The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Have To Dump Cory Schneider Like It Or Not.

NuckNuckNucks

After we win the Cup it will be hard to let either go. My thoughts which have nothing to do with what the Canucks will do.....is we move RL and Ballard and Raymond for Nash and Webber signs as UFA and we go with Cory and Lack.

Like I said though after we win the Cup we keep them both...neither will want to move.

Luongo will only decline from here, he just turned 33 and I guarantee his best years are now behind him. The smart decision would be to go with Schneider who is just coming into his prime. You value your own biased opinion way too highly, I don't understand why your opinion is more valid than anyone else......oh yeah because you type it in every post u make and anyone who doesn't share your biased opinion is a bandwagoner with no hockey knowledge....give me a break.

I think most people agree that Lu has tremendous amounts of pressure on him here and has been dealing with it pretty darn good. Price had a few meltdowns in MTL and Luongo has been pretty composed. I am not going to address the dump Luongo threads because they are idiotic. Cory has been playing very well... Is he as good as Luongo, not yet and who knows if he will be as a #1 goalie... time will tell. He will be gone next year because he deserves to start and get paid which he clearly will and we will wish him well.

Luongo's contract is great for the Canucks. 5.3 million cap hit is an excellent price for a top 5 goalie.

One thing that I need to get off my chest is the CoHo trade... Man I still can't believe how little we got for him. I understand if we need to trade him at the draft. Could we not get #1 Defenseman that our team lacks (Elder isn't there yet) by trading CoHo and Cory as a package?? Instead we will probably end up with Kassian and a unproven first round pick. I bet you if we Tampa would trade Hedman for CoHo and Cory. ( we probably could get a prospect too)

Hedman is not quite a #1 yet, but he will be... Ideally Shea Weber for CoHo & Cory would be godsent but don't think thats realistic.

Who here can name the last Stanley Cup Champions without a #1 defenseman?

Go Canucks!

He has to get his shot at being a starting goalie and he won't get it here in Vancouver. And it's creating competitive but negative effects on the team especially going into the playoffs.

Luongo is our No.1 and deservedly so. He has brought us here again to the top. He has been the most consistent player for the team all year. Is he capable of choking a game or two? Yes. Like most goalies who never made it into the Playoffs or got eliminated on the way. Are we at the top because of bad goaltending?

Give Cory his shot and get rid of him this Summer. Many teams will grab him in a heartbeat. Is he better than Luongo? NOT EVEN CLOSE. Put him at the helm of starter, he won't fare so well I think. He still needs a few more seasons for that. His stats are great but mostly in part against teams management calculates he should be able to win in order for our No.1 to get rested.

My prediction is if they get rid of Cory, he will be a starter for whoever grabs him he'll possibly squeak his team into the playoffs (Or not) next year while Lu will bring us back into the top 3 next year.

Schneider can never take No.1 here. If he did, he would go the way of Snow or Cloutier. Loungo is the best we've ever had. Vancouver fans (Mostly bandwagoneers) will always find something to pick about no matter how good they have it. Without Lu, we would be doing exactly what Washington is doing right now. Struggling to stay in.

Let Cory go and lets move on. I doubt if we'll regret it in the next 2 to 3 years.

He has to get his shot at being a starting goalie and he won't get it here in Vancouver. And it's creating competitive but negative effects on the team especially going into the playoffs.

Luongo is our No.1 and deservedly so. He has brought us here again to the top. He has been the most consistent player for the team all year. Is he capable of choking a game or two? Yes. Like most goalies who never made it into the Playoffs or got eliminated on the way. Are we at the top because of bad goaltending?

Give Cory his shot and get rid of him this Summer. Many teams will grab him in a heartbeat. Is he better than Luongo? NOT EVEN CLOSE. Put him at the helm of starter, he won't fare so well I think. He still needs a few more seasons for that. His stats are great but mostly in part against teams management calculates he should be able to win in order for our No.1 to get rested.

My prediction is if they get rid of Cory, he will be a starter for whoever grabs him he'll possibly squeak his team into the playoffs (Or not) next year while Lu will bring us back into the top 3 next year.

Schneider can never take No.1 here. If he did, he would go the way of Snow or Cloutier. Loungo is the best we've ever had. Vancouver fans (Mostly bandwagoneers) will always find something to pick about no matter how good they have it. Without Lu, we would be doing exactly what Washington is doing right now. Struggling to stay in.

