The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ota (Over The Air) Channels In Vancouver/burnaby Area

LeanBeef

So I've moved into my brothers house and all he has is basic cable with his hdtv. Watching non hd channels on a 70 inch tv is pretty brutal, I would much prefer to watch tv on a 16 inch tv. Anyone know if I'm able to pick up cbc-hd or any other hd channels with any of the following antenna's?

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/category.aspx?category=Antennas&language=en-CA

Btw I'm in southeast vancouver (near champlain/killarney )

Correct me, but didn't all TV go digital last summer?

They did, but you can build or buy from what I've heard a digital/HD antenna that will pick up a handful of stations.

I really don't see the point, I'd rather just pay a bit of cash to be able to have all of the HD stations.

- get a coke can

- cut it in half vertically

- tape each half to a manila envelope or cardboard

- get a coax cable, chop off the connector on one of the ends. solder or tape the inside wire to one end of the can and the shield part of the coax to the other end.

You should get 7 or 8 HD chans with this, including CBC.

- get a coke can

- cut it in half vertically

- tape each half to a manila envelope or cardboard

- get a coax cable, chop off the connector on one of the ends. solder or tape the inside wire to one end of the can and the shield part of the coax to the other end.

You should get 7 or 8 HD chans with this, including CBC.

Yeah, i saw this post already, thats why I made this thread :P

Do you have any reference sites or pics?

I also tried the binderclip antenna without success.

Correct me, but didn't all TV go digital last summer?

OTA (Over the air) tv is now HD digtal but cable tv is still analog unless you get the HD package with a HD terminal. So getting TV over the air can actually be better quality as you get a high definition signal.

Not to mention the HD signal that comes down your cable line is compressed whereas the OTA signal is not.

CBC OTA for HNIC = win

Are you sure it'll work? I live in an area with tons of houses and trees. Will that interfere with the signal?

I have an old CRT TV and because it doesn't have a digital tuner, I had to buy one. Mine is an LG I got for about $40 from the States. I also have one of those Terk rabbit ears things (bought that from the US for about $35), and get CBC, Global, CityTV, CTV2 (Vancouver Istand), CBC French, CTV (Vancouver), and OMNI. Picture and sound are crystal clear and way better than the old analog reception. If I wasn't blocked by the Arbutus Ridge, I might also be able to also get KVOS, KING, and KOMO from Seattle. I'm in Kitsilano in a ground floor apartment.

More info here and here.

An amplified antenna like the DB4 will help you pick up more channels.

Are you sure it'll work? I live in an area with tons of houses and trees. Will that interfere with the signal?

No, houses and trees won't interfere with your signal. What will affect the signal is the area in which you live. The higher the better. For example, Burnaby mountain is good, the Capitol Hill area of Burnaby is good. Renfrew heights in East Van, PNE, Little Mountain or Queen Elizabetth Park areas are good. Downtown Vancouver is not good. (Unless you live high up in a condo). I only get one channel, CBC.

Someone please help me! I'm not able to get cbc or any vancouver based channels! BUT I'm able to get 6 US channels s and chek tv from victoria? How does that make sense? Btw I live in champlain heights

Edit: the weakest channel is the victoria one too! How does that make sense??

Someone please help me! I'm not able to get cbc or any vancouver based channels! BUT I'm able to get 6 US channels s and chek tv from victoria? How does that make sense? Btw I live in champlain heights

Try checking out the forums at digitalhome.ca. They've got a lot of good people there who can give you specific advice.

When I lived in Kerrisdale, I was in a ground floor apartment, surrounded by big concrete towers, and was in the south west corner of my building. I could get CBC, and sort of CTV and City. I got the shopping channel from the US and that was it.

If you are on the north shore and get a nice big antenna with a good quality pre-amp, you can pick up the major Seattle networks (FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS) in addition to the local networks.

I'm lucky here in Toronto as I am about 1.5 km directly north of the CN tower so all the local stuff comes in nice and strong, and Buffalo isn't far across the lake.

Try checking out the forums at digitalhome.ca. They've got a lot of good people there who can give you specific advice.

When I lived in Kerrisdale, I was in a ground floor apartment, surrounded by big concrete towers, and was in the south west corner of my building. I could get CBC, and sort of CTV and City. I got the shopping channel from the US and that was it.

If you are on the north shore and get a nice big antenna with a good quality pre-amp, you can pick up the major Seattle networks (FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS) in addition to the local networks.

I'm lucky here in Toronto as I am about 1.5 km directly north of the CN tower so all the local stuff comes in nice and strong, and Buffalo isn't far across the lake.

Thanks for the advice, but it turns out that my tv skips out all the local vancouver channels (idk why) and is only able to get random channels from the US like mytv, cool tv, and a couple of other useless ones. The only channel that I got that is useful is chek tv hd... From victoria.

No playoffs in hd for me :(

Thanks for the advice, but it turns out that my tv skips out all the local vancouver channels (idk why) and is only able to get random channels from the US like mytv, cool tv, and a couple of other useless ones. The only channel that I got that is useful is chek tv hd... From victoria.

No playoffs in hd for me :(

What do you mean it skips them all?

Try moving your antenna around. Tune to the CBC channel (2.1 or 58.1 I think) and use the tv's signal meter. Then move the antenna around. Try to get it to the north side of the house so you can see Seymour mountain.

Hmm, I just put your neighbourhood into tvfool and it doesn't look too promising

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d267ef89f7a03e4

What do you mean it skips them all?

Try moving your antenna around. Tune to the CBC channel (2.1 or 58.1 I think) and use the tv's signal meter. Then move the antenna around. Try to get it to the north side of the house so you can see Seymour mountain.

Hmm, I just put your neighbourhood into tvfool and it doesn't look too promising

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d267ef89f7a03e4

Here's my exact location's tvfool

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d267e362485a4cb

My tv only has an auto program option, but it skips doesn't go through the 'real' channels that should be shown here (cbc, global, etc.)

It's really frustrating, especially considering the fact that playoff's is in about a week

Archived