Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 10 votes

Absolute Classless Reaction Of Lu Pull.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
476 replies to this topic

#451 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

I am with you, as a Canuck fan in alberta here its getting tougher and tougher to admit I am associated with those idiots that just don't get hockey. Even the first one that Bobby Lu let in was not entirely on him, if I recall correctly there was a stick in the way - granted he's an elite tender that should have made that save, but it was a much more difficult save than most realize. bottom line, Luongo has stolen playoff series for us before, and almost did so in the finals last year - two of the three wins were shutouts remember? Of course not. Most Canuck fans these days seem to have a 10 sec memory. Its getting harder and harder to wear the jersey around and have to agree with Flames and Oilers fans about the idocy of the majority of Canucks fans. But I guess nothing will change, unless Mr Linden starts smacking some sense into those that don't get it. I am not even sure that will work.....

I think people only remember the bad games in Boston and every game that Luo allows the first goal in that is weak, they are reminded of those weak goals in Boston. He will never live those games in Boston down, until he wins the cup in many peoples mind he will be remembered for those games in Boston. Is it right! not in my mind, but those games where terrible for everyone.

#452 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

Oh yeah I'm fully aware I'm not directly contributing to the monthly Range Rover payments but collectively as fans we are contributing to players salaries.

It just seemed in your posts that you were stating a disconnect between this business relationship.

At the end of the day if a fan isn't happy with the on ice product that fan would have to withhold every form of financial contribution. The reality is that rarely happens in a market like Vancouver. We used to watch terrible teams here in a lesser albeit more intimate rink.

Here we are today with a league leading team bitching about the coho trade and off nights for our goalies playing behind five skaters having off nights.

Right. Collectively we are, but that doesn't entitle any single one of us to use the collective for our own opinion. We speak only for ourselves and only with our contribution, which is a mere drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things. For me the disconnect is for people overstating their role in that business reality.

And you're right. Ours is a dedicated market, which speaks to our devotion to our team and hockey in general. But, that dedication, admirable as it is, is our own choice and not "payment" for ownership.

And I couldn't agree more with your assessment of our "problems." We're pretty freaking lucky all in all.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#453 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,100 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

Detroit has a similar spoiled-brat element to their fanbase - they booed the Wings almost immediately after their all-time best home winning streak was snapped - a game later, a failing power play, and the whiners start booing... Obvious response is to consider them idiots.

#454 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

You're taking it too literally of course one voice does not speak for the whole but the bottom line no fans no salaries. Fans' dollars are part of their profits, not salaries and no profits no money to pay those salaries once again it comes down to without the fans to make those profits there is no salaries that can be payed.
Ever hear the old saying the "customer is always right" why do you think that is? In most cases where someone is saying they pay for the players salaries they're speaking as a whole just like everyone likes to use the saying "our team", we do not own the team. I do understand your point, but you are not even trying to understand the other view you just trying to make yourself look like you have the only correct answer. One paying ticket holder in the grand scheme of things does not hold much power of voice but a million do and usually the one speaks knowing there are million who may be thinking the same.

Of course I'm taking it literally. It is literal. People are saying they are paying players' salaries and that is not factual. And even if it were, it wouldn't be an excuse to be degrading.

And surely you see the problem with people believing they speak on behalf of other fans. If anyone can call the power of "we the fans" that would apply evenly to the opinions millions do not share as it would the ones they do agree with. Unless we are empowered by other people to speak for them we can only speak for ourselves. We can't claim to speak for other people whether or not we assume some will agree.
Go, Canucks, Go!

#455 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

Right. Collectively we are, but that doesn't entitle any single one of us to use the collective for our own opinion. We speak only for ourselves and only with our contribution, which is a mere drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things. For me the disconnect is for people overstating their role in that business reality.

And you're right. Ours is a dedicated market, which speaks to our devotion to our team and hockey in general. But, that dedication, admirable as it is, is our own choice and not "payment" for ownership.

And I couldn't agree more with your assessment of our "problems." We're pretty freaking lucky all in all.

Communist!;)
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#456 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

Communist! ;)

:lol:
Go, Canucks, Go!

