The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Value Of Schneider

J.I.A.H.N

I totally agree with the writer of this topic. Personally I think we will get much more for Schneider than some of the people on here think, but if Schnieder has this little value around the league than I think the only pragmatic thing to do is to try and trade Luongo. Moving forward, Schneider is obviously the better choice to keep just based on his age, but also he has to be one of the most mentally grounded and mature goalies we have ever had. Im not trying to diminish what Luongo is, but if teams arent willing to pay the price for Schneider than I dont want to see him moved.

I think you need to look at recent trades of other young goalies to get an idea of what Schneider might be worth.

Trade #1:

Jaroslav Halak trade in 2010. Halak was 25 years old, and coming off a great playoff run, and good regular season. Halak was traded for a high end prospect in Lars Eller (former 13th overall pick) and a mid-level prospect in Ian Schultz.

Trade #2:

Semyon Varlamov trade in 2011. Varlamov, 22, was traded for a 1st round and 2nd round pick of a team that did not make the playoffs the previous season. So, a high to mid first rounder plus a 2nd round pick was the value.

The Halak trade was done by Gauthier who proved to be an incompetent GM, and Varlamov was younger and less proven than Schneider. I think Halak and Schneider are good comparables, but we also have reason to believe Gauthier did not get full value for Halak, so Schneider should get a little more than Halak did for Montreal.

Schneider's value should be:

- 1st round pick (approx 10th overall) OR a team's #1 or #2 prospect (player 22 and under)

- 2nd round pick OR a team's #5-#10 prospect/young player

- 2nd or 3rd round pick depending on the other picks/players

The other possibility is an NHL ready player who is around the same career stage as Schneider. A 26 years old or younger who has a few seasons of NHL development under his belt. I could see essentially a one-for-one trade in that sort on instance, but I don't see any teams where that kind of trade is a fit right now.

I really don't think the Canucks will take back a veteran player who is in his 30's for Schneider.

Everyone(Lous Fans) look at Lou in the past tense...what he HAS done since coming into the league, but the fact is, Schneider has outplayed him all season,. The stats prove it ! Thats not to say Lou is finished, but he needs to find consistancy and soon. Lou has had the huge advantange of playing with the powerhouse Canucks..and still his stats are mediocre this season. Nucks thinks Lou is better....obviously knows nothing about goaltending.

Schneider is worth a lot more than some people give him credit for. I can guarantee that 29 teams will be asking for him this summer. Only in a perfect world we could keep both Lu and Schneides and convince them to go 50/50 on the season. :( Both deserve to be starters.

No team with an established number under long term contract will look into him, but many teams will. I imagine Toronto, TB and Columbus will make attempts at over payments (though Toronto has nothing we want) GMMG holds all the cards here, I am sure we'll get a great return.

What has Schnider proven exactly ? Gillis' hand isn't as strong as you make it out to be. If a team really wanted him why not offer him a sheet ? Why deal with Gillis at all and field unrealistic offers like yours ?

If Schneider is worth that much Crawford is worth even more...

I ve stated in other threads that I would prefer to keep Schneids over Lou. I think sometimes Lou has too much comfort in his contract and takes nights off work without telling the coaches. Schneids shows up every night. When he s between the pipes, we know he s gonna give 110% every night and Vancouver s gonna have a chance to win. Schneider is younger than Lou and could be had at a cheaper price to start. Although I don t think Lou is gonna garnish as much attention as Schneids would ( due to contract size and limitations), I believe he should be shopped at the draft rather than Cory.

Obviously, once again, the Florida teams would be the natural trading partners; but what could we get out of one of the two teams?

Florida is lookin pretty good right now and probably wouldn t pay the price MG would ask so that leaves Tampa.

I know it means nothing, but a popular opinion is that Jordan Shroeder deserves a shot at the big club next year ( although position may be a puzzle ); with the thought that this happens, does MG go for draft picks or stay with now and get someone he can plug into the line up now?

Like most people on here, I am horrible at creating a deal that makes sense and is fair, so I am mostly interested in other opinions.

Again, this is hypethetical on the thought that we keep Schneids and deal Lou ( If possible )

If you were the GM of say TB, you would be assuming that no one else is after Schneider. If I was GM, and wanted him, I would be putting up a very solid offer sheet, and would probably be kicking myself for not trading for his exclusive rights where I would not have to over pay to land him, because I was in a bidding war.

You see, IMO, I would be talking to MG and get permission to iron out a deal before the trade was finalized, then I would be knowing if I was getting him or not. ( I can't remember the players name, but it has happened just this way, and unless Cory has his own plan, where he screws the Canucks, he wants to play for a team that wants him, so he should sign for that team, not guaranteed, but this is usually the case.

You need to keep in mind, Schneider hasn't proven he can be a starter. He's put up very good numbers on a very strong team.

Manny Legace, 05-06 was 37-8 and top 10 in every important goalie category. Was he suddenly really valuable? Of course he wasn't young at that point, but his performance and situation on a very strong team gives a good comparison. He didn't go on to be incredible after that. He was just a run of the mill goalie.

While we all feel Schneider is great, none of us KNOW if he can handle the starter's role. Steve Mason looked like he was going to be phenomenal after being rookie of the year and posting great stats, but look at him now.

Then look at what Washington got for Varlamov, a mid to late 1st round pick and a conditional second round pick. A young goalie that looked talented but hadn't really proven he could be a starter, and most people thought Washington got a high return for him. I'd hope Schneider could get more than Varlomov did, but the ideas of what people in this thread have proposed he is worth are completely delusional.

You need to keep in mind, Schneider hasn't proven he can be a starter. He's put up very good numbers on a very strong team.

Manny Legace, 05-06 was 37-8 and top 10 in every important goalie category. Was he suddenly really valuable? Of course he wasn't young at that point, but his performance and situation on a very strong team gives a good comparison. He didn't go on to be incredible after that. He was just a run of the mill goalie.

While we all feel Schneider is great, none of us KNOW if he can handle the starter's role. Steve Mason looked like he was going to be phenomenal after being rookie of the year and posting great stats, but look at him now.

Then look at what Washington got for Varlamov, a mid to late 1st round pick and a conditional second round pick. A young goalie that looked talented but hadn't really proven he could be a starter, and most people thought Washington got a high return for him. I'd hope Schneider could get more than Varlomov did, but the ideas of what people in this thread have proposed he is worth are completely delusional.

Yeah some people way undervalue Schneids' value. I think a package consisting of

- Top six calibre forward

- A bottom six forward

- A top pair d man

- A solid back up

- A grade A prospect/top 5-10 first rounder

Would be the right value for Cory.

Archived