Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

1-Year-Old Ore. Boy Drowns In Washing Machine

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#1 dudeone

dudeone

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

1-year-old Ore. boy drowns in washing machine

Associated Press – Mon, Apr 2, 2012

http://news.yahoo.co...-151325812.html

OREM, Utah (AP) — At 21 months, Ollie Hebb was his mother's helper on laundry day, climbing atop a bin so he could toss clothes into a top-loading washer.

On the morning he went missing for a few minutes, Tiffany Hebb went through her house calling for him but got no answer. She found the toddler in the washing machine, submerged in a full tub. He died a day later.
His mother, recently moved to Oregon from Utah, says she never thought the washing machine would be a danger to her child and is telling the story to make parents aware of the danger.

The Consumer Products Safety Commission, a federal agency, says such deaths are rare — two children under the age of 5 died in washing machines between 2005 and 2009, according to a 2011 report.
"I ran through my whole house, calling his name and couldn't find him anywhere," Tiffany Hebb told The Deseret News (http://bit.ly/HAwgTZ ), "not ever thinking that he would be in my washer."

Tiffany and Chris Hebb will likely not face charges, Hillsboro, Ore., police spokesman Michael Rouches said Monday.

"Detectives don't believe that this was an intentional crime or that anyone stuck the baby in the washer," Roushes said Monday morning. "We have the DA's office look into it, just to make sure there wasn't a degree of negligence."

Rouches said detectives looked but couldn't find other cases when toddlers drowned under similar circumstances.

"She was 30 feet away in the living room, reading a magazine," Rouches said. "It wasn't like the mother had this kid unattended at the time."

The 2011 report says two children under the age of 5 died in washing machines between 2005 and 2009. During that timeframe, 350 children died in bathtubs, and 77 drowned in something else, such as a decorative water feature, a cooler or a septic tank.

The boy died after a day on life support. His organs were donated.

The couple had recently moved from Orem, Utah, to the Portland suburb where Chris Hebb had found a job.

The newspaper reports the boy was buried over the weekend in Utah.

"Every night when I go to sleep, I start feeling sick," Chris Hebb told the newspaper. "Every time I wake up, I think this is a nightmare and then realize it's real. . You hear a baby crying in the night from a neighbor's house. You wake up, hoping it's your little boy, and then realize he's not there."

#2 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

That's really sad.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

MirandaKerr.jpg
2 0 1 5 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#3 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,592 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

I have no way to explain how a child would drown, in a washing machine, without someone being negligent.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#4 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,395 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

I have no way to explain how a child would drown, in a washing machine, without someone being negligent.

, something doesn't add up here at all. Poor kid though.

"She was 30 feet away in the living room, reading a magazine," Rouches said. "It wasn't like the mother had this kid unattended at the time."

Sure sounds like unattended if you ask me... ?

Edited by hockeyville88, 03 April 2012 - 11:11 PM.
Swear filter bypass

qrak1x.jpg

#5 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

I thought he was helping her; how could someone possibly lose sight of someone so important to them who was yet so very fragile?

I find this segment especially appalling:

That just reeks of bad parenting-- if I had someone so young I would keep my eye on him and take him with me after he was done helping me, not leaving him crawling around or whatever in the dangerous area with an open pool of water there that's deep enough for him to drown in! :picard:

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#6 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,536 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

That is just horrible, how can she not have noticed him on top or around the machine when she started it up?

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#7 Kazmanian Devil

Kazmanian Devil

Not your average poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:54 PM

Some people aren't fit to be parents.

JpUlGP5.png

HurriKane

#8 Tig'ol Bitties

Tig'ol Bitties

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

Obviously none of you actually know what it's like to be around young children. Often times they can slip out of your sight without you even realizing it, even if you are "keeping an eye on them". I have a niece and just the other day I was babysitting her.....I took a break from playing toys with her and sat down on the couch with a book; next thing I new she was in the other room.

All I'm saying is that you shouldn't be blaming the Mother, and realize that stuff can happen (very quickly).

P.S. Children like to be helpful, it's in their nature. The mother might have just been letting him toss stuff into the washer for a minute while she sat down.

Edited by Ti'gol Bitties, 03 April 2012 - 10:57 PM.

3Goktj2.jpg

#9 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,189 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:03 PM

The first thing that came to my mind was: How dumb can you be to let that happen??

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#10 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:04 PM

That's really sad. RIP.
Posted Image

#11 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,476 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:09 PM

this is so sad.
kids are very unpredictable and can slip away at any moment - if you turn your head away for a single moment.
you cannot watch a kid 24/7, there will always be moments where your attention is turned elsewhere.

i am a lifeguard and there are times where i have turned my head to talk help another kid and turn back and another kid has climbed out of the pool to run to his mom/dad.

this is a very sad situation and while a lot of people want to call bad parenting, i do not think this is the case.
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#12 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,592 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:09 PM

The mother might have just been letting him toss stuff into the washer for a minute while she sat down.