#457 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

Of course I'm taking it literally. It is literal. People are saying they are paying players' salaries and that is not factual. And even if it were, it wouldn't be an excuse to be degrading.

And surely you see the problem with people believing they speak on behalf of other fans. If anyone can call the power of "we the fans" that would apply evenly to the opinions millions do not share as it would the ones they do agree with. Unless we are empowered by other people to speak for them we can only speak for ourselves. We can't claim to speak for other people whether or not we assume some will agree.

It closer to the truth than not, do you actual think there would be salaries without the fans. Do you actual think if you're providing a service or product that customers are paying for that they have no impact on your paycheck. Regardless of whether the customer or fan is signing the check the revenue collect comes from the person paying.
How is someone stating they pay for the players salary speaking for all the fans and does it matter, because the statement is closer to the truth than not.
You talk of factual the only important fact is fans do and always will pay for the players salary, they increase and substain the revenue of the company who inturn can afford to offer players the salaries they demand. Just like it make no sense for the average player to try a hurt a superstar, because the stars of the game help pay for the rest of the players. It makes no sense to think the fans or fan has no part in a player's salary.

For a fan to voice their opinion and calm it as the opinion of all the fans is still just an opinion and they have every right to do so. If you choose to listen is your right.

Edited by Vancanwincup, 06 April 2012 - 03:12 PM.

#458 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

It closer to the truth than not, do you actual think there would be salaries without the fans. Do you actual think if you're providing a service or product that customers are paying for that they have no impact on your paycheck. Regardless of whether the customer or fan is signing the check the revenue collect comes from the person paying.

Ignoring the fact that not all revenue is actually from fans and some comes from, for example, ads in the arenas and sports network licensing fees which would be paid, indirectly, by anyone with a cable package that includes that channel whether or not they watch Canuck or any NHL game, you seem to confuse the connection between fans as a whole and an individual's power over a company. You can not talk about the fans as a whole as if we are a single entity. We are not. We do not all think the same or make the same choices. Therefore, it's pointless to say things like "there'd be no NHL without fans." Of course there wouldn't be, but all fans aren't going to agree to walk out on the league because of some opinion or another. We can't even agree to like the team we supposedly support. So, my problem is with the people saying "we pay their salaries and therefore we should be able to have them do what we say." No one has been elected to speak for all fans. There is no "we" unless WE all say there is. You can say "I", you can even say "I and other fans who agree with me," but you can not make blanket "we the fans" statements about anything because you aren't empowered to do so. You do not have the right to speak on behalf of other people. You do not have the right to try to claim the collective power of all fans who spend their money to voice your individual opinion which, even if millions agree with it, millions more may not. You do not have the right to claim the tiny piece of power my dollars buy and add it to your own to give yourself more of a voice when you do not speak for me. I don't understand why that is so difficult to understand or frankly how to say it even more clearly.

I don't know what companies you've been dealing with, but I don't get to call up a company who's product I buy and say "your customers hate this" when I'm unhappy with what I bought. I can complain I don't like it and promise to never give them another dollar of my money, but that is where my power ends. I can't speak for anyone else's opinion, much less how they will spend their hard earned money. Hockey is no different. Fans can speak for themselves and their spending alone. They can not speak for all fans, trying to hide behind "without the fans there'd be no NHL." That's true of ANY company, but it is still each individual customer's power to decide for themselves to support a company or not.

How is someone stating they pay for the players salary speaking for all the fans and does it matter, because the statement is closer to the truth than not.

Because YOU do not pay their salaries. WE colllectively do and saying "I pay their salaries" is taking credit for a collective action and trying to gain the benefit of that collective action for an individual's sole purpose. And someone saying things like, "I pay their salaries and so I can do whatever I want, be as rude as I want, and they should just give me what I want" is trying to use that collective power for their individual goals without regards for what all of the fans that make up that collective think and want.

For a fan to voice there opinion and calm it as the opinion of all the fans is still just an opinion and they have every right to do so. If you choose to listen is your right.

Ok, then I claim my opinion to be the one true opinion of all fans. ;)
Go, Canucks, Go!

