The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Do You Think Gets The Start On Thursday? Luongo Or Schneider?

NUCKS4CUP 28

Both Lou and Ginger are very good goalies. It's up to the coaching staff to decide who should start and when to pull.

Last night was classic good coaching, Pull goalie when its not looking good, to give the team a change and Voila, the team responds and comes back for the win, AWSOME.

So long as the coaching staff has a finger on the pulse, they choose and I will accept that.

A lot of you Canuck fans are complete idiots. The Canucks are in first place (tied at the moment with Rangers) in the NHL. The majority of the wins came with Lou in net. He's been the backbone of this team for the last few years, helping to get them within a whisker of the Stanley Cup. Yeah, his first goal last night was weak. The next three can be blamed on the defence; Lou can't stop machine gun bullets. When Schneids came into the game, the Canucks changed their defensive play and only allowed 9 more shots the rest of the game, mostly from the outside. Easy enough saves for Schneids. Don't get me wrong, Lou may not have made the brilliant save you expected of him, but for crying out loud fans, in the past you have buried every goalie that ever played in Vancouver . Don't you think it's time to put the blame on the whole team instead of one man? No matter how brilliant Lou plays, he doesn't score goals and if the team in front of him wants to play in the Vancouver end, the chance of a win is pretty slim. It's a team game and the defence is as much to blame as the goal tender when a third or fourth shot is allowed. We have a great goalie playing for us now. Booing him when his team is number one in the NHL is just CLASS-LESS and shows what bad fans you really are. Add that to rioting (twice) now and you become the south end of the horse heading north.

Both Lou and Ginger are very good goalies. It's up to the coaching staff to decide who should start and when to pull. Last night was classic good coaching, Pull goalie when its not looking good, to give the team a change and Voila, the team responds and comes back for the win, AWSOME. So long as the coaching staff has a finger on the pulse, they choose and I will accept that.

I ask this because I'm finally going to my first ever NHL game on Thursday in Calgary! :emot-parrot::emot-parrot::emot-parrot:

I would be absolutely ecstatic if I got to see my (obvious) idol in net live. It would also be awesome if Danny came back for Thursday, but I doubt that will happen.

And yes, I will wear my Luongo jersey with pride on Thursday!

On a side note, what should I expect my experience be like? I will be honest, I AM scared to wear a Canucks jersey, let alone a Luongo jersey in Calgary.

Schneider

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=392251

SCHNEIDER TO START OVER LUONGO FOR CANUCKS ON THURSDAY

VANCOUVER -- The Vancouver Canucks will have Cory Schneider in goal for their final road game of the regular season.

The backup netminder will start Thursday's game in Calgary afterRoberto Luongo was pulled early in the second period of Vancouver's 5-4 comeback shootout victory over the Anaheim Ducks on Tuesday.

Canucks coach Alain Vigneault declined to explain his decision following practice Wednesday prior to the team's flight to Calgary.

Luongo was booed after getting the hook, while Schneider received a loud cheer from the crowd and did not allow a goal while facing a modest nine shots over the final 33 minutes. Vigneault chalked up the fan reaction to Luongo's departure to the usual life of a goaltender.

"That the nature of the position," Vigneault said. "When things don't go well, usually -- not usually but sometimes -- the fingers point at the goaltender or the head coach. ... I remember (some) years back in Montreal when Patrick Roy was the goaltender there. They had billboards across the city to have him traded. I guess now they're having billboards across the city to bring him back (in a management or coaching role). That's just the nature of the position. If you want to be a goaltender, you have to be real strong mentally.

"It's a position that has a lot of pressure that comes with it, and we are very fortunate here in Vancouver. We've got two great goaltenders that are real good people and love to play here in Vancouver."

Luongo was victimized by some glaring defensive breakdowns, but put the blame on himself after the game.

"What happened (Wednesday) is over with," Luongo said. "We turned the page and we moved on."

General manager Mike Gillis told a Vancouver radio station Wednesday that Luongo will start in the first game of the playoffs. But the goaltender dismissed the pledge.

"I've got the determination and competitive edge that I want," Luongo said. "Whatever happens, happens. I don't like to look too far ahead and I don't like to look behind. I'm trying to stay in the moment and live in the moment. If you start worrying about all that other side, it's really not good for you mentally."

Vigneault praised Schneider, who has gone 13-4-1 since mid-December, for the way he has dealt with his role as a replacement for Luongo. Schneider took exception to the way fans cheered him as he entered the game against the Ducks, contending Luongo deserved better treatment after all that he has done for the team and the city.

"He's handled it the way I expect all of our players to handle it," said Vigneault of Schneider. "This is a team-first business. The team has to come before any individual agenda. Cory's done a remarkable job since he's been in this organization to go through the steps, pay his dues and work on his craft. Obviously, right now, he's really on top of his game."

Notes: F Zack Kassian is expected to miss Thursday's game with an undisclosed upper-body injury. Vigneault was contemplating calling a player up from the AHL to replace him. ... D Keith Ballard has been cleared for full contact after partaking in all practice activities. Ballard was scheduled to make the trip, but will not play. He has been out with a concussion and neck injury since February. ... The team did no provide an update on injured defenceman Kevin Bieksa. ... D Aaron Rome, recuperating from a knee injury, also participated in practice and was due to catch the flight to Calgary. Rome said it's possible he will play against the Flames. ... Vigneault does not plan to rest players in advance of the playoffs. The Canucks close out the regular season at home Saturday against Edmonton.

Calm down.

Schneider hasn't been giving a starting role right now so we only have his stats as a backup. They are impressive. Not very many back-ups have/had the same numbers Schneider does. Schneider is a great goalie and