The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Have To Dump Cory Schneider Like It Or Not.

NuckNuckNucks

What does a couple of people burning down their city have to do with Luongo or Schneider? We're talking about goaltenders being criticized, not the city being destroyed by a bunch of rioters.

You're assuming Schneider is unproven, yet he shows up every time he plays against good teams. What makes you think he's unproven?

You don't even know what you're talking about.

Cory will have a choice, just like Cody.

Have a role on a heavy weight team like ours for a long time. Or not. The role will not be No. 1

goalie for a while. But he can have his name on SC a few times. Be in a great organization in a great city

Or he can be in Columbus...

I am of a mind to keep him. You offer him a qualifying offer, maybe even more than the minimum raise....and wait to see who signs him to an offer sheet. Then decide if we can afford to match. I say match anything up to and including the 1st and 3rd round draft picks. Then we have an awesome one two punch and great trade material for anytime we wanna use it.

He has to get his shot at being a starting goalie and he won't get it here in Vancouver. And it's creating competitive but negative effects on the team especially going into the playoffs.

Luongo is our No.1 and deservedly so. He has brought us here again to the top. He has been the most consistent player for the team all year. Is he capable of choking a game or two? Yes. Like most goalies who never made it into the Playoffs or got eliminated on the way. Are we at the top because of bad goaltending?

Give Cory his shot and get rid of him this Summer. Many teams will grab him in a heartbeat. Is he better than Luongo? NOT EVEN CLOSE. Put him at the helm of starter, he won't fare so well I think. He still needs a few more seasons for that. His stats are great but mostly in part against teams management calculates he should be able to win in order for our No.1 to get rested.

My prediction is if they get rid of Cory, he will be a starter for whoever grabs him he'll possibly squeak his team into the playoffs (Or not) next year while Lu will bring us back into the top 3 next year.

Schneider can never take No.1 here. If he did, he would go the way of Snow or Cloutier. Loungo is the best we've ever had. Vancouver fans (Mostly bandwagoneers) will always find something to pick about no matter how good they have it. Without Lu, we would be doing exactly what Washington is doing right now. Struggling to stay in.

Let Cory go and lets move on. I doubt if we'll regret it in the next 2 to 3 years.

So what GMs, AV and MG know is wrong and you're right? Aren't you suppose to be in school right now?

Like I said in the other thread, thank God MG and AV understand the difference between a No.1 and Backup goalie. It's good enough for most fans here who understand hockey.

Don't forget to count the games where Luongo fed 3 goals in a few seconds and Schneider was put in to take the loss.

You think this place understands a lot of hockey? That just means you have none. Oh and btw, nice post

Nice try kid. Goes to show how much you know about the value of players.

A lot will depend on the playoffs. Situation is not a sure thing though. Let's take the emotions out and think practically. What can happen:

Option 1. Keep Luongo, Trade Schneider.

- Probably the safest bet - Schneider will likely fetch us an important asset, and everybody will be unhappy for the first few weeks. Given our depth, it will be for the future rather than immediate help. It will likely seem like we got fleeced because we love CS so much. CDCers will bicker over whether MG is the right guy for the job, especially when the Canucks and Luongo enter their annual slump mode in October.

Option 2. Keep Schneider, Trade Luongo.

- Not as outlandish as people think it is. Only concern for me is it looks bad as an organization to part ways with a franchise goalie like this, especially one who is breaking all kinds of franchise records. But Luongo at cap hit of ~5M is very reasonable. The length of the contract, not so much. But if Jeff Carter (who is not worth his contract or his cap hit) can be traded twice, I'm sure there is a market for an elite goalie, gold medalist, with great work ethic, and well-liked teammate and a veteran leader. Tampa Bay, Toronto, Columbus are just three teams that basically imploded largely due to their goaltending. I think they can throw some important pieces for a goalie that could stablize and secure that position right away - remember how Luongo stabilized the Canucks when we hadn't had a stable goalie for a decade? He does have a NTC, but I really don't think that matters in this day and age; so many guys willing to waive their NTC. If Lu agrees to waive, then it will not be for hockey related reason, that's for sure. If this unlikely scenario does unfold, he'll likely be headed somewhere closer to Florida (family) or Montreal (family) i.e. somewhere in the East.

Third Option. Keep Luongo. Keep Schneider.

