The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Have To Dump Cory Schneider Like It Or Not.

NuckNuckNucks

My main problem is I think the team as a whole seems to play better in front of Schneider. Obviously nobody is going to say yeah we play differently depending on who is in net, but it does seem to be the case. I think both Lu and Schneider are great. If I had to choose one, I'd go with Schneider. However Lu has a no trade clause so not sure if he would be willing to leave anyway. Cory being traded though will bring in a very nice piece of the puzzle in winning a cup whereas with Lu you would only get a reasonable return

He has to get his shot at being a starting goalie and he won't get it here in Vancouver. And it's creating competitive but negative effects on the team especially going into the playoffs.

Luongo is our No.1 and deservedly so. He has brought us here again to the top. He has been the most consistent player for the team all year. Is he capable of choking a game or two? Yes. Like most goalies who never made it into the Playoffs or got eliminated on the way. Are we at the top because of bad goaltending?

Give Cory his shot and get rid of him this Summer. Many teams will grab him in a heartbeat. Is he better than Luongo? NOT EVEN CLOSE. Put him at the helm of starter, he won't fare so well I think. He still needs a few more seasons for that. His stats are great but mostly in part against teams management calculates he should be able to win in order for our No.1 to get rested.

My prediction is if they get rid of Cory, he will be a starter for whoever grabs him he'll possibly squeak his team into the playoffs (Or not) next year while Lu will bring us back into the top 3 next year.

Schneider can never take No.1 here. If he did, he would go the way of Snow or Cloutier. Loungo is the best we've ever had. Vancouver fans (Mostly bandwagoneers) will always find something to pick about no matter how good they have it. Without Lu, we would be doing exactly what Washington is doing right now. Struggling to stay in.

Let Cory go and lets move on. I doubt if we'll regret it in the next 2 to 3 years.

I think PITB brought up a pretty good point on After Hours. Why are we so sure that Cory would even want to stay here long term? If I'm a goalie I probably wouldn't. There are plenty of good teams out there where I could go and not have to put up with that kind of abuse.

If we can convince Luongo to go somewhere else, or if the CBA drastically changes that would make such a trade possible, then great, but if we can't and we have to move Schneider I probably wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Think back to 07 when nobody could have imagined that 5 years later tons of fans want Lu shipped out of here. Goalie situations can change really quickly.

Luongo isn't really as big of a choker as everybody thinks IMO. The amount of pressure that he was under in game 7 against Chicago was probably more than what most professional athletes would ever experience. Can you just imagine the pressure in OT after letting Toews tie in the final minute(s) and the President's Trophy Winners risked getting bounced by the 8th seed after being up 3-0 and losing to the Blackhawks for the 3rd consecutive season? That is unbelievable pressure and he still put up a really stellar effort including his robbery of Patrick Sharp in OT. That to me shows he can get it done in the big game.

I'll fully recognize that he crapped the bed beyond belief in game 6 against Boston but all of the others you can say all of the Canucks sucked too. Where was the #1 ranked PP, where were the goals, etc, etc. I remember one of those games there was a lot of bad bounces and in the other there were a ton of defensive blunders that I identified and posted on facebook so I could dig them up.

I agree with you %100 about the 'negative influence' story that is being made up by the media.

Now as far as the return for Corey, you have to look at the other prospects that are available.

Jonathan Bernier from the Kings

Josh Harding from the Wild

Lindback from the Preds

Tim Thomas or Tuuka Raask from the Bruins

Assuming that the Bruins choose to stick with Raask, you have to assume that Corey Schneider is the top prospect amongst the bunch, but the fact that there is so much choice might drive the price down.

I think that we'll be lucky if we get a 1st round pick and (a top 4 d-man or a top 6 foward).

A dream scenario:

We keep both goalies, Luongo agrees to sit back as 1b, Schneider takes 1a and gets to prove his worth which I think he can. Not as good as Roberto but he will be stellar enough where his value would be indisputable. Then make a decision on who to keep.

This would satisfy both fans and bandwagoneers.

