Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Value Of Schneider

Value Of

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
122 replies to this topic

#121 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

blah blah blah... personal attack... blah blah blah...

I don't care if you're butthurt over the fact that you don't know the difference between PROVEN starter and a potential starter. No matter how much you babble about how good Schneider is, the fact remains, he is not a proven starter yet.

My examples are the more common results of high expectations, whereas your example is Dryden, a once every decade or so occurrence. For every player who dazzles and goes on to be a true star, like Dryden did, there are a few dozen who look like they could be great, then aren't.

The ironic part of this is I believe Schneider is the real deal, I just don't think my opinion becomes reality and don't make statements of an opinion as if it were fact. We both believe he's a great goalie, you just overestimate your opinion and think it's fact.

Want to prove Schneider is a PROVEN NHL starter, you better have a time machine, because he hasn't had the chance to be a starter yet, which means it can't be proven at this time.

Edited by Jester@wraiths.ca, 03 April 2012 - 08:10 PM.

#122 janisahockeynut

janisahockeynut

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

I don't care if you're butthurt over the fact that you don't know the difference between PROVEN starter and a potential starter. No matter how much you babble about how good Schneider is, the fact remains, he is not a proven starter yet.

My examples are the more common results of high expectations, whereas your example is Dryden, a once every decade or so occurrence. For every player who dazzles and goes on to be a true star, like Dryden did, there are a few dozen who look like they could be great, then aren't.

The ironic part of this is I believe Schneider is the real deal, I just don't think my opinion becomes reality and don't make statements of an opinion as if it were fact. We both believe he's a great goalie, you just overestimate your opinion and think it's fact.

Want to prove Schneider is a PROVEN NHL starter, you better have a time machine, because he hasn't had the chance to be a starter yet, which means it can't be proven at this time.

Well, I guess you win, because I don't have a time machine. LOL What a joke........it's the end of the 2nd period, guess where Lou's sitting?

Oh Yeah, did you hear Ferreiro talk about Cory? I think maybe he should have a time machine too! You actually have to listen to his words, and what he was saying about Cory, something about Cory having the 3rd high save percentage in a single season ( this year) in history!

Yes, maybe the other GM's have a time machine, because they sure are interested......are you saying that after the playoffs, THEN he will be a starting goalie......yes, but not now???? Come on!

Oh and then Aaron Ward says on TSN at the end of the second period, when talking about this very topic, that the Canucks dilemma of who will start the playoffs with 2 starting goaltenders......hmmm I guess you are smarter than they are also, or are you wrong and they have a time machine?

Look it is just your opinion, and the stack is piling up against you. I still think Lou is a good goalie, I am just saying that Cory is as well. Funny thing is alot of other people are saying that too! But we all have time machines.

Relax and don't make it so personal.

#123 mangosteens

mangosteens

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

What has Schnider proven exactly ? Gillis' hand isn't as strong as you make it out to be. If a team really wanted him why not offer him a sheet ? Why deal with Gillis at all and field unrealistic offers like yours ?

If Schneider is worth that much Crawford is worth even more...

I'll answer about Schneider's value in a second. But first, your questions about why team's would deal with Vancouver.
Basically, the issue is the Canucks can match any offer sheet. Once the Canucks match the offer sheet, Schneider cannot be traded for at least one year. So, a team that wants Schneider has to make an offer large enough that Schneider would sign it (remember a multi-year deal takes him into his UFA age) and also that the Canucks would not match it. How big is that number? If it is too big, then the team is in a Kessel situation like happened in Toronto with Boston.

The Varlamov example is a really good one for this. Varlamov was an RFA, and after being traded from Wash for a 1st and 2nd rounder, signed a contract for $3M. The RFA compensation for a $3M contract is only a 2nd round pick, yet the Avs gave up more than that to the Caps in a trade, why? Because the Capitals made it known that they would match all offer sheets for Varlamov. Avs had to pay more than the RFA compensation in order to make sure they got their guy.
Gillis and the Canucks still hold the cards in the deal. Very hard for teams to bully them, since the Canucks can use the threat of matching any reasonable deal and making Schneider unavailable. A team that wants to make sure it gets Schneider either has to overpay on an offer sheet, or make a trade with Vancouver.

As for value, Schneider is in the top 5 in Sv% and GAA this year. Sure, he is not a proven all star, but neither would the players coming back in trade be proven commodities. Consensus amongst hockey types is that Schneider is going to be a star. If you compare GAA and SV% between Crawford and Schneider, you would see that Schneider's numbers have been better at the NHL and AHL levels. It really isn't even close. Crawford's best sv% for any professional season is 0.917. Schneider has only been under that number once with a .915sv% in his first AHL season. Schneider has an impressive consistency and track record to this point. Bowman would drop Crawford for Schneider in a second.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.