Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 12 votes

Canucks Have To Dump Cory Schneider Like It Or Not.

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#1 NuckNuckNucks

NuckNuckNucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

POPULAR

He has to get his shot at being a starting goalie and he won't get it here in Vancouver. And it's creating competitive but negative effects on the team especially going into the playoffs.

Luongo is our No.1 and deservedly so. He has brought us here again to the top. He has been the most consistent player for the team all year. Is he capable of choking a game or two? Yes. Like most goalies who never made it into the Playoffs or got eliminated on the way. Are we at the top because of bad goaltending?

Give Cory his shot and get rid of him this Summer. Many teams will grab him in a heartbeat. Is he better than Luongo? NOT EVEN CLOSE. Put him at the helm of starter, he won't fare so well I think. He still needs a few more seasons for that. His stats are great but mostly in part against teams management calculates he should be able to win in order for our No.1 to get rested.

My prediction is if they get rid of Cory, he will be a starter for whoever grabs him he'll possibly squeak his team into the playoffs (Or not) next year while Lu will bring us back into the top 3 next year.

Schneider can never take No.1 here. If he did, he would go the way of Snow or Cloutier. Loungo is the best we've ever had. Vancouver fans (Mostly bandwagoneers) will always find something to pick about no matter how good they have it. Without Lu, we would be doing exactly what Washington is doing right now. Struggling to stay in.

Let Cory go and lets move on. I doubt if we'll regret it in the next 2 to 3 years.
You have to be a true bandwagoneer if you buy Mike's line about looking for the right deal to trade Luongo.

True fans and hockey diehards know, that is double talk for, "Luongo is a high ticket commodity now or next year, we'll keep him around just in case Schneider turns out to be a lemon and chokes games."

And choke he will.

I know this. I'm never wrong.

#2 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

POPULAR

Kind of like that Cody....what's his name again...guy....

I agree Luongo is our number 1.

I can't wait to see what we get for Cory.

At the same time, if we could keep him somehow, then that would be great too.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#3 NuckNuckNucks

NuckNuckNucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

Kind of like that Cody....what's his name again...guy....

I agree Luongo is our number 1.

I can't wait to see what we get for Cory.

At the same time, if we could keep him somehow, then that would be great too.

I would absolutely love to keep both goalies. But this coulda, shoulda, woulda attitude about Cory being better is ridiculous. It's creating a negative impact on the team. They are human and we'll see the effects if it gets worst regardless of what their poker faces tell you on camera.

The only way to find out is to dump Cory. Because we sure as hell ain't gonna dump Roberto.
You have to be a true bandwagoneer if you buy Mike's line about looking for the right deal to trade Luongo.

True fans and hockey diehards know, that is double talk for, "Luongo is a high ticket commodity now or next year, we'll keep him around just in case Schneider turns out to be a lemon and chokes games."

And choke he will.

#4 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,524 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

POPULAR

I like the part you bolded for emphasis.

Boston. Chicago. The seven games in November that he was the starter.

Edited by Opmac, 03 April 2012 - 11:18 AM.

Posted Image

#5 CanKnucklehead89

CanKnucklehead89

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

POPULAR

I've gotta disagree with the part about Schneider only getting easy games, he's played against Boston, Detroit, Chicago, Nashville, and St. Louis.

#6 Beluga Whale

Beluga Whale

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

Seems like there is new thread for this everyday....
Posted Image
Prestige Worldwide - GM of the Boston Bruins Posted Image

#7 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

I am not saying he is, but where are you 100% sure that Schnieds is not capable of being a better starter? He's never been given a chance to truly vie for the position.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#8 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,328 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

Lets see how the Playoffs play out first. If we lose in the first round and Luongo gets lit up I don't think Gillis will ship Cory out.

Subbancopy.jpg

#9 NuckNuckNucks

NuckNuckNucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

I am not saying he is, but where are you 100% sure that Schnieds is not capable of being a better starter? He's never been given a chance to truly vie for the position.

But he'll never get starter in Vancouver. That is where the problem lies.

He's got some value. Especially if he performs his brilliant magic during the Playoffs, his stock will go up. MG I think is banking on this and will use it to his advantage this Summer. But Lu is our goalie. We have to stay the course.

And choke he will.

#10 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,258 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

Lets see how the Playoffs play out first. If we lose in the first round and Luongo gets lit up I don't think Gillis will ship Cory out.

Agreed. If Luongo has another post season meltdown Gillis needs to find a way to keep Schneider and ship Lu out of town.

2yyb7lj.jpg

#11 Lidstrom

Lidstrom

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

I hope everyone keeps their expectations in check of what we will get in return so theres not a hundred threads discrediting MG if in fact he does get traded (most likely will).

Halak was traded for Eller and Schultz
Varlamov was traded for a 1st and 2nd.

