The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Have To Dump Cory Schneider Like It Or Not.

NuckNuckNucks

People need to realize that Luongo's time here has ended. He will be moved soon, like it or not. MG has chosen that he wants to go with the younger and maybe potentially better Cory Schneider. Luongo was a great goalie and played awesome, but someone has stolen that job from him. He can either win it back, or start fresh somewhere else.

In my opinion, Luongo isn't top 10 in anything until he wins something. Jennings trophies don't count. And Canada would have won that gold medal, regardless of who was in net. In fact, Luongo almost blew it by letting USA tie it in the dying seconds (something that Luongo is well known for).

He didn't carry the Canucks to the Stanley Cup Finals, and again, almost blew it against the Hawks in the first round.

I am not leaning towards Schneider or Luongo, I just can't stand to listen to Luongo fan-boys praising Luongo for all that he has done, when in reality, he has zero noteworthy awards, and most importantly, has proven to be unable to get the job done in the playoffs.

I don't understand why the goalie saga.... the team has two very competitive goalies and they can both be starters (CS still needs to prove he can can last an entire season as a starter though).

I believe when the right player(s) come on the market and the trade will favor us for whatever reason might be, MG will most likely trade either one in order to achieve or try to achieve the ultimate goal which is the SC... At the moment I don't think we can trade Lu or Cory since we don't have a real backup goalie...

In my opinion, Luongo isn't top 10 in anything until he wins something. Jennings trophies don't count. And Canada would have won that gold medal, regardless of who was in net. In fact, Luongo almost blew it by letting USA tie it in the dying seconds (something that Luongo is well known for).

He didn't carry the Canucks to the Stanley Cup Finals, and again, almost blew it against the Hawks in the first round.

I am not leaning towards Schneider or Luongo, I just can't stand to listen to Luongo fan-boys praising Luongo for all that he has done, when in reality, he has zero noteworthy awards, and most importantly, has proven to be unable to get the job done in the playoffs.

There are a cross section of Canuck fans with bland and stolen opinions from other bland fans who live and die by local sports media babbling.

And variations of that fan theme.

One of which is you.

You are the failed Hockey jock that clings to his coulda-been Hockey dreams, which gives him/her some grandiose insight on how the NHL works.

And you totally kick-ass in all your Hockey pools...name drop pro Hockey players who you have brushed up against...and probably have a decent passing knowledge of the history of the game and your preferred team. If you are of a certain demographic, you probably play the living poop out of EA NHL.

In this context of 1 of the busiest NHL team message boards, you types astonishingly exhibit ham fisted, long winded, convoluted condescending, passive aggressive opinions about Canucks Hockey and anyone that doesnt agree with you because you foolishly hide behind those kinds of things. You are probably one of the biggest blowhards on HF Boards.

You are the kind of Canucks fan in the recent past of CDC that:

• Wanted the Twins to be let go when they became UFA's after MG's first year. For such classic 'reasons' like the tired "they are too soft"

• Thought that Kesler had hands of stone...and was a career 3rd liner. Same goes for Burrows.

• That there should be a coaching change. Which is generally a constant opinion, no matter who it is coaching. Yep. Arniel would have totally taken this version of the Canucks to the Stanley Cup final.

• Cherry picks negative stats to boost a non-argument, yet the raw historic info plainly illustrate differently.

There are sooooo many more examples of just flat out silly grievances. You aint special in your maligned opinions.

For arguments sake, suspending present day reality and context: If this shortened season was laid out in an elaborate tournament style of far less that 48 games with only a small opportunity to trade to improve your team. Would you really actually subtract 2 ridiculously strong pieces of defence?!

Im reaching there, but the scenario remains.

MG is pretty darn shrewd. His job is to maintain player personnel to have a winning team.

A tandem of Schnieds and Lu would give ANY team a chance to win it all in a shortened NHL season.

Schneider is a good goalie and will be an NHL starter, but we have no basis or evidence that says he'll be better than Luongo - just probability.

So the probability that this kid who has played some 58 regular season games, 1 playoff win and a good AHL career (which means nothing compared to the NHL as countless players have proven) will end up better than Luongo who is a top-10 ALL TIME goaltender in the NHL.

That's right, people forget how high up in the record books Luongo is. He'll finish his career top-10 if not higher in wins and shutouts, plus this guy performs in big games. He single-handedly won us Game 7 against Chicago, IMO this franchise's biggest win to date (if we lost that game this franchise becomes the league's laughing stock and we see the biggest rehaul to date). Oh and he also won Canada gold in a very close match, as well as dragging this team to Game 7 against Boston despite our team in front of him being brutally outplayed.

So basically, Schneider has to end up as a top-10 NHL goalie of all time to be better than Luongo. The probability of that happening is so slim, and that's the probability MG is going with if he trades Luongo and keeps Schneider. I don't like those odds at all, I'd much rather stick with Luongo.

Look at Boston - they had a Rask-Thomas problem, Rask "overthrew" Thomas one season, stunk it up the next and Thomas comes back despite being "washed up" and "too old", only to put up the best season ever by a goaltender and carry his team to a Cup.

Don't give up on Luongo - Boston didn't give up on their veteran goalie and look what happened. If we don't show loyalty to one of the game's best and this team's greatest goalie ever we will pay the price.

the safe route is let them fight it out like last yr, but the main prob this yr is booth and kes injury

if MG cant find a trading partner, doesnt make sense to let lui go

cory is still unproven as #1, that is able to carry the entire nhl season in a hockey craze market. he prob can do it, but betting on that without a track record is not the smartest thing to do when the team is capable of winning a cup.

Archived