The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Have To Dump Cory Schneider Like It Or Not.

NuckNuckNucks

They are both good goalies. Ive been a Lu supporter all along, hate the way he is treated, but to turn around and treat schneider the same way is hypocritical. Goalies cant win in this town.

Heres the facts, Cory is younger and has a higher ceiling than Luongo as Cory hasnt hit his prime yet. And i think Cory battles harder. I love Lu and he is by far the best goalie this team has ever had, but how many goal line scrums the puck winds up under his pad in the net.

Cory has much greater potential, hes just not as far developed as majority thinks he is.

Besides u need A LOT more than just a good goalie to win cups. Look how many rings chris osgood has?

Enough with the negativity surrounding our players...

I warned CDC and Canucks fans everywhere - the pressure of playing in Vancouver as a starter is COMPLETELY different to playing as a backup. Luongo is one of the best if not the best in the world at playing under pressure - he's done it and excelled in the Olympics where he had to outplay the game's best in Brodeur, then did it in the playoffs to carry this sorry team to Game 7 despite no offensive help.

Now he's replaced by Schneider because Schneider put up good numbers as a backup in spot starts with no mental or physical fatigue worries, but more importantly because the team played terribly in the Stanley Cup playoffs against L.A. Luongo played well in the first two games, Schneider didn't do much better (just won 1 game). This kid still has no experience compared to Luongo and it's showing now.

In 2013 we see Schneider, dubbed our starter (just because he played 3 games last playoffs, Luongo played 2 and AV particularly mentioned that it was due to the team's poor play and for change, not a swapping of the guard in net). Now he's playing with the pressure of a starting goaltender and has one of the worst statistics in the NHL.

Bombed out in one game, pitches a decent shutout in another and craps it once again against San Jose (even scored on himself on that Marleau goal). This inconsistency is exactly what everyone criticized Luongo of, how ironic that it's happening to the once "consistent, positionally perfect" Schneider. Schneider is nothing special and is definately NOT a better goaltender than Luongo. The only reason his numbers were fantastic the last two seasons was because he was playing behind the best team in the NHL and had a few spot starts here and there.

Cory Schneider, welcome to the pressure of a starting goaltender in the NHL. He clearly wasn't ready for this, and if he doesn't adapt soon he's the one that should be traded, not Luongo. We don't have another 3 seasons for him to get used to the pressure or our window will expire. Instead look to the goalie who is a proven starter already, and that's Luongo, not Schneider.

Trade Luongo now and this team closes it's Stanley Cup window.

Schneider is a good goalie and will be an NHL starter, but we have no basis or evidence that says he'll be better than Luongo - just probability.

So the probability that this kid who has played some 58 regular season games, 1 playoff win and a good AHL career (which means nothing compared to the NHL as countless players have proven) will end up better than Luongo who is a top-10 ALL TIME goaltender in the NHL.

That's right, people forget how high up in the record books Luongo is. He'll finish his career top-10 if not higher in wins and shutouts, plus this guy performs in big games. He single-handedly won us Game 7 against Chicago, IMO this franchise's biggest win to date (if we lost that game this franchise becomes the league's laughing stock and we see the biggest rehaul to date). Oh and he also won Canada gold in a very close match, as well as dragging this team to Game 7 against Boston despite our team in front of him being brutally outplayed.

So basically, Schneider has to end up as a top-10 NHL goalie of all time to be better than Luongo. The probability of that happening is so slim, and that's the probability MG is going with if he trades Luongo and keeps Schneider. I don't like those odds at all, I'd much rather stick with Luongo.

Look at Boston - they had a Rask-Thomas problem, Rask "overthrew" Thomas one season, stunk it up the next and Thomas comes back despite being "washed up" and "too old", only to put up the best season ever by a goaltender and carry his team to a Cup.

Don't give up on Luongo - Boston didn't give up on their veteran goalie and look what happened. If we don't show loyalty to one of the game's best and this team's greatest goalie ever we will pay the price.

You are a manifestation of the stupidity that seems to be the lifeblood of the majority of this fanbase. People who've likely never played hockey competitively at any level somehow convincing themselves they understand the intrinsics of the sport and know how to manage a hockey club. It's not hard to see why Canucks fans are hated so widely.

You are a manifestation of the stupidity that seems to be the lifeblood of the majority of this fanbase. People who've likely never played hockey competitively at any level somehow convincing themselves they understand the intrinsics of the sport and know how to manage a hockey club. It's not hard to see why Canucks fans are hated so widely.

