The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Have To Dump Cory Schneider Like It Or Not.

NuckNuckNucks

I think Lou will be the one traded maybe not this summer maybe next,we can keep Scheids another year for sure (he's a restricted free agent) and this summer or next move Lou to a Florida team (which is where he really want to be anyway) bring Lack up as a back-up and just keep rolling!

He has to get his shot at being a starting goalie and he won't get it here in Vancouver. And it's creating competitive but negative effects on the team especially going into the playoffs.

Luongo is our No.1 and deservedly so. He has brought us here again to the top. He has been the most consistent player for the team all year. Is he capable of choking a game or two? Yes. Like most goalies who never made it into the Playoffs or got eliminated on the way. Are we at the top because of bad goaltending?

Give Cory his shot and get rid of him this Summer. Many teams will grab him in a heartbeat. Is he better than Luongo? NOT EVEN CLOSE. Put him at the helm of starter, he won't fare so well I think. He still needs a few more seasons for that. His stats are great but mostly in part against teams management calculates he should be able to win in order for our No.1 to get rested.

My prediction is if they get rid of Cory, he will be a starter for whoever grabs him he'll possibly squeak his team into the playoffs (Or not) next year while Lu will bring us back into the top 3 next year.

Schneider can never take No.1 here. If he did, he would go the way of Snow or Cloutier. Loungo is the best we've ever had. Vancouver fans (Mostly bandwagoneers) will always find something to pick about no matter how good they have it. Without Lu, we would be doing exactly what Washington is doing right now. Struggling to stay in.

Let Cory go and lets move on. I doubt if we'll regret it in the next 2 to 3 years.

A lot will depend on the playoffs. Situation is not a sure thing though. Let's take the emotions out and think practically. What can happen:

Option 1. Keep Luongo, Trade Schneider.

- Probably the safest bet - Schneider will likely fetch us an important asset, and everybody will be unhappy for the first few weeks. Given our depth, it will be for the future rather than immediate help. It will likely seem like we got fleeced because we love CS so much. CDCers will bicker over whether MG is the right guy for the job, especially when the Canucks and Luongo enter their annual slump mode in October.

Option 2. Keep Schneider, Trade Luongo.

- Not as outlandish as people think it is. Only concern for me is it looks bad as an organization to part ways with a franchise goalie like this, especially one who is breaking all kinds of franchise records. But Luongo at cap hit of ~5M is very reasonable. The length of the contract, not so much. But if Jeff Carter (who is not worth his contract or his cap hit) can be traded twice, I'm sure there is a market for an elite goalie, gold medalist, with great work ethic, and well-liked teammate and a veteran leader. Tampa Bay, Toronto, Columbus are just three teams that basically imploded largely due to their goaltending. I think they can throw some important pieces for a goalie that could stablize and secure that position right away - remember how Luongo stabilized the Canucks when we hadn't had a stable goalie for a decade? He does have a NTC, but I really don't think that matters in this day and age; so many guys willing to waive their NTC. If Lu agrees to waive, then it will not be for hockey related reason, that's for sure. If this unlikely scenario does unfold, he'll likely be headed somewhere closer to Florida (family) or Montreal (family) i.e. somewhere in the East.

Third Option. Keep Luongo. Keep Schneider.

The only reason why this will likely not happen is because we think Schneider will want to be a starter somewhere else. But if we were to offer him market value and promise him more starts as 1A, 1B tandem, will he stay? He'll have a better chance at winning than at a rebuilding club like Columbus. If we go far into the playoffs again, our guys would have played roughly 50 more games. That's about ~210 games over two seasons. We will need two goalies next year. Luongo has played a lot of hockey already in his young career (the guy used to start 70 games regularly). Schneider is a smart guy. He realizes what this team can offer and likes the organization. Does he covet the starting role more than winning as a 1B guy? Time will tell. If we really wanted to, we could clear out cap space deadweights in Ballard, and that alone would give us space for Schneids to stay. Both Luongo and Schneider have stolen SO many games this year; I fee like ~8M is justified to have a WALL in our net. And for those who bring up Price's cap hit to compare to Schneids, know this... Price's payday is coming soon.

Fourth Option. Trade Luongo. Trade Schneider.

Kidding.

so what's with ppl mentioning if,should, luongo meltdown , Luongo will melt down in the playoff in almost every post? it's as if the fans here wanted him to fail so badly that he'll be shipped out and Schneider will be our starter... Keep in mind.. If Luongo were to falter, and Schneider does ok.. prolly means we are out of the playoff and another year wasted.. Each passing year our chance of winning the cup decrease exponentially,, we are getting older.. teams are starting to figure out the Sedins.. and we'll just become a good regular season team that'll make the playoff with no chance of winning the cup anytime soon... So i guess those that wants Schneider to be the starter here and Luongo to be shipped out for a bag of pucks don't really want the team to win the Cup ever... Sure Schneider being the starter here could be good in the long term.. but we probably won't have as strong of a team forward and defense wise to make a cup run.. Salo who knows could be retired this yr or next.. Sedins point production is starting to dip as it's getting back to the clutch and grab era, who knows if any of our rookies in the farm will ever pan out.. etc etc etc.. so much question marks..