I expect something along those lines. Some of the proposals here make out the Canucks getting the 1st overall pick or 2-3 1st round picks (players +picks). I'm sorry to disappoint but that is a very very unlikely scenario.

Cory is a great goalie and will be for a long time but the same argument is going to come out of every GM's mouth, "Hasn't played a full season"
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,328 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

He's got some value. Especially if he performs his brilliant magic during the Playoffs, his stock will go up. MG I think is banking on this and will use it to his advantage this Summer. But Lu is our goalie. We have to stay the course.

Only have to look to Boston to prove you wrong. Doesn't matter the size of the Contract, 2 great goaltenders work.

2008/2009 - Tim Thomas was the Starter 3 years ago and won the Vezina.

2009/2010 - Tim Thomas has a bad year and Tuuka Rask is the Starter for the whole season and Playoffs.

2010/2011 - Tim Thomas finds his game and is the Starter and wins the Vezina and Conne Smythe.

Subbancopy.jpg

#13 Jacare

Jacare

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

it's a little premature to say that schneider will never get to be a #1 here just yet. if luongo faulters in the playoffs, and the fans turn on him again, thats likely to be it for him in vancouver. then schneids becomes the #1. on a side note, the best organizations are the ones that keep the talent that they develop, not the ones that trade it away.

#14 rain

rain

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

POPULAR

How is Schneider creating negative effects on the team? I get no sense of that at all.

#15 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,713 posts

This, cory could become our starter by the end of the playoffs, and I also disagree about him playing easy games, Boston, Chicago etc, and he played like 6 games in a row lights out one month, so you're wrong.

I also find it funny how there's so many fortune tellers on CDC saying Schneider won't be close to as good as a starter, but I think he will be, he's too calm and positionally sound to have Luongo meltdowns imo.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#16 Gandhi

Gandhi

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

I think Schneider is a more fundamentally sound goalteder with very impressive numbers. To say that he's "not even close" to being as good as Lu is just silly.

#17 jonnycanuck46

jonnycanuck46

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

POPULAR

I still think Schneider would be a smarter option for our future. Not to mention, he can win NOW as well.
Posted Image

Ephesians 2:7-9

"That in the ages to come he might show the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

#18 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,053 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

He has to get his shot at being a starting goalie and he won't get it here in Vancouver. And it's creating competitive but negative effects on the team especially going into the playoffs.

Luongo is our No.1 and deservedly so. He has brought us here again to the top. He has been the most consistent player for the team all year. Is he capable of choking a game or two? Yes. Like most goalies who never made it into the Playoffs or got eliminated on the way. Are we at the top because of bad goaltending?

Give Cory his shot and get rid of him this Summer. Many teams will grab him in a heartbeat. Is he better than Luongo? NOT EVEN CLOSE. Put him at the helm of starter, he won't fare so well I think. He still needs a few more seasons for that. His stats are great but mostly in part against teams management calculates he should be able to win in order for our No.1 to get rested.

My prediction is if they get rid of Cory, he will be a starter for whoever grabs him he'll possibly squeak his team into the playoffs (Or not) next year while Lu will bring us back into the top 3 next year.

Schneider can never take No.1 here. If he did, he would go the way of Snow or Cloutier. Loungo is the best we've ever had. Vancouver fans (Mostly bandwagoneers) will always find something to pick about no matter how good they have it. Without Lu, we would be doing exactly what Washington is doing right now. Struggling to stay in.

Let Cory go and lets move on. I doubt if we'll regret it in the next 2 to 3 years.

Thanks for bolding the one section that was problematic as others have pointed out - Schneider has had anything but soft starts.

There has been nothing negative about having two great goaltenders.

Luongo has not been the most consistent player - not even the most consistent goalie.

Schneider has already shown that he could potentially take the #1 spot here and to compare him to Snow or Cloutier is weak - he has already earned his share of #1 - at this point, I look at them as a tandem.

To say we wouldn't regret losing Schneider is merely speculation and not what reality is indicating at this point.

#19 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Is there a reason why you couldn't post this in an already existing thread, let's say like the one that was floating around yesterday? Maybe the other 100+ already talking about this? Or did you just want your 5 minutes of fame to feel special that you started a thread?

Edited by BuckFoston, 03 April 2012 - 11:31 AM.

#20 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Oh, thank God you made a thread about this! Nobody has ever discussed this before! ...

#21 NuckNuckNucks

NuckNuckNucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

Agreed. If Luongo has another post season meltdown Gillis needs to find a way to keep Schneider and ship Lu out of town.

This could be. But if (Probably not) Cory were to take starter, knowing Vancouver, they'll find something about Cory too and run him out of town. It's a Vancouver tradition. Vancouver is a goalie graveyard.

And choke he will.

#22 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

"dump" may not be quite the word that MG will want to choose when calling the other GMs....

