The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Have To Dump Cory Schneider Like It Or Not.

NuckNuckNucks

Luongo will start game 1 of the 1st round and this city will soon see the annual event of a Luongo meltdown in the playoffs. Hopefully this year MG and AV will have the wisdom and courage to let Schneider take over and win before it is too late. I would say Luongo should sit for good once he let in 2 softies or quickies in any game. Vancouver will not only lose games playing Luongo in goal but will also have their Ds go down like flies again such that there won't be enough healthy bodies left if they run deep again. Luongo the lazy overpaid goalie makes ZERO attempts to control rebounds in most games. Even with the harmless shots or dump-ins, he only pushes the pucks to the corners and sideboards if not right into the slot. All teams playing against Luongo will throw everything on net once they cross the blue line and the poor Vancouver Ds are engaged in a dogfight for the puck in the slot, at the end boards and have to take all the fierce forechecks shift after shift and injuries are certain. Schneider is a better goalie in all aspects, especially on rebound controls which makes life much easier for the Ds and more will survive the playoff grind.

Vancouver do not have to dump a future great goalie Schneider in favor of the sieve Luongo. All Vancouver has to do is to give Luongo the well deserved backup role or simply send him to the Wolves on cap space concerns. Luongo will automatically waive his no trade clause just like any goalie with egos. Luongo still has his trading values. Tampa will jump at the opportunity to acquire Luongo and they will be quaranteed a playoff team if not a contender with the firepower they have. Burke and Nonis from Toronto would also love to have Luongo to help upgrade their poor goaltending. At age 33, it is about time for Luongo to move closer to his family in Florida or Montreal. The Canucks will be a much better team next year if without Luongo.

A goaltender will be traded. We can only use one goaltender at a time, it would be an opportunity wasted if we don't trade. Both are exceptional goaltenders, we are really fortunate to have both this playoff run - and we should use both while we can.

Question 1: Which goaltender is of greater value to Vancouver?

Question 2: Which goaltender can get the greatest return?

Question 3: What is the desired return?

It all depends on the return doesn't it? Schneider won't land us a Norris-caliber D, but Lu might... But do you really want to trade him? Really tough decision...

I'd rather have the better goalie playing for our team then the right thing to do - schneider is statistically the better one and I'd have to disagree with you on Luongo being the most consistent player all year, if you think that then schneider would be in that category too. I'm not confident going into the playoffs with Lu, I know he brought us to Game 7 but I just can't for the life of me support this guy. He's being played poorly for a goalie of his caliber on Tuesday.

This whole goaltending situation with the Canucks reminds me of when I was a kid.

I had a shiny Charizard and a shiny Blastoise (both first edition) and was forced by my mom to give one of them to my little cousin because he wouldn't stop whining that he didn't have any cards himself. I was only 10 at the time and it was the hardest decision I ever had to make up until that point in my young life.

In the end, I kept Charizard because he was my favorite from the start. He won me many deck battles and helped me gain respect from my friends.

My cousins Blastoise however ended up crumpled up and mistreated because he didn't even know how to play Pokemon cards. It was really a shame.

This whole goaltending situation with the Canucks reminds me of when I was a kid.

I had a shiny Charizard and a shiny Blastoise (both first edition) and was forced by my mom to give one of them to my little cousin because he wouldn't stop whining that he didn't have any cards himself. I was only 10 at the time and it was the hardest decision I ever had to make up until that point in my young life.

In the end, I kept Charizard because he was my favorite from the start. He won me many deck battles and helped me gain respect from my friends.

My cousins Blastoise however ended up crumpled up and mistreated because he didn't even know how to play Pokemon cards. It was really a shame.

If it were up to me, I would keep Cory and Roberto. I absolutely love both these guys. Cory is a class act. But they are human. To say Cory feels he can be starter and Roberto feels unnecessary pressure from fans and media is valid and most likely true.

Most GMs and coaches are saying, "Unproven because he's never had a full season." This is a bang on assessment.

Like a 100m sprinter at the top of his field moving up to 400m and find he is average and should stay in 100m.

Schneider is a brilliant goalie. But only as BACKUP in Vancouver. He will not be as good as Luongo unless he leaves.

It's a painful truth. One wouldn't need to analyze any further.

• 9 months later...

Because Schneider looked solid on the bench after being taken out.

Now some bandwagoneers here might say this is just the first game, but he's already been choking during the strike when he was playing and getting yanked in the Swiss league.

Unproven, artificially padded stats and now without the protection of Luongo, say goodbye to any chance for the Stanley for MANY YEARS TO COME. That is of course they put Luongo back in.

I warned CDC and Canucks fans everywhere - the pressure of playing in Vancouver as a starter is COMPLETELY different to playing as a backup. Luongo is one of the best if not the best in the world at playing under pressure - he's done it and excelled in the Olympics where he had to outplay the game's best in Brodeur, then did it in the playoffs to carry this sorry team to Game 7 despite no offensive help.

Now he's replaced by Schneider because Schneider put up good numbers as a backup in spot starts with no mental or physical fatigue worries, but more importantly because the team played terribly in the Stanley Cup playoffs against L.A. Luongo played well in the first two games, Schneider didn't do much better (just won 1 game). This kid still has no experience compared to Luongo and it's showing now.

In 2013 we see Schneider, dubbed our starter (just because he played 3 games last playoffs, Luongo played 2 and AV particularly mentioned that it was due to the team's poor play and for change, not a swapping of the guard in net). Now he's playing with the pressure of a starting goaltender and has one of the worst statistics in the NHL.

Bombed out in one game, pitches a decent shutout in another and craps it once again against San Jose (even scored on himself on that Marleau goal). This inconsistency is exactly what everyone criticized Luongo of, how ironic that it's happening to the once "consistent, positionally perfect" Schneider. Schneider is nothing special and is definately NOT a better goaltender than Luongo. The only reason his numbers were fantastic the last two seasons was because he was playing behind the best team in the NHL and had a few spot starts here and there.

Cory Schneider, welcome to the pressure of a starting goaltender in the NHL. He clearly wasn't ready for this, and if he doesn't adapt soon he's the one that should be traded, not Luongo. We don't have another 3 seasons for him to get used to the pressure or our window will expire. Instead look to the goalie who is a proven starter already, and that's Luongo, not Schneider.

Trade Luongo now and this team closes it's Stanley Cup window.

Archived