#459 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,819 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

I think Cory said it best, "it's counter productive."
Posted Image

#460 sockeye

sockeye

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

Canucks on a 6 game win streak, Lu let's in maybe 2 that he'd like to have back and his first bad game in a while and the reaction of the crowd is to boo and then rub it in by sarcastically over cheering Corey while he's coming into the game after Lu get's the hook.

Does this city even deserve a Stanley Cup? I know the team does but the city does not, never seen such a bunch of classless whiners before in my entire life. Totally ashamed of all those idiots that jeered Lu at the game tonight.

I agree. But without getting all sensitive about this and the defending of Lu who has had his ups and downs (mainly ups); can't we just rise above the norm and show a little more class? The excessive jeering turns me off esp when it's not warranted. I've lived in Salmon Arm for 20 years and would love to be able to afford to go to a few games a year. I know I wouldn't be doing any of that jeering if I was in the arena. Sometimes it's better to just keep your mouth shut rather than making an arrogant display like we saw on TV. What gets me more is that the goals may have been a little weak but didn't anybody notice the terrible defensive coverage on those goals? When a scorer is left alone in the slot, the odds are that bad things will happen.
A Canucks fan since 1968 (before the NHL)

#461 Lou#1

Lou#1

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

Yup. I noticed.

I agree, the booing and over-cheering was classless. Glad I was at last Saturday's game when we beat Calgary. I'd have been embarrassed to be in the arena on Tuesday. But I guess for some all losses are his fault, and all wins are in spite of him. It's just sad. He's not perfect, but his play has helped this team to playoffs 5 out of his 6 years. Don't you think he deserves a little respect?

#462 chugmaster41

chugmaster41

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

I DON'T GET IT! How is cheering for Schneider classless? Cheering for Schneider IS NOT THE SAME as jeering Luongo (you can cheer for both, at the same time). The media tries to put a negative spin on things, but I was in the building. The crowd was cheering for a very popular back-up goalie coming into the game to try and pull out a win.

Everyone is over-reacting. If schneider was pulled im sure the crowd would have cheered on Luongo when he came into the game. Am I missing something?!

#463 chugmaster41

chugmaster41

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

Says who? Because I haven't seen anyone outside of those this thread defending this kind of childish behavior saying that. The players certainly didn't think that. (Schneider went on record in the media saying he knew they were booing Luo and that this kind of treatment of Luo is "getting old.") The media certainly didn't think that. (i've read stories on at least 3 different sites about the game and all of them sayed Luo was booed. No one said "the team" was booed.) And it's just common sense. Not only has it been Luo specifically and exclusively that has been booed in the past, if they were booing the entire team, why cheer when Schneider stepped onto the ice? The only reason to cheer that player is that you believe the one he was replacing was the problem.

So you can't cheer for one goalie without jeering the other? Should we never cheer for golaies then in fear of hurting the other ones feelings? I cheer for all Canucks, and when CS steps on the ice to help our team win, im going to cheer my ass off for him. I was in the building that night, I cheered for Schneider, I was not jeering Luongo

#464 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

So you can't cheer for one goalie without jeering the other? Should we never cheer for golaies then in fear of hurting the other ones feelings? I cheer for all Canucks, and when CS steps on the ice to help our team win, im going to cheer my ass off for him. I was in the building that night, I cheered for Schneider, I was not jeering Luongo

I was rather specifically talking about Luo being booed and then Schneider being cheered. Context is important. I obviously was not saying "don't cheer for anyone but Luo."

And sure, cheer Schneider all you want. He's awesome and does plenty to deserve cheers. But, it needs to be a cheer for him, not a reaction to something else. Everyone knows he was only being cheered by and large because he was replacing Luo (who had just been booed off the ice), not out of support for him. He knows that too, so it does nothing to bolster his confidence or spirits. Again, context is important. Had Luo not been booed, cheering for Schneider would have just been nice, but put in the context of Luo being booed off the ice and Schneider being cheered looks like it has nothing to do with him and everything to do with Luo and frankly they both deserve better than that.

Edited by poetica, 07 April 2012 - 02:35 PM.

Go, Canucks, Go!