The only reason why this will likely not happen is because we think Schneider will want to be a starter somewhere else. But if we were to offer him market value and promise him more starts as 1A, 1B tandem, will he stay? He'll have a better chance at winning than at a rebuilding club like Columbus. If we go far into the playoffs again, our guys would have played roughly 50 more games. That's about ~210 games over two seasons. We will need two goalies next year. Luongo has played a lot of hockey already in his young career (the guy used to start 70 games regularly). Schneider is a smart guy. He realizes what this team can offer and likes the organization. Does he covet the starting role more than winning as a 1B guy? Time will tell. If we really wanted to, we could clear out cap space deadweights in Ballard, and that alone would give us space for Schneids to stay. Both Luongo and Schneider have stolen SO many games this year; I fee like ~8M is justified to have a WALL in our net. And for those who bring up Price's cap hit to compare to Schneids, know this... Price's payday is coming soon.

Fourth Option. Trade Luongo. Trade Schneider.

Kidding.

A lot will depend on the playoffs. Situation is not a sure thing though. Let's take the emotions out and think practically. What can happen:

- Probably the safest bet - Schneider will likely fetch us an important asset, and everybody will be unhappy for the first few weeks. Given our depth, it will be for the future rather than immediate help. It will likely seem like we got fleeced because we love CS so much. CDCers will bicker over whether MG is the right guy for the job, especially when the Canucks and Luongo enter their annual slump mode in October.

- Not as outlandish as people think it is. Only concern for me is it looks bad as an organization to part ways with a franchise goalie like this, especially one who is breaking all kinds of franchise records. But Luongo at cap hit of ~5M is very reasonable. The length of the contract, not so much. But if Jeff Carter (who is not worth his contract or his cap hit) can be traded twice, I'm sure there is a market for an elite goalie, gold medalist, with great work ethic, and well-liked teammate and a veteran leader. Tampa Bay, Toronto, Columbus are just three teams that basically imploded largely due to their goaltending. I think they can throw some important pieces for a goalie that could stablize and secure that position right away - remember how Luongo stabilized the Canucks when we hadn't had a stable goalie for a decade? He does have a NTC, but I really don't think that matters in this day and age; so many guys willing to waive their NTC. If Lu agrees to waive, then it will not be for hockey related reason, that's for sure. If this unlikely scenario does unfold, he'll likely be headed somewhere closer to Florida (family) or Montreal (family) i.e. somewhere in the East.

The only reason why this will likely not happen is because we think Schneider will want to be a starter somewhere else. But if we were to offer him market value and promise him more starts as 1A, 1B tandem, will he stay? He'll have a better chance at winning than at a rebuilding club like Columbus. If we go far into the playoffs again, our guys would have played roughly 50 more games in the last two seasons. That's about ~210 games over two seasons. We will need two goalies next year. Luongo has played a lot of hockey already in his young career (the guy used to start 70 games regularly). Schneider is a smart guy. He realizes what this team can offer and likes the organization. Does he covet the starting role more than winning as a 1B guy? Time will tell. If we really wanted to, we could clear out cap space deadweights in Ballard, and that alone would give us space for Schneids to stay. Both Luongo and Schneider have stolen SO many games this year; I fee like ~8M is justified to have a WALL in our net. And for those who bring up Price's cap hit to compare to Schneids, know this... Price's payday is coming soon.

Kidding.

The only reason why this will likely not happen is because we think Schneider will want to be a starter somewhere else. But if we were to offer him market value and promise him more starts as 1A, 1B tandem, will he stay? He'll have a better chance at winning than at a rebuilding club like Columbus. If we go far into the playoffs again, our guys would have played roughly 50 more games. That's about ~210 games over two seasons. We will need two goalies next year. Luongo has played a lot of hockey already in his young career (the guy used to start 70 games regularly). Schneider is a smart guy. He realizes what this team can offer and likes the organization. Does he covet the starting role more than winning as a 1B guy? Time will tell. If we really wanted to, we could clear out cap space deadweights in Ballard, and that alone would give us space for Schneids to stay. Both Luongo and Schneider have stolen SO many games this year; I fee like ~8M is justified to have a WALL in our net. And for those who bring up Price's cap hit to compare to Schneids, know this... Price's payday is coming soon.

Kidding.