So let me guess this straight. You let your child toss stuff into an active, open, washer. Then proceed to completely disregard any possible outcomes and just walk away? And then forget about it? That's about as negligent as it gets. Don't need to be a parent to understand that.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

#13 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,297 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:11 PM

Wow talk about traumatic
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#14 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,684 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:19 PM

I feel bad for this mother. Being a parent to a toddler is exhausting at times. This Mom probably thought she had baby proofed the house but never thought her little guy would climb up and then fall into a washing machine. It is a one in several million occurrence what happened. How do you foresee that?
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#15 Tony Romo

Tony Romo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:21 PM

So sad and what a horrible way to die.
Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks to Raoul Duke for the Russell Wilson sig.

#16 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

I feel terrible for this mother. Sometimes, no matter how vigilant you are, no matter how well you've baby-proofed, no matter how close you keep your children at your side, tragic things can happen anyway. :(

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 03 April 2012 - 11:25 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#17 SixtyEight

SixtyEight

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

I feel awful, awful awful for this, but I laughed at the title

Best of luck to his family

#18 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,592 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

This Mom probably thought she had baby proofed the house but never thought her little guy would climb up and then fall into a washing machine. It is a one in several million occurrence what happened. How do you foresee that?

So a one year old can actually - on their own - climb up a washing machine and physically lift the lid up high enough, that they fall in? Are one year olds really capable of this? I find it hard to believe that a child that young, could accomplish such a feat. I will have to reserve judgement until more details come out.

#19 Lillooet_Hillbilly

Lillooet_Hillbilly

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:32 PM

i used to run threw a pig pen when we had boars in there with tusks and i was only 3. tragic accident but thats life sometimes. Dont blame the mother

#20 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

So a one year old can actually - on their own - climb up a washing machine and physically lift the lid up high enough, that they fall in? Are one year olds really capable of this? I find it hard to believe that a child that young, could accomplish such a feat. I will have to reserve judgement until more details come out.

Depends on the one year old. (Though the child in this story was 21 months old, almost 2 years old). I once had an 11 month old in my care who while I was getting something from the living room, approx, 10 feet away, built a staircase out of the kitchen drawers, climbed up them to the countertop and greeted me happily from his perch on the top of the fridge. Time elapsed was barely 30/45 seconds and he had never done it before, nobody was even aware that he knew how to do such a thing. So I do believe that the one year old in this story could have done exactly what the investigating detectives have concluded happened.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 03 April 2012 - 11:40 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#21 cj_coolcat

cj_coolcat

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

21 months is almost 2, so yes, he probably could at that age. I once babysat for a family of 5 children (key word here being once.) They had twin 2 year olds. If one wasn't climbing on the furniture the other one was trying to stick his fingers in the fan or pulling out the cutlery drawer. I swear they have some kind of death wish at that age.
QUOTE (kanadahockey @ Aug 20 2009, 08:48 AM) ah yes, comparing Natives to stray dogs wasn't critical of the Natives, it was actually critical of the Whites. How very White Man's Burden of you. Pip, pip and all that - let's retire to the library for cucumber sandwiches.

#22 Thrill-House

Thrill-House

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

Obviously none of you actually know what it's like to be around young children. Often times they can slip out of your sight without you even realizing it, even if you are "keeping an eye on them". I have a niece and just the other day I was babysitting her.....I took a break from playing toys with her and sat down on the couch with a book; next thing I new she was in the other room.

All I'm saying is that you shouldn't be blaming the Mother, and realize that stuff can happen (very quickly).

P.S. Children like to be helpful, it's in their nature. The mother might have just been letting him toss stuff into the washer for a minute while she sat down.

It's certainly nothing like leaving a child in a car while they go shopping.

Very sad story indeed.
Posted Image

#23 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:08 AM

The first thing that came to my mind was: How dumb can you be to let that happen??

So let me guess this straight. You let your child toss stuff into an active, open, washer. Then proceed to completely disregard any possible outcomes and just walk away? And then forget about it? That's about as negligent as it gets. Don't need to be a parent to understand that.

People on here are so quick to jump to conclusions... :picard: :sadno:

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck, 04 April 2012 - 05:08 AM.

#24 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,557 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:55 AM

Wow...some of you guys need to shut the hell up.

Bad things happen...you can't keep an eye on your kids every second of every day until they move out - it's just not possible.

Wait until you have your own kids.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#25 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

Here's your first option: don't listen to CDC. They don't know you or your situation.

Lolwut?

Feel really sorry for the parents. Words cannot describe how it must feel losing a child.

Edited by Toasta Brigger, 04 April 2012 - 07:06 AM.

#26 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:16 AM

I didn't read anywhere that the washer was active. And she wasn't standing there watching him. Does anyone read anything. No one can watch a child all the time. A tragic accident and nothing less.

a true Brazilian will never give up until things are totally screwed..." -aeromotacanucksaer

#27 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,913 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:41 AM

At least he died clean.

#28 Spitfire_Spiky

Spitfire_Spiky

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

Really sad.... at least they donated his organs. It's always touching when people do that.
Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest

#29 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 11,395 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

At least he died clean.

LOL! :lol:

qrak1x.jpg

#30 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,462 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

, something doesn't add up here at all. Poor kid though.

Sure sounds like unattended if you ask me... ?

God forbid you ever have to take a dump or a shower when you're home alone with a kid.
Moo

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.