The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Looks Like Caps' Prospect Kuznetsov Will Stay In Russia Next Year.

This would be disappointing news for a Washington fan. The guy put up 40 points in 49 regular season games and has 5 goals in 7 playoff games so far. He also won silver at the WJC and put up 6 goals/13 points in 7 games as captain of the team.

The 6'3 forward is a free agent at the end of the year in the KHL and doesn't know where he will sign yet. Anything right now would be tampering as his team is still in the playoffs.

This guy was an absolute steal by McPhee at 26th overall, but when will he make the jump over the pond?

‘To be honest, my decision has been reached,” the 19-year-old phenom said. “It is my intention to continue my career in the KHL. At the same time there is no clarity as to which club it will be.”

On these kinds of topics about staying in their home league vs. coming to play in the NHL, how come it seems like Russian players are especially hesitant to cross the ocean to America and are at particular risk of bolting home? Why is it that it other countries' leagues (Elitserien, SM-Liiga, etc.) don't have so much of an issue?

Back on topic, that would be quite the loss for the Caps. While some may say they don't need more Russians the talent's obviously there, and if Semin walks Evgeni could probably slot in and replace at least some of the offense, while providing leadership for the team as well.

If it were me, I'd choose to stay home and get better salary too. The guy just got married, family is his main concern.IMO the general statement that Russians want to stay in the KHL for greed/w.e reason is extremly unfair to them. It sucks for NHL teams that drafted these players, but fans/organizations a like should respect the player's right to decide their own future.

On these kinds of topics about staying in their home league vs. coming to play in the NHL, how come it seems like Russian players are especially hesitant to cross the ocean to America and are at particular risk of bolting home? Why is it that it other countries' leagues (Elitserien, SM-Liiga, etc.) don't have so much of an issue?

Back on topic, that would be quite the loss for the Caps. While some may say they don't need more Russians the talent's obviously there, and if Semin walks Evgeni could probably slot in and replace at least some of the offense, while providing leadership for the team as well.

Evgeny Kuznetsov, center, was the Washington Capitals' first-round pick in 2010. (AP Photo)

"I said I was staying in the KHL so they'd leave me alone," Kuznetsov told a Russian television network on Saturday, according to multiple reports.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2012-03-24/evgeny-kuznetsov-khl-washington-capitals-alexander-radulov#ixzz1r1HIWRoP

Yep. Debatable. But I wouldn't say Granlund is better. They're definitely different types of players - Granlund being a smaller, but very smart playmaking center, whereas Kuznetsov is a strong winger who can control the game in the offensive zone and pull out the odd power move when necessary.

The size factor also goes against Granlund who is 5'10 compared to Kuznetsov's 6'3. I would say that puts Kuznetsov over the edge as a better prospect for the NHL - if he ever decides to come over.

Archived