Let Cory go and lets move on. I doubt if we'll regret it in the next 2 to 3 years.

The doubt is crazy when people talk about corey. Corey has been more consistent than Bobby Lu this entire season. Better stats, fewer blowouts and pulls. What are you guys talking about "easy games" GM Mik Gillis made a point of mentioning they put him into the heat of battle to "get him ready for playoff situations". Schneids has played agains ST. Louis, Detroit, FLA etc. There is no favouritism when it comes to TYPES of games played by either goalie.

So now where is the excuse for people who put Luongo 10 paces ahead of Schneider RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW. I'm sorry. Luongo is having a off season for him. Corey is the go to guy AT LEAST for this year. The stats speak for themselves.

Corey

http://canucks.nhl.c....htm?id=8471239

Bobby Lu

http://canucks.nhl.c....htm?id=8466141

Luongo gets the start these playoffs, but the leash is so short, AV might as well be holding his hand.

A goaltender will be traded. We can only use one goaltender at a time, it would be an opportunity wasted if we don't trade. Both are exceptional goaltenders, we are really fortunate to have both this playoff run - and we should use both while we can.

Question 1: Which goaltender is of greater value to Vancouver?

Question 2: Which goaltender can get the greatest return?

Question 3: What is the desired return?

It all depends on the return doesn't it? Schneider won't land us a Norris-caliber D, but Lu might... But do you really want to trade him? Really tough decision...

I don't understand why Luongo is always regarded as the absolute #1. I understand that he's been our #1 for a long time and we have him to a long-term contract but our #1 goalie should be based purely on play at the present time. Schneider has done absolutely everything he can in the time he has been given and more importantly is incredibly consistent. There is no rationale to stating that he can't do anything without giving him a chance. It will come to no surprise that if Luongo has any sign of meltdown (by that I am referring to the type of goals let in rather than the absolute number) then Schneider will step in.

In terms of what we do in the offseason, Schneider is our ticket to bring in one or two high end prospects/young players which will help smooth over the transition time for when the sedins/bieksa are past their prime.

I don't understand why Luongo is always regarded as the absolute #1. I understand that he's been our #1 for a long time and we have him to a long-term contract but our #1 goalie should be based purely on play at the present time. Schneider has done absolutely everything he can in the time he has been given and more importantly is incredibly consistent. There is no rationale to stating that he can't do anything without giving him a chance. It will come to no surprise that if Luongo has any sign of meltdown (by that I am referring to the type of goals let in rather than the absolute number) then Schneider will step in.

In terms of what we do in the offseason, Schneider is our ticket to bring in one or two high end prospects/young players which will help smooth over the transition time for when the sedins/bieksa are past their prime.

What I don't understand is why these bandwagonner groupies are calling for Roberto's head when he's bought us to the finals last year and now on the verge of clinching the West and Prez?

Wow. These guys should step away from the crackpipe and give their heads a shake.

Luongo will start game 1 of the 1st round and this city will soon see the annual event of a Luongo meltdown in the playoffs. Hopefully this year MG and AV will have the wisdom and courage to let Schneider take over and win before it is too late. I would say Luongo should sit for good once he let in 2 softies or quickies in any game. Vancouver will not only lose games playing Luongo in goal but will also have their Ds go down like flies again such that there won't be enough healthy bodies left if they run deep again. Luongo the lazy overpaid goalie makes ZERO attempts to control rebounds in most games. Even with the harmless shots or dump-ins, he only pushes the pucks to the corners and sideboards if not right into the slot. All teams playing against Luongo will throw everything on net once they cross the blue line and the poor Vancouver Ds are engaged in a dogfight for the puck in the slot, at the end boards and have to take all the fierce forechecks shift after shift and injuries are certain. Schneider is a better goalie in all aspects, especially on rebound controls which makes life much easier for the Ds and more will survive the playoff grind.

Vancouver do not have to dump a future great goalie Schneider in favor of the sieve Luongo. All Vancouver has to do is to give Luongo the well deserved backup role or simply send him to the Wolves on cap space concerns. Luongo will automatically waive his no trade clause just like any goalie with egos. Luongo still has his trading values. Tampa will jump at the opportunity to acquire Luongo and they will be quaranteed a playoff team if not a contender with the firepower they have. Burke and Nonis from Toronto would also love to have Luongo to help upgrade their poor goaltending. At age 33, it is about time for Luongo to move closer to his family in Florida or Montreal. The Canucks will be a much better team next year if without Luongo.

Archived