#465 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,895 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

I was rather specifically talking about Luo being booed and then Schneider being cheered. Context is important. I obviously was not saying "don't cheer for anyone but Luo."

And sure, cheer Schneider all you want. He's awesome and does plenty to deserve cheers. But, it needs to be a cheer for him, not a reaction to something else. Everyone knows he was only being cheered by and large because he was replacing Luo (who had just been booed off the ice), not out of support for him. He knows that too, so it does nothing to bolster his confidence or spirits. Again, context is important. Had Luo not been booed, cheering for Schneider would have just been nice, but put in the context of Luo being booed off the ice and Schneider being cheered looks like it has nothing to do with him and everything to do with Luo and frankly they both deserve better than that.

I don't know that at all. It seemed like a genuine cheer for Schneids (who has earned that btw), than a shot at Luongo. So many media sheep on this site.......use your own eyes, ears and brain.

#466 DSVII

DSVII

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

I was watching game 6 of the SCF in rogers arena when Luongo got pulled, i can honestly say i was cheering for Schneids rather than booing Luongo.

Seriously though, the last thing the goalies need is to have their own fans get into their heads. Let's cheer em both and be over with!

"The Canucks, are like North America, many of us have it so much better than others around the world or NHL, and we don't properly appreciate what we have."

"If Canucks fans hate Mason Raymond so bad, then you should have said something before the trade deadline! Because the Leafs would have totally taken him. I mean, can he score? Can he play a HINT of defense? WE'LL TAKE HIM! WE'LL TAKE TWO!"

- Steve Dangle (Leafs Fan Reaction - youtube)

#467 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

I don't know that at all. It seemed like a genuine cheer for Schneids (who has earned that btw), than a shot at Luongo. So many media sheep on this site.......use your own eyes, ears and brain.

Shocking though it may be to you, not agreeing with your opinion doesn't mean I'm a "media sheep" or not using my own eyes, ears or brain. If you bothered to read what I said, I was pretty clear about MY opinion and it's rather childish for you to assume that my opinion must be secondhand simply because it's not the same as yours.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but the reality is that that cheer took place in a context and that context was Luo being booed off the ice and then Schneider being immidiately cheered for nothing more than coming onto the ice. Interestingly though, he was not cheered so loudly or enthusiastically after any of the few saves he was called on to make in that game (outside of his one save in the SO where cheers are always loud for a save.) Were the cheers simply to support Schneider and not part of a reaction to what some fans believed to be true about Luo's play in that game, one would think the cheers would come in reaction to an actual accomplishment of Schneider's and not just to him skating onto the ice. The reality is the fans cheered him louder for taking Luo's place on the ice than they did for anything he actaully did on the ice.

And I've never said anything bad about Schneider nor did I say he didn't deserve to be cheered. Again, had you bothered to actually read what I said instead of just assuming I was just getting my opinion handed to me by the media (which I assume would have to include Schneider's own statement about Luo's being booed and his being cheered...) you would have noticed that I said BOTH he and Luo deserved better than what happened. He abasolutely deserves to be cheered, but for what he does, not for just not being Luo.

Edited by poetica, 07 April 2012 - 03:25 PM.

Go, Canucks, Go!

#468 John Garret's moustache

John Garret's moustache

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

No they will not. We do not pay any of their salaries. We buy products because we choose to. The profits go to the NHL and the company that own the Canucks. The Canucks pay their salaries. I don't know where you work, but do you feel every customer or client personally pays your salary?

you contradicted yourself there... 'we buy products which proceeds go to the team... the team pays the salaries'. owning car dealerships, you have to have that kind of mindset, the profit from every sale my employees make essentially pays me. this is not unlike the 18,466 seats in Rogers arena and the countless number of merchandise sold, which essentially pays the players, if there were no fans there would be no millions for the players.

Edited by John Garret's moustache, 12 April 2012 - 06:23 PM.

Posted Image

Thanks to Vintage Canuck. for the sick Zeppelin sig!

#469 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

you contradicted yourself there... 'we buy products which proceeds go to the team... the team pays the salaries'. owning car dealerships, you have to have that kind of mindset, the profit from every sale my employees make essentially pays me. this is not unlike the 18,466 seats in Rogers arena and the countless number of merchandise sold, which essentially pays the players, if there were no fans there would be no millions for the players.