Schneider is a good goalie and will be an NHL starter, but we have no basis or evidence that says he'll be better than Luongo - just probability.

So the probability that this kid who has played some 58 regular season games, 1 playoff win and a good AHL career (which means nothing compared to the NHL as countless players have proven) will end up better than Luongo who is a top-10 ALL TIME goaltender in the NHL.

That's right, people forget how high up in the record books Luongo is. He'll finish his career top-10 if not higher in wins and shutouts, plus this guy performs in big games. He single-handedly won us Game 7 against Chicago, IMO this franchise's biggest win to date (if we lost that game this franchise becomes the league's laughing stock and we see the biggest rehaul to date). Oh and he also won Canada gold in a very close match, as well as dragging this team to Game 7 against Boston despite our team in front of him being brutally outplayed.

So basically, Schneider has to end up as a top-10 NHL goalie of all time to be better than Luongo. The probability of that happening is so slim, and that's the probability MG is going with if he trades Luongo and keeps Schneider. I don't like those odds at all, I'd much rather stick with Luongo.

Look at Boston - they had a Rask-Thomas problem, Rask "overthrew" Thomas one season, stunk it up the next and Thomas comes back despite being "washed up" and "too old", only to put up the best season ever by a goaltender and carry his team to a Cup.

Don't give up on Luongo - Boston didn't give up on their veteran goalie and look what happened. If we don't show loyalty to one of the game's best and this team's greatest goalie ever we will pay the price.

Luongo is not a top 10 all-time goalie over Roy, Hasek, Parent, Brodeur, Plante, Sawchuk, Dryden, Hall, Bower, Belfour, Esposito, Fuhr, Hainsworth, Durnan...you're taking your Luongo love to new heights DownUnda.

Also, if you're using Boston as your example then you believe Schneider should start the rest of this year to see if your theory holds true? Schneider doesn't have to surpass Luongo's prime to be starter, just has to outplay Luongo now and, in case you haven't noticed, it's been 5 games. We've got a small sample size so far.

For somebody who defends Luongo so furiously for having a bad game or the D playing poorly in front of him, you don't give Schneider the same benefit of the doubt. He outplayed Luongo against the Kings; you can't call playoff games against the eventual champs 'spot games'. He earned his role to start the season, and it hasn't been a long enough determination period to say he's unfit for the #1 gig.

I can sum it up like this: What would you be saying if Luongo was having his usual bad start and people were calling for Schneider? Answer me that.

As somebody who's more of a Luongo fan than a Schneider fan, I think it's hilarious when people put their favourite players above the team. Luongo's my favourite goalie of all-time, but I can recognize we've got a younger goalie with loads of potential who has earned a shot this season.

No Gaurentee that Loungo would have faired much better. Seriously two give aways by your top Dmen to start the game Lappy untimly penalty. 0-7 On the powerplay.And if our players learned to hit the net ,not the post then yes we would have won.

Don't get wrong here Nucks! I respect your opinion. What do you need to see in a goaltender to prove his worth? I look at it another way. When Lui Played with Florida at 22 years of age. Do you think Lui was too young and inexperience to bring up?When he was traded here at 26 he Never played on an NHL team that finished above .500 Never played in a hockey mad city before And never played in a Stanley Cup playoff game until he came here. To a point Nuck Loungo also came here unproven with no playoff expereince.

We don't know what Schnieder career is going to be.But at the same time we don't want to see another Goaltender like Mclean who after taking us to the finals and in two years as his skills declined. Not every goaltender can play as long or as consistent as a Marty Broduer.

Unproven and inexperience? You have to restock and get younger at some point. Carey Price was a starter at 21. Edmonton took a chance on goaltenders like Moog who was 20 and Fuhr was 19,Both young and inexperience. But learned to get better as years went on.

Ken Dryden only had 6 games under his belt and was made the starting goaltender for Montreal for their playoff run. Patrick Roy won a cup at 21 years with only 4o odd games under his belt after coming out of Major Jr with a GAA OVER 5 the year before. We don't have say much about Brouder. Hey we can say the same thing about Fluery in Pittsburg. Do you think if a Gm was worrying about unproven and experience do you think those teams would have won those cups if Montreal had Roy in the farm system until he's 24 or 25, same with Fuhr,Moog ,FlueryBelfour, and Broduer with their respective teams? I'll tell ya it wasn't always smooth for them either. Not saying Cory is going to take us to the cup,But its also his first year as a starter. What does a goalie need to be proven . How much games or seasons in your mind would be called experienced?

Archived