The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Have To Dump Cory Schneider Like It Or Not.

NuckNuckNucks

"dump" may not be quite the word that MG will want to choose when calling the other GMs....

Don't entirely dismiss the possibility of Luongo being moved though... mainly through no real fault of his own. If he does play horribly in the playoffs and get replaced by Schneider, then his staying here will become virtually untenable by virtue of the heat he will get from fans and media.

Look at how much grief that he has gotten for JUST getting us to the 7th game of the SCF last year... AND that us losing had very little to do with him. The odds of us getting that far again are pretty remote, not because we don't have a good team... but just because it is damn hard and requires luck as well.

Hrudey put it corrently recently "Luongo can do no right in Vancouver".

I pin it at a 10-20% chance that it is Luongo that moves in the offseason to a place like Tampa or in the East, mainly because of the reasons above.

This is not a "Luongo-bashing" comment. He is a better and more proven goalie, and his contract is quite good value (regardless of what some folks want to believe)... and it gets to be a better value every year as other goalie salaries rise and his stays the same. In 2-4 years he will move from the middle of the salary pack, to one of the lowest paid starting goalies in the league.

You watch that interview during After hours? He addressed this a bit. He said he's happy here and knows how big of a potential he's got here. He does want to start, there's no doubt about that. We should all take a deep breath and exhale and relax a little bit. I don't know where you're seeing the negative effects this " competition" in the team considering we're on an amazing 6 game win streak and Lou and Schneid are playing amazing and arguably one of the best if not THE best tandem in the league right now.

"dump" may not be quite the word that MG will want to choose when calling the other GMs....

Don't entirely dismiss the possibility of Luongo being moved though... mainly through no real fault of his own. If he does play horribly in the playoffs and get replaced by Schneider, then his staying here will become virtually untenable by virtue of the heat he will get from fans and media.

Look at how much grief that he has gotten for JUST getting us to the 7th game of the SCF last year... AND that us losing had very little to do with him. The odds of us getting that far again are pretty remote, not because we don't have a good team... but just because it is damn hard and requires luck as well.

Hrudey put it corrently recently "Luongo can do no right in Vancouver".

I pin it at a 10-20% chance that it is Luongo that moves in the offseason to a place like Tampa or in the East, mainly because of the reasons above.

This is not a "Luongo-bashing" comment. He is a better and more proven goalie, and his contract is quite good value (regardless of what some folks want to believe)... and it gets to be a better value every year as other goalie salaries rise and his stays the same. In 2-4 years he will move from the middle of the salary pack, to one of the lowest paid starting goalies in the league.

I love these people who are not Mike Gillis or Cory Schneider stating what Cory or the Canucks have to do. It's one thing to state an opinion it's another to go on a long rant like this repeating what everyone else has already said a thousand times over. If Cory wants to leave the team he will the thing is only Cory knows whether he wants to leave or not no one else does. So until Cory says so himself everyone should just calm the expletive down.

I think Gillis will talk some sense into Cory. Gillis will point out that he has played 31 games this year, they could give him another 10 games next year to put him into the 40GP/season range. Even if he moved to another team and got the starter role he wouldn't be playing much more than that anyways, maybe an additional 10 games. But that is how the league is going these days and pointing that out to Cory might keep him here. If he likes it here and we give him a far contract I could see him staying under that type of a system. If he wants the money, then let the guy have it, but I see him as a pretty loyal dude.

I think Gillis will talk some sense into Cory. Gillis will point out that he has played 31 games this year, they could give him another 10 games next year to put him into the 40GP/season range. Even if he moved to another team and got the starter role he wouldn't be playing much more than that anyways, maybe an additional 10 games. But that is how the league is going these days and pointing that out to Cory might keep him here. If he likes it here and we give him a far contract I could see him staying under that type of a system. If he wants the money, then let the guy have it, but I see him as a pretty loyal dude.

He has to get his shot at being a starting goalie and he won't get it here in Vancouver. And it's creating competitive but negative effects on the team especially going into the playoffs.

Luongo is our No.1 and deservedly so. He has brought us here again to the top. He has been the most consistent player for the team all year. Is he capable of choking a game or two? Yes. Like most goalies who never made it into the Playoffs or got eliminated on the way. Are we at the top because of bad goaltending?

Give Cory his shot and get rid of him this Summer. Many teams will grab him in a heartbeat. Is he better than Luongo? NOT EVEN CLOSE. Put him at the helm of starter, he won't fare so well I think. He still needs a few more seasons for that. His stats are great but mostly in part against teams management calculates he should be able to win in order for our No.1 to get rested.

My prediction is if they get rid of Cory, he will be a starter for whoever grabs him he'll possibly squeak his team into the playoffs (Or not) next year while Lu will bring us back into the top 3 next year.

Schneider can never take No.1 here. If he did, he would go the way of Snow or Cloutier. Loungo is the best we've ever had. Vancouver fans (Mostly bandwagoneers) will always find something to pick about no matter how good they have it. Without Lu, we would be doing exactly what Washington is doing right now. Struggling to stay in.

Let Cory go and lets move on. I doubt if we'll regret it in the next 2 to 3 years.

He has to get his shot at being a starting goalie and he won't get it here in Vancouver. And it's creating competitive but negative effects on the team especially going into the playoffs.

Luongo is our No.1 and deservedly so. He has brought us here again to the top. He has been the most consistent player for the team all year. Is he capable of choking a game or two? Yes. Like most goalies who never made it into the Playoffs or got eliminated on the way. Are we at the top because of bad goaltending?

Give Cory his shot and get rid of him this Summer. Many teams will grab him in a heartbeat. Is he better than Luongo? NOT EVEN CLOSE. Put him at the helm of starter, he won't fare so well I think. He still needs a few more seasons for that. His stats are great but mostly in part against teams management calculates he should be able to win in order for our No.1 to get rested.

My prediction is if they get rid of Cory, he will be a starter for whoever grabs him he'll possibly squeak his team into the playoffs (Or not) next year while Lu will bring us back into the top 3 next year.

Schneider can never take No.1 here. If he did, he would go the way of Snow or Cloutier. Loungo is the best we've ever had. Vancouver fans (Mostly bandwagoneers) will always find something to pick about no matter how good they have it. Without Lu, we would be doing exactly what Washington is doing right now. Struggling to stay in.

Let Cory go and lets move on. I doubt if we'll regret it in the next 2 to 3 years.

Archived