The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

1-Year-Old Ore. Boy Drowns In Washing Machine

dudeone

So a one year old can actually - on their own - climb up a washing machine and physically lift the lid up high enough, that they fall in? Are one year olds really capable of this? I find it hard to believe that a child that young, could accomplish such a feat. I will have to reserve judgement until more details come out.

Obviously none of you actually know what it's like to be around young children. Often times they can slip out of your sight without you even realizing it, even if you are "keeping an eye on them". I have a niece and just the other day I was babysitting her.....I took a break from playing toys with her and sat down on the couch with a book; next thing I new she was in the other room.

All I'm saying is that you shouldn't be blaming the Mother, and realize that stuff can happen (very quickly).

P.S. Children like to be helpful, it's in their nature. The mother might have just been letting him toss stuff into the washer for a minute while she sat down.

Wow...some of you guys need to shut the hell up.

Bad things happen...you can't keep an eye on your kids every second of every day until they move out - it's just not possible.

Wait until you have your own kids.

So let me guess this straight. You let your child toss stuff into an active, open, washer. Then proceed to completely disregard any possible outcomes and just walk away? And then forget about it? That's about as negligent as it gets. Don't need to be a parent to understand that.

, something doesn't add up here at all. Poor kid though.

"She was 30 feet away in the living room, reading a magazine," Rouches said. "It wasn't like the mother had this kid unattended at the time."

Sure sounds like unattended if you ask me... ?

So a one year old can actually - on their own - climb up a washing machine and physically lift the lid up high enough, that they fall in? Are one year olds really capable of this? I find it hard to believe that a child that young, could accomplish such a feat. I will have to reserve judgement until more details come out.

Obviously none of you actually know what it's like to be around young children. Often times they can slip out of your sight without you even realizing it, even if you are "keeping an eye on them". I have a niece and just the other day I was babysitting her.....I took a break from playing toys with her and sat down on the couch with a book; next thing I new she was in the other room.

All I'm saying is that you shouldn't be blaming the Mother, and realize that stuff can happen (very quickly).

P.S. Children like to be helpful, it's in their nature. The mother might have just been letting him toss stuff into the washer for a minute while she sat down.

That's negligence. You don't dick around with water. Leaving a child unattended is often necessary, but you have to pick your moments.

How does the child climb up there without assistance?

I suppose it's not impossible, but it seems unlikely. Regardless, absolutely no point in pursuing charges of negligence.

One is way to young to do laundry. Normal houses have laundry rooms or at least closet doors that should be kept closed when machines are running and a toddler is in the house. Reading a magazine 30 feet away is acceptable only when the child is sleeping or in someone elses care. Obviously not to bright Tiffany. Total neglect, at best. What did she have the music blasting too? She should have heard a splash and thud? Todays parents are mostly incompetent.

Archived