Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Report] Looks Like Caps' Prospect Kuznetsov Will Stay In Russia Next Year.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#31 Buttock

Buttock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

There is one other reason many players choose the KHL, in addition to the language and the tax-free salaries - it's the second best league in the world. It's not the NHL but it's the next best thing. None of the other European leagues can say that.

#32 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,346 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

With the bigger ice and less physical play, players there have less of a chance of sustaining concussions too.

More net pay + Home country + Language + Health + Bigger fish + National attention = Can't blame him
Posted Image

#33 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

Your unfair judgement of Alex Semin messes up your whole argument. You describe Yakupov in such a glorious manner and then you smash Semin by saying he doesn't belong in this league.

Do you see where you're sounding hypocritical? You THOUGHT Semin would have left, but he's made the choice to stay here and try to succeed in this league. You're giving him zero credit, and that's just unfair.

Actually I was more trying to compare the type of personalities of Russian players. Here you have Yakupov the Ovechkin type eager to learn everything about the NHL and embracing the North American lifestyle by learning the English language.

Meanwhile Semin still pretended until recently that he doesn't know enough English to do interviews even after playing and living in North America all these years.

So I will give him some credit for finally giving an English interview even if was just a basic interview.

Yakupov tries to make a difference every shift. Semin is moody and one shift he can be great and the next make a bonehead play.

The only thing I contribute to Semin sticking around is Ovechkin being there who he is apparently quite close with.

He seems to like living the North American lifestyle something he probably picked up hanging out with Ovechkin.

He mentions in this interview back in September that Washington is a second home for him. So he is comfortable living in North America but not so comfortable trying to speak English.

But I will give him props for finally being willing to try even though he just gave simple answers. :)

http://video.capital...id=32&id=123616

Edited by Hockey Playa, 10 April 2012 - 09:20 PM.

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#34 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:46 AM

Actually I was more trying to compare the type of personalities of Russian players.

Yakupov tries to make a difference every shift. Semin is moody and one shift he can be great and the next make a bonehead play.

Mhmmm, because there aren't any players of other nationalities that do this.

#35 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,471 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

Huh, it might be money?

Shirikov gave up 3 good years, and ended up riding the bus in the minors for a $100 grand. He could have made twenty times that or more. Even an entry contract in NHL, not the minors, is small compared to a KHL deal.

On these kinds of topics about staying in their home league vs. coming to play in the NHL, how come it seems like Russian players are especially hesitant to cross the ocean to America and are at particular risk of bolting home? Why is it that it other countries' leagues (Elitserien, SM-Liiga, etc.) don't have so much of an issue?

Back on topic, that would be quite the loss for the Caps. While some may say they don't need more Russians the talent's obviously there, and if Semin walks Evgeni could probably slot in and replace at least some of the offense, while providing leadership for the team as well.

#36 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:51 AM

Mhmmm, because there aren't any players of other nationalities that do this.

Seems to be more prevalent in Russian players who tend to be highly skilled but not as motivated. Yes there are examples of other nationalities as well though.

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#37 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

On these kinds of topics about staying in their home league vs. coming to play in the NHL, how come it seems like Russian players are especially hesitant to cross the ocean to America and are at particular risk of bolting home? Why is it that it other countries' leagues (Elitserien, SM-Liiga, etc.) don't have so much of an issue?

Back on topic, that would be quite the loss for the Caps. While some may say they don't need more Russians the talent's obviously there, and if Semin walks Evgeni could probably slot in and replace at least some of the offense, while providing leadership for the team as well.

In Russia they get huge salaries, and pay way fewer taxes than in North America, or the rest of Europe. Scandanavian countries, have some of the highest taxes in the world, and lower salaries than in North America and Russia. So for Russian players, they get to stay in their home country, get paid more, get to speak their native tongue, and pay fewer taxes. Essentially, way bigger take-home pay.

#38 Butters Stoch

Butters Stoch

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:23 AM

He could just pull a Radulov and come over a for a lil sample then just bolt whenever he feels like it and comes back again when the WSH starts doing better.

sig by Malkin71

#39 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

I hope he comes over to play for the Caps. He's a very talented player and I would enjoy watching him play on a team with Ovechkin.

#40 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,105 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

This is the whole reason why there is speculation Columbus wants to trade away the #1 pick because they don't want yet another Russian to screw them.

They already had a bad experience with Zherdev and Filatov don't know that they care much for Russian players now.

Washington is one of the few teams left in the NHL who are not afraid to draft Russians high. That would be a huge blow if Ovechkin can't convince Kuznetsov to come over to the NHL.

Maybe he will change his mind in a few years like Radulov and decide to try the NHL.

It just seems Russians have the most problem adjusting to the North American lifestyle and fitting in with the playing style of the NHL compared to other Euro players.

