and his team mates like him.

And although the above personallity trates don't stop the puck, they actually do because his team mates love him and will go to war for him, and never quit on a puck. Gm's look at that stuff. A class act!

Coupled with the skill and above demeanor, Cory and Lui play on a more offensive team, than say St.Louis. And if you look at St. Louis before they changed coaches, they were very loose and the GAA wasn't quite as good. The proof to that is when the Canucks tightened up their game.....wa la.....2 very boring 1-0 shut outs for the Canucks.........both goalies having a 100% Save percentage and a 0.00 goals against average.

So to say Elliot or even Halak? ( Spelling) are better than Cory, there is room for arguement, as for Bernier, teams have already had a go at him at the trade deadline and he is still there. Lundquist is a king, a consistant warrior, who makes his team better.

Actually, I think that Cory maybe a young Lundquist or Thomas, he is that good and has the same mental toughness to go with his talent......that will bring a pretty penny!!!!!!

And just to make a point......I will sob if/and when Cory goes.....because IMO he will be such a solid netminder for years that we will be talking about him like we do Cam Neally ( The one that got away!) I think other GM's think the same thing.

Random points to think about:

Real question is...what can Luongo get us? Compare that to Schneids's bounty. Also keep in mind, Luongo has ~5M and Schneids will sign for ~3M, and that difference of 2M is an asset.

If you are the GM, would you pay ~5M for Luongo, a gold medal, proven franchise goalie with great leadership and work ethic, or

~3M for Schneider, who is clearly one of the best back-ups in the NHL who deserves a chance at a starter? Lu has a whale of a contract, but 5M is reasonable for a guy with his pedigree, and there's no way he's playing until the end of that contract. If Carter can be traded a couple of times (with his contract appearing to be much larger than his worth - not the case for Lu), then there has got to be a market for Luongo's contract.

This sounds crazy, but I think there's a real chance that CS signs here for one more year.... #optimism.

Honestly, these two probably stole us 10 games (at a minimum) this season. That's worth ~8M in payroll. Just trade Ballard or Raymond and we can easily create cap space for Schneid's increase. Will he want to stay as a back up? Probably not - but give him more starts and 1B status. He's a smart guy; he'll know this chance to win won't come easily. Who knows, if he does well, Lu might be the one that gets traded after next season.

I think if we could pry out a high 1st round pick for someone like Matthew Dumba or Ryan Murray, plus another young prospect or even a roster player that would be a fair enough trade. Best trade proposals I've been hearing have been:

TBL 1st round pick + Brett Connolly to VAN for Cory Schneider

or

CBJ 1st round pick + Ryan Johansen to VAN for Cory Schneider

Even though Tampa has fallen out of the running for the very top picks, a 10th overall or so could still nab us Ryan Murray if we're lucky. So obviously the deal with CBJ would be preferable but either one could work.

So, even if Schneids' value is what peoples says it is (roster + prospect + first, or what have you) people need to keep in mind supply and demand. Say team X needs a goalie, and they can give up either the RP1 for Schneids or get Bernier, Lindback, Rask, Harding, Enroth or even an Elliot for less, it brings down the value of Schneids. Don't forget about Goalie UFA's too...

Point is, Schneids actual value is not necessarily what we would get.

Archived