Don't entirely dismiss the possibility of Luongo being moved though... mainly through no real fault of his own. If he does play horribly in the playoffs and get replaced by Schneider, then his staying here will become virtually untenable by virtue of the heat he will get from fans and media.

Look at how much grief that he has gotten for JUST getting us to the 7th game of the SCF last year... AND that us losing had very little to do with him. The odds of us getting that far again are pretty remote, not because we don't have a good team... but just because it is damn hard and requires luck as well.

Hrudey put it corrently recently "Luongo can do no right in Vancouver".

I pin it at a 10-20% chance that it is Luongo that moves in the offseason to a place like Tampa or in the East, mainly because of the reasons above.

This is not a "Luongo-bashing" comment. He is a better and more proven goalie, and his contract is quite good value (regardless of what some folks want to believe)... and it gets to be a better value every year as other goalie salaries rise and his stays the same. In 2-4 years he will move from the middle of the salary pack, to one of the lowest paid starting goalies in the league.

Edited by Provost, 03 April 2012 - 11:33 AM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#23 Jinx_RK17

Jinx_RK17

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

You watch that interview during After hours? He addressed this a bit. He said he's happy here and knows how big of a potential he's got here. He does want to start, there's no doubt about that. We should all take a deep breath and exhale and relax a little bit. I don't know where you're seeing the negative effects this " competition" in the team considering we're on an amazing 6 game win streak and Lou and Schneid are playing amazing and arguably one of the best if not THE best tandem in the league right now.

#24 NuckNuckNucks

NuckNuckNucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

"dump" may not be quite the word that MG will want to choose when calling the other GMs....

Don't entirely dismiss the possibility of Luongo being moved though... mainly through no real fault of his own. If he does play horribly in the playoffs and get replaced by Schneider, then his staying here will become virtually untenable by virtue of the heat he will get from fans and media.

Look at how much grief that he has gotten for JUST getting us to the 7th game of the SCF last year... AND that us losing had very little to do with him. The odds of us getting that far again are pretty remote, not because we don't have a good team... but just because it is damn hard and requires luck as well.

Hrudey put it corrently recently "Luongo can do no right in Vancouver".

I pin it at a 10-20% chance that it is Luongo that moves in the offseason to a place like Tampa or in the East, mainly because of the reasons above.

This is not a "Luongo-bashing" comment. He is a better and more proven goalie, and his contract is quite good value (regardless of what some folks want to believe)... and it gets to be a better value every year as other goalie salaries rise and his stays the same. In 2-4 years he will move from the middle of the salary pack, to one of the lowest paid starting goalies in the league.

Well said.

LOL. Vancouver has such a knack of embracing it's goalies and then devouring them when they start to panic. Even back with Kirk it's always been the case. This lack of support is probably why we will never see the Stanley Cup in Vancouver.

A part of me wishes they make Schneider No.1 so in a few months they can start devouring him and kick him to the curb.

And choke he will.

#25 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

Seems like there is new thread for this everyday....

Yeah, were in contention for the Presidents Trophy, resting players before the playoffs, nothing much else to talk about except what might happen next year.
Sig too big.

#26 JamesTW

JamesTW

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

I love these people who are not Mike Gillis or Cory Schneider stating what Cory or the Canucks have to do. It's one thing to state an opinion it's another to go on a long rant like this repeating what everyone else has already said a thousand times over. If Cory wants to leave the team he will the thing is only Cory knows whether he wants to leave or not no one else does. So until Cory says so himself everyone should just calm the expletive down.

#27 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,482 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

Luongo will be in TB next year.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#28 unbridled_id

unbridled_id

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

Luongo will be in TB next year.

Yea and with their contracts Lou and Lecavalier can get matching walkers...
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“Lady Nancy Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea.
Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.”

#29 VancouverHabitant

VancouverHabitant

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

And it's creating competitive but negative effects on the team especially going into the playoffs.

That's not true, it's just something that the dumb media here in Vancouver made up.
We literally have 24/7 coverage of the Canucks, and in order for all of them to feel like they're not just repeating what the next guy's saying, they start making crap up.

I'd love to take half of the media here and get them to do really in depth analysis of the other teams... make them watch games other then Canucks'

On a sidenote, I do agree with the rest of your post and we should be looking to get a top 6 forward in the summer in a sign and trade.
Posted Image __ Posted Image

#30 bass19

bass19

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

I think Gillis will talk some sense into Cory. Gillis will point out that he has played 31 games this year, they could give him another 10 games next year to put him into the 40GP/season range. Even if he moved to another team and got the starter role he wouldn't be playing much more than that anyways, maybe an additional 10 games. But that is how the league is going these days and pointing that out to Cory might keep him here. If he likes it here and we give him a far contract I could see him staying under that type of a system. If he wants the money, then let the guy have it, but I see him as a pretty loyal dude.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.