There is a high contingent of Russians in Washington, including Government officials so it is one of the few comforatble and desirable places in N.A. for Russians to live.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#41 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

Huge bump but I didn't want to be flamed in case I was posting old news

It is fair to say that a lot of Washington Capitals' fans were waiting for May 1 to find out if the highly touted prospect Evgeny Kuznetsov, Washington's 26th overall draft pick in the 2010 draft, will come over to the NHL.
Today is the day he became a restricted free agent in the KHL.
Kuznetsov first announced he was staying in Russia a few weeks ago. His agent later took that back, and Kuznetsov himself said his answer was so that "people would just get off [my] back." The amount of flip-flopping was enough to make any politician proud. [thanks, JP!].
Kuznetsov joined Team Russia preparing for the World Championships, skating on the same line as Evgeny Malkin. But it wasn't his chemistry with the Penguins star that the media wanted to know about.
Will he stay or will he go? Kuznetsov spoke with SovSport's Pavel Lysenkov:
"The contract hasn't been signed yet.  But the decision to stay for two more years I have already made. To stay in Russia, in Chelyabinsk. The new contract hasn't been signed yet."
How can you explain this decision? Everyone thought you would join the Capitals next year.
"It's tough to say. But firstly I really want to make the Olympics. I think we have a very strong team and I will continue to gain more experience and progress with the team. I am not ready to go to the NHL right now."
So, this is not a question of money?
"We have agreed to all terms [with Traktor], and it's just a matter of signing a new contract.  Signing it is just a formality at this point."
When you say you're not ready for the NHL, maybe you are talking about the new system the Capitals have implemented?
"To be honest with you I don't know anything about that system. It was a tough decision to make. I spoke with my parents, my wife.  And I decided to stay."
Did the Capitals' GM talk to you?
"Well, there were some talks but I will keep it personal [what was said]. Again, the decision has been made. I made the decision myself. I want to play in Russia. And everyone else who didn't love me when the season ended, maybe they'll be a little quieter now."
You were going back and forth about the decision.  Were you "trolling?" [joking].
"Of course not. I honestly didn't know what to do at the time.  I took a while to think.  A part of me wanted to go to America. Another part wanted to stay. I wasn't ready to say I was staying for sure at the time. We were still negotiating at the time. I had two contract offers on my hands [the other one from the Capitals]. I think in the end I made the right decision and will try to make my fans happy."
How did the Capitals react to your decision?
"They don't know about it yet."
• • •
Well, they do now.
Two months ago we interviewed KHL President Alexander Medvedev who told us "players also have to have a good head on their shoulders to realize that leaving [to the NHL] before the Olympics is not to their advantage. It is obvious that after the Olympics their value and influence is going to be a lot higher regardless of who will actually win the Olympics."
True or not about the latter statement, it looks like the Olympics was the main reason behind Kuznetsov's decision to stay another two years.
Money is also a reason. Players like Kuznetsov and Tarasenko get a special "stipend" from the KHL. Well, Tarasenko is getting it now and Kuznetsov is set to be the recipient next season. It is my understanding that this special "stipend" to young players about equals to the entry level contract compensation in the NHL. Factor in the actual contract (believed to be over $2 million for Kuznetsov next year) and the 13% flat income tax rate, and money talks.
Moreover, the examples of the Habs' defenseman Alexei Emelin, who came to the NHL as a mature player, and Alexander Radulov, who was welcomed with open arms, Kuznetsov is betting that as long as he has the talent and can actually show that he can perform, the road to the NHL is never closed.

105uyog.jpg

Thanks to KhalifaWiz for the incredible sig!

#42 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,802 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

with no agreement in place whatsoever between the KHL and the NHL, NHL teams can talk all they want about bringing him over the pond...tampering only exists where it a line item in an official agreement between leagues.

Consider it like going for a job interview at Wendies when your not actually on shift at McDonalds...it is legal, because slavery is outlawed and you may choose to seek employment where ever you wish, unless you are party to an agreement where you promise not to.

Edited by Primal Optimist, 14 July 2012 - 11:52 AM.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#43 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

i think kuznetsov just doesn't want to play for the Caps.. because in the one quote he says "i said it to make them stop" or something to that extent meaning he doesn't like something about the caps? maybe?

#44 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

wow what a dick. If he never intended on playing in the NHL, then he should never have taken part in the draft! All he's doing is screwing over the caps.

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#45 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

wow what a dick. If he never intended on playing in the NHL, then he should never have taken part in the draft! All he's doing is screwing over the caps.

Maybe you should reread what was said mainly the part about Russia not letting him play in the olympics if he leaves for the nhl bbefore sochi 2014 and he doesnt think he is ready for the physicality of the nhl and doesnt want to play in the minors

Edited by mbal23, 15 July 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#46 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

Don't draft Russians.

#47 Philipp0130

Philipp0130

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

I watched the video of when he was drafted he apparently wants to play in the NHL desperately but that might have changed now that he's married.
Posted Image

#48 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

Does this mean he is trying to bolt for Russia or just pull a Jensen and develop playing against higher competition than junior leagues?
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#49 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

Does this mean he is trying to bolt for Russia or just pull a Jensen and develop playing against higher competition than junior leagues?

Trying to stay on team russias good side until he makes the olympic squad

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.