I would absolutely love to keep both goalies. But this coulda, shoulda, woulda attitude about Cory being better is ridiculous. It's creating a negative impact on the team. They are human and we'll see the effects if it gets worst regardless of what their poker faces tell you on camera.

The only way to find out is to dump Cory. Because we sure as hell ain't gonna dump Roberto.

But Boston didn't burn their city down. Schneider is a Canuck yes. A very good Canuck. But Luongo is our No.1 and all this nonsense that an unproven backup goalie (But a brilliant one) is better than Roberto is childish, idiotic and can only come from bandwagoneers that don't know hockey.

I can tell you're a back seat passenger.

Whatever Nancy dont get your panties in a bunch, I dont think its creating a negative impact on the team, having two solid goal tenders is definetly creating a positive impact. It looks like Schneids would be a solid goalie for any team, he just has that about him. Cory's the most confident goalie I've seen in a long ass time, he hasn't dissapointed us once this season. Lu, as much as I am still a fan of him and support him, has been for the last 3 years having stellar seasons and brings us in the playoffs, but somehow choking big time (Chi, Bos). I think Schneids would have won us that game 7 or atleast not let in as many goals. Keep Lu for the playoffs untill he messes up big time, then put in Schneids

And by messes up big time I mean like game 4,5,6 vs Chicago and 3,4,6,7 vs Boston. Those are moments where I trip out with Luongo, I dont know what to think of the guy when he pulls sh** off like that. Goal after goal leading to us being blown out and embarrassed.

Since Lou was injured a few years back the Canucks have played 8 series in the last 3 seasons. Lou has been bad to very bad in at least 2 games in 5 of them series. All 3 times vs Chicago and once vs L.A and once vs Boston he was terrible, and he was very good in 3 series.

To think Lou has put all his demons behind him when this has been 2nd worst season as aCanuck does not bode well for the team.The only season Lou was worse than this year was 2009-2010 when he had a 2.57 gaa in the regular season and a lovely 3.22 gaa in the playoffs.

In the last 3 years prior to this year Lous gaa for the regular season is 1/2 goal a better than his playoff average. If this happens again one can expect to be toast in round 2 if AV does not wake up and give Cory the chance to right the ship because giving up 3 goals a game will not get it done.

this is just a ridiculous portrayal of the situation in Vancouver,and pretty much an attack on Schneider.Luongo is our number 1 and deservedly so? while I agree Luongo has been a very reliable starter for the majority of the regular season,come playoff time,all the fans are sitting around the poker table,all eyes on lou,and we dont know what to expect on the river.the guy could be holding Aces,or he's got nothing.I for one am tired of Luongo constantly being the guy,and collapsing.Let's not forgot the only reason the Canucks have a goaltending controversy(if that's what we're calling it) is because Schneider has played his way from a backup to a viable starter.Any true Canucks fan would be hard pressed to not admit Luongo's play in the playoffs has forever dipped since Scott Niedermayer scored that goal to send Anaheim to the conference final in Luongo's first season here,where Luongo was looking at the ref asking for goaltender interference.He played like the Superstar goalie we all know he can be in that first playoffs,all the saves versus Dallas and he was THE only reason we were in the series at all against Anaheim,who at the time were clearly a superior team,and the best goaltending in the world couldn't save us that series.All in all i'm basically saying that ever since that goal Luongo has not been the goaltender he was that first year for us in that playoffs,honestly he's looked rattled since,he needs to find the consistency he had in that series.And to tell me Luongo is miles ahead and that we would be where Washington is right now is just pathetic.Washington has several problems that we do not have,and we would be exactly where we are now with Schneider in net the whole season,and that's my opinion.Just because he hasn't been given the games to prove himself you can't discredit the guy,his lateral ability,all around awareness,ability to Never let his emotions affect his play and overall CONSISTENCY let alone his record as a starter sv % GAA whatever you want have all been stellar,and he hasn't had a chance to prove himself in the playoffs,and basically referencing one game where he started as a failure simply because you view it as one does not make it true,let's not forget Luongo is the one who let's in 5,6,or 7 in multiple series,hell if we only get scored against twice with Schneider at least its not 7!

and if your gunna call me a bandwagoner because my opinion is different from yours realize i support 2 franchises that haven't won a championship in 90+ years of being in their respective league(Vikings and Canucks)I coulda picked any teams that were good at the time

Archived