Actually, I did not contradict myself. It would have been easier if you had read my many posts in this thread answering the specific issues you brought up, but since I can only assume you read as far as the single post you quoted I'll repeat some of what I've said in other posts.

Sports is not a service based industry. It is a product based industry and we buy products by choice. We see a shirt we like, we give a retailer money and they give us a shirt. If the t-shirt has a hole in it when you get it home, you can complain with the retailer and perhaps get your money back or get a replacement because you paid for a wearable t-shirt. You cannot, however, return it because the team played badly in the game that night. You paid for a specific product, not a service.

Likewise, when we buy tickets we get seats to see a game but there is no guarantee it will be a good game or even that the big name players will show up at all. You get to see a game. That's it. No one is promised any outcome nor given any sway or say with the team.

Perhaps as a car dealership owner you have that mindset that every customer pays your salary and therefore should be treated as if they were your sole customer (whether or not giving every person who walks through the door and spends a loonie that kind of power over your business is a good idea or not would be up to you), but the vast majority of businesses are not run that way.

As I said in previous posts, of course fans contribute most (though not all) of the profits, but we do so collectively, not as individuals. And that is where people get confused. No one has the right to say, "I pay your salary" because they do not. If you stop buying their stuff today I guarantee you everyone will still be getting paid without a problem. And no one has the right to say "fans pay your salary" as a means to give their individual voice and opinion the weight of all fans' support and dollars because you do not speak for anyone other than yourself. Fans as a collective may pay their salaries, but individual fans do not. In reality, they bought a couple of shirts and a pair of tickets, so they didn't even pay for the Zamboni driver for a single practice, much less every salary for every player on the team. WE collectively paid for that, but WE collectively do not speak with a single voice. All any of us can do is speak for ourselves and our own dollars. You can only speak for your own dollars and your own support, not mine and not anyone else's. Your voice with the team is only as big as you have the ability to hurt their bottom line, which isn't likely very much given the number of fans who contribute to it.
Go, Canucks, Go!

#470 Pride

Pride

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

poetica you realize you just wrote a couple essays because of semantics.

i mean, really?

#471 Real deal - Stan Smyl

Real deal - Stan Smyl

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

I DON'T GET IT! How is cheering for Schneider classless? Cheering for Schneider IS NOT THE SAME as jeering Luongo (you can cheer for both, at the same time). The media tries to put a negative spin on things, but I was in the building. The crowd was cheering for a very popular back-up goalie coming into the game to try and pull out a win.

Everyone is over-reacting. If schneider was pulled im sure the crowd would have cheered on Luongo when he came into the game. Am I missing something?!

Are we pretending Lu wasn't booed? Maybe you should piss on my leg and tell me its raining too. Let's keep it real here ... Lu got booed in his own rink, then the overdone cheers for CS were effective at rubbing salt in the wound. I've seen plenty of goalies get yanked, but never a performance like the Canuck "fans" put on that night. It was pathetic and embarrassing. Those who say 'we were only cheering Cory', are either lying or stupid - take your pick.

#472 Real deal - Stan Smyl

Real deal - Stan Smyl

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

Detroit has a similar spoiled-brat element to their fanbase - they booed the Wings almost immediately after their all-time best home winning streak was snapped - a game later, a failing power play, and the whiners start booing... Obvious response is to consider them idiots.

Bingo!! oldnews had a fleeting moment of clarity and hit the nail on the head.

More Burgundy quotes... Hello. This is your doctor. I have your pregnancy results here, and guess what? You, you got knocked up, so you should probably get out of news.

#473 John Garret's moustache

John Garret's moustache

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

Actually, I did not contradict myself. It would have been easier if you had read my many posts in this thread answering the specific issues you brought up, but since I can only assume you read as far as the single post you quoted I'll repeat some of what I've said in other posts.