Honestly, If we've got to trade Cory I say that the Mike Gillis should go after Filip Forsberg in the draft. Forsberg is a young Swedish Center, he plays a good physical two-way game, he's an offensive dynamo and projected as top 5-to-8 pick. He's also listed as a Left Winger although I think he's got a right-handed shot. We all know that Tampa Bay lacks a good, young goaltender in their system and that team is a contender coming out of the East if they filled that position. Watch the draft lottery closely because I think that's going to spell out where Cory goes.

I also don't believe that 5'8 Jordan Schroeder is a good Centre to build the team around, size is my rationale for that conclusion. There's no question that this guy is a character player. There's also no question that he's having a great year in the AHL right now. I just don't see that translating to the NHL because of his size.

This talk about trading Roberto Luongo is ridiculous. Luongo is one of our franchise players. Trading him would be an error of epic proportions. Roberto Luongo is consistently one of the top goaltenders in the league in GAA and Save PCT. Stop blaming the loss in SCF Game 7 on Lu. That team simply wasn't constructed to win Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals

Furthermore, I think management should take a look at drafting either Malcolm Subban or Andrei Vasilevski and groom either one of them into our starting goaltender. Roberto Luongo is 32, which is still a prime age for a goaltender in the New NHL. I'd say that Roberto has 5-6 years left in him.

So I'd say that the best plan for MG this offseason would be A)Trade Raymond, re-sign Gragnani B) Trade Ballard and Schneider, draft a Top Centre Prospect and a Goaltender C) Success :towel:

But Boston didn't burn their city down. Schneider is a Canuck yes. A very good Canuck. But Luongo is our No.1 and all this nonsense that an unproven backup goalie (But a brilliant one) is better than Roberto is childish, idiotic and can only come from bandwagoneers that don't know hockey.

I can tell you're a back seat passenger.

Honestly, If we've got to trade Cory I say that the Mike Gillis should go after Filip Forsberg in the draft. Forsberg is a young Swedish Center, he plays a good physical two-way game, he's an offensive dynamo and projected as top 5-to-8 pick. He's also listed as a Left Winger although I think he's got a right-handed shot. We all know that Tampa Bay lacks a good, young goaltender in their system and that team is a contender coming out of the East if they filled that position. Watch the draft lottery closely because I think that's going to spell out where Cory goes.

I also don't believe that 5'8 Jordan Schroeder is a good Centre to build the team around, size is my rationale for that conclusion. There's no question that this guy is a character player. There's also no question that he's having a great year in the AHL right now. I just don't see that translating to the NHL because of his size.

This talk about trading Roberto Luongo is ridiculous. Luongo is one of our franchise players. Trading him would be an error of epic proportions. Roberto Luongo is consistently one of the top goaltenders in the league in GAA and Save PCT. Stop blaming the loss in SCF Game 7 on Lu. That team simply wasn't constructed to win Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals

Furthermore, I think management should take a look at drafting either Malcolm Subban or Andrei Vasilevski and groom either one of them into our starting goaltender. Roberto Luongo is 32, which is still a prime age for a goaltender in the New NHL. I'd say that Roberto has 5-6 years left in him.

So I'd say that the best plan for MG this offseason would be A)Trade Raymond, re-sign Gragnani B) Trade Ballard and Schneider, draft a Top Centre Prospect and a Goaltender C) Success :towel:

I think Lou will be the one traded maybe not this summer maybe next,we can keep Scheids another year for sure (he's a restricted free agent) and this summer or next move Lou to a Florida team (which is where he really want to be anyway) bring Lack up as a back-up and just keep rolling!

Cory will have a choice, just like Cody.

Have a role on a heavy weight team like ours for a long time. Or not. The role will not be No. 1 goalie for a while. But he can have his name on SC a few times. Be in a great organization in a great city.

Or he can be in Columbus...

I can only think of three feasable explanations for why this thread exists:

A) You can see into the future.

B) Your a troll.

C) You work for Canucks Management, in which case, you'd have a full disclosure agreement in place. Highly unlikely.

Schneider has played many important games, and many games in a row this season. His stats have been strong since he's been a starter in Manitoba. As for whether or not he

can be the starter in Vancouver, this all depends on how Luongo plays in the playoffs. I'm sure the media and fans have pushed this guy to the brink these past few seasons, of things go bad the post season he may want to get out of town. Hence, opening the door for Schneider.

Archived