The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Value Of Schneider

J.I.A.H.N

With other goalies like Harding and Vokoun available as UFAs Schneider will be tougher to move for big assets as there are cheaper options available that cost you nothing in return. Tampa will be making a big push for Harding guaranteed.

Random points to think about: Real question is...what can Luongo get us? Compare that to Schneids's bounty. Also keep in mind, Luongo has ~5M and Schneids will sign for ~3M, and that difference of 2M is an asset. If you are the GM, would you pay ~5M for Luongo, a gold medal, proven franchise goalie with great leadership and work ethic, or ~3M for Schneider, who is clearly one of the best back-ups in the NHL who deserves a chance at a starter? Lu has a whale of a contract, but 5M is reasonable for a guy with his pedigree, and there's no way he's playing until the end of that contract. If Carter can be traded a couple of times (with his contract appearing to be much larger than his worth - not the case for Lu), then there has got to be a market for Luongo's contract. This sounds crazy, but I think there's a real chance that CS signs here for one more year.... #optimism. Honestly, these two probably stole us 10 games (at a minimum) this season. That's worth ~8M in payroll. Just trade Ballard or Raymond and we can easily create cap space for Schneid's increase. Will he want to stay as a back up? Probably not - but give him more starts and 1B status. He's a smart guy; he'll know this chance to win won't come easily. Who knows, if he does well, Lu might be the one that gets traded after next season.

Yeah some people way undervalue Schneids' value. I think a package consisting of

- Top six calibre forward

- A bottom six forward

- A top pair d man

- A solid back up

- A grade A prospect/top 5-10 first rounder

Would be the right value for Cory.

He was a first rounder, did extremely well at the AHL level and now the NHL. Presents himself as a complete professional on and off the ice. And now has established himself as one of the best most reliable young goalies in the league. In short his value is huge.

We are going to get something very good in return, but the thing to remember is that we are losing a key part of the team and our goalie equation.

I am not excited about losing him at all. Let's remember as well we got the playoffs coming up and if lu struggles (i don't think he will) then things could change.

So, even if Schneids' value is what peoples says it is (roster + prospect + first, or what have you) people need to keep in mind supply and demand. Say team X needs a goalie, and they can give up either the RP1 for Schneids or get Bernier, Lindback, Rask, Harding, Enroth or even an Elliot for less, it brings down the value of Schneids. Don't forget about Goalie UFA's too...

Point is, Schneids actual value is not necessarily what we would get.

I think you need to look at recent trades of other young goalies to get an idea of what Schneider might be worth.

Trade #1:

Jaroslav Halak trade in 2010. Halak was 25 years old, and coming off a great playoff run, and good regular season. Halak was traded for a high end prospect in Lars Eller (former 13th overall pick) and a mid-level prospect in Ian Schultz.

Trade #2:

Semyon Varlamov trade in 2011. Varlamov, 22, was traded for a 1st round and 2nd round pick of a team that did not make the playoffs the previous season. So, a high to mid first rounder plus a 2nd round pick was the value.

The Halak trade was done by Gauthier who proved to be an incompetent GM, and Varlamov was younger and less proven than Schneider. I think Halak and Schneider are good comparables, but we also have reason to believe Gauthier did not get full value for Halak, so Schneider should get a little more than Halak did for Montreal.

Schneider's value should be:

- 1st round pick (approx 10th overall) OR a team's #1 or #2 prospect (player 22 and under)

- 2nd round pick OR a team's #5-#10 prospect/young player

- 2nd or 3rd round pick depending on the other picks/players

The other possibility is an NHL ready player who is around the same career stage as Schneider. A 26 years old or younger who has a few seasons of NHL development under his belt. I could see essentially a one-for-one trade in that sort on instance, but I don't see any teams where that kind of trade is a fit right now.

I really don't think the Canucks will take back a veteran player who is in his 30's for Schneider.

I think you need to look at recent trades of other young goalies to get an idea of what Schneider might be worth.

Trade #1:

Jaroslav Halak trade in 2010. Halak was 25 years old, and coming off a great playoff run, and good regular season. Halak was traded for a high end prospect in Lars Eller (former 13th overall pick) and a mid-level prospect in Ian Schultz.

Trade #2:

Semyon Varlamov trade in 2011. Varlamov, 22, was traded for a 1st round and 2nd round pick of a team that did not make the playoffs the previous season. So, a high to mid first rounder plus a 2nd round pick was the value.

The Halak trade was done by Gauthier who proved to be an incompetent GM, and Varlamov was younger and less proven than Schneider. I think Halak and Schneider are good comparables, but we also have reason to believe Gauthier did not get full value for Halak, so Schneider should get a little more than Halak did for Montreal.

Schneider's value should be:

- 1st round pick (approx 10th overall) OR a team's #1 or #2 prospect (player 22 and under)

- 2nd round pick OR a team's #5-#10 prospect/young player

- 2nd or 3rd round pick depending on the other picks/players

The other possibility is an NHL ready player who is around the same career stage as Schneider. A 26 years old or younger who has a few seasons of NHL development under his belt. I could see essentially a one-for-one trade in that sort on instance, but I don't see any teams where that kind of trade is a fit right now.

I really don't think the Canucks will take back a veteran player who is in his 30's for Schneider.

There are definatley other options out there, but Schneider is at the top of the list, and will be available.

Schneider said himself that he wanted to honour his current contract and just worry about helping the team win in whatever way he could... Well, his contract is up, and guaranteed, he'll be looking to be a starter. Only way Lu leaves Vancouver is if it is a mutual decision. This is why there were trade clauses written into the contract. Lu will be a Canuck for a while to come.

Schneiders value is high, but some of the suggestions on this board are pretty funny. I think he'll be traded at the draft. To whom and for what is anybodys guess. IM going to guess that it will end up being CBJ, and the return will be Jenner + Goloubef + CBJ 2nd

There are definatley other options out there, but Schneider is at the top of the list, and will be available.

Schneider said himself that he wanted to honour his current contract and just worry about helping the team win in whatever way he could... Well, his contract is up, and guaranteed, he'll be looking to be a starter. Only way Lu leaves Vancouver is if it is a mutual decision. This is why there were trade clauses written into the contract. Lu will be a Canuck for a while to come.

Schneiders value is high, but some of the suggestions on this board are pretty funny. I think he'll be traded at the draft. To whom and for what is anybodys guess. IM going to guess that it will end up being CBJ, and the return will be Jenner + Goloubef + CBJ 2nd

Archived