But this is just a dream. Cory will be gone after Playoffs win or lose.

"dump" may not be quite the word that MG will want to choose when calling the other GMs....

Don't entirely dismiss the possibility of Luongo being moved though... mainly through no real fault of his own. If he does play horribly in the playoffs and get replaced by Schneider, then his staying here will become virtually untenable by virtue of the heat he will get from fans and media.

Look at how much grief that he has gotten for JUST getting us to the 7th game of the SCF last year... AND that us losing had very little to do with him. The odds of us getting that far again are pretty remote, not because we don't have a good team... but just because it is damn hard and requires luck as well.

Hrudey put it corrently recently "Luongo can do no right in Vancouver".

I pin it at a 10-20% chance that it is Luongo that moves in the offseason to a place like Tampa or in the East, mainly because of the reasons above.

This is not a "Luongo-bashing" comment. He is a better and more proven goalie, and his contract is quite good value (regardless of what some folks want to believe)... and it gets to be a better value every year as other goalie salaries rise and his stays the same. In 2-4 years he will move from the middle of the salary pack, to one of the lowest paid starting goalies in the league.

Option 1. We'll have a lot of very emotional fans that won't understand due to their lack of knowledge on how it should work or why, but all you have to do is look at Hodgson and how it's been forgotten already after a few short weeks.

Sounds like the same stuff we said about Snow and Cloutier. Lu is the best goalie we've had in Canuck history. Stay the course.

Cory is unproven. And put him as No.1 next year (A bad choice) and he'll be burned at the stake like every other goalie that has played for Vancouver. If you guys really cared for Schneider, you'd hope he finds a good home.

A dream scenario:

We keep both goalies, Luongo agrees to sit back as 1b, Schneider takes 1a and gets to prove his worth which I think he can. Not as good as Roberto but he will be stellar enough where his value would be indisputable. Then make a decision on who to keep.

This would satisfy both fans and bandwagoneers.

But this is just a dream. Cory will be gone after Playoffs win or lose.

So how long do you stay the course with Lou? Another year, two, five, seven? Do you think opportunities like Schneider will just keep coming along? Smart money bets on Schneids.

And Vancouver is a good home for him. If you were a real Scottsman, you'd know that.

And as for being unproven, how much more does he need to do to prove himself? He's the real deal. There's no doubt about that any more.

To start Corey is no longer a gamble, it's a smart/safe move. That's not to say Lou isn't a reliable goal tender, but his shelf life is a lot shorter than CS's, and it makes it makes strategic sense to keep Schneider. Long term and short term.

Stay they course for as long as his contract states. are we not here again in top spot? Regardless of the team meltdown collapse of last year, did he not bring us to the final dance? Are we not in a good position to give it another go this year?

The problem with some bandwagoneers here is their gift to panic and over react WAY too soon. It's not buyers remorse. It's about having a 4 year old Ferrari and trying to convince your wife that you need a new one because the windshield on your old one won't deflect bugs as well.

Is Schneider proven? No way in hell. He looks great, well composed and with padded stats made better from games like last night with the Ducks, looks like a hero. That is the convenience of being a backup goalie.

Put him under the spot light, give him Roberto's schedule, media pressure and responsibilities. Then we can honestly say he's proven. If you give him No1 next year will he do as well as Luongo? Not even close.

This rush to remove a goalie who is taking us this close, for a goalie that will take us a few steps backwards to get to where we are now is insane and can only suggest illiteracy to the sport of hockey. I'll put my faith in AV and MG. They see this as most real fans do.

After we win the Cup it will be hard to let either go. My thoughts which have nothing to do with what the Canucks will do.....is we move RL and Ballard and Raymond for Nash and Webber signs as UFA and we go with Cory and Lack.

Like I said though after we win the Cup we keep them both...neither will want to move.

Stay they course for as long as his contract states. are we not here again in top spot? Regardless of the team meltdown collapse of last year, did he not bring us to the final dance? Are we not in a good position to give it another go this year?

Archived