Sports is not a service based industry. It is a product based industry and we buy products by choice. We see a shirt we like, we give a retailer money and they give us a shirt. If the t-shirt has a hole in it when you get it home, you can complain with the retailer and perhaps get your money back or get a replacement because you paid for a wearable t-shirt. You cannot, however, return it because the team played badly in the game that night. You paid for a specific product, not a service.

Likewise, when we buy tickets we get seats to see a game but there is no guarantee it will be a good game or even that the big name players will show up at all. You get to see a game. That's it. No one is promised any outcome nor given any sway or say with the team.

Perhaps as a car dealership owner you have that mindset that every customer pays your salary and therefore should be treated as if they were your sole customer (whether or not giving every person who walks through the door and spends a loonie that kind of power over your business is a good idea or not would be up to you), but the vast majority of businesses are not run that way.

As I said in previous posts, of course fans contribute most (though not all) of the profits, but we do so collectively, not as individuals. And that is where people get confused. No one has the right to say, "I pay your salary" because they do not. If you stop buying their stuff today I guarantee you everyone will still be getting paid without a problem. And no one has the right to say "fans pay your salary" as a means to give their individual voice and opinion the weight of all fans' support and dollars because you do not speak for anyone other than yourself. Fans as a collective may pay their salaries, but individual fans do not. In reality, they bought a couple of shirts and a pair of tickets, so they didn't even pay for the Zamboni driver for a single practice, much less every salary for every player on the team. WE collectively paid for that, but WE collectively do not speak with a single voice. All any of us can do is speak for ourselves and our own dollars. You can only speak for your own dollars and your own support, not mine and not anyone else's. Your voice with the team is only as big as you have the ability to hurt their bottom line, which isn't likely very much given the number of fans who contribute to it.

Yes, you clearly proved my point... you said we as fans pay the salary of the players (for the most part)... I never said I pay Luongo, because despite the thousands I've spent on the Canucks in 8 years as a season ticket holder, or the 150 bucks I spend on a jersey for my son, or the 25 bucks I spend on a hat, Its all minuscule in the big picture of a centi-million dollar sports team, and if I died tomorrow there are thousands of people who would gladly take my seasons tickets, and 2 more people the next day who go to the team store and buy a jersey and a hat. No one person, except the Aquillinis can say they pay the players, but, as you said before, when speaking on behalf of the fan base saying "We play the players" is not untrue at all
Posted Image

#474 Real deal - Stan Smyl

Real deal - Stan Smyl

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

???

Edited by Real deal - Stan Smyl, 16 April 2012 - 06:57 PM.

#475 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

Yes, you clearly proved my point... you said we as fans pay the salary of the players (for the most part)... I never said I pay Luongo, because despite the thousands I've spent on the Canucks in 8 years as a season ticket holder, or the 150 bucks I spend on a jersey for my son, or the 25 bucks I spend on a hat, Its all minuscule in the big picture of a centi-million dollar sports team, and if I died tomorrow there are thousands of people who would gladly take my seasons tickets, and 2 more people the next day who go to the team store and buy a jersey and a hat. No one person, except the Aquillinis can say they pay the players, but, as you said before, when speaking on behalf of the fan base saying "We play the players" is not untrue at all

I believe you missed the point of my posts entirely. Ignoring the fact that saying we pay their salaries is akin to saying chickens make omlets because they make the eggs that are used, no one is empowered to speak on behalf of the entire fan base. If all anyone said was, "We pay the players," I would disagree but that would be the end of it because that is the end of the thought. However, that is not what happens. Instead, people say that as a means of giving the weight of the collective "we" to their own personal opinion. And no one has the right to do that.
Go, Canucks, Go!

#476 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

Lou got pulled almost once every 10 games this year...not so stellar a stat...not like it was his first time !!

#477 John Garret's moustache

John Garret's moustache

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

I believe you missed the point of my posts entirely. Ignoring the fact that saying we pay their salaries is akin to saying chickens make omlets because they make the eggs that are used, no one is empowered to speak on behalf of the entire fan base. If all anyone said was, "We pay the players," I would disagree but that would be the end of it because that is the end of the thought. However, that is not what happens. Instead, people say that as a means of giving the weight of the collective "we" to their own personal opinion. And no one has the right to do that.

I agree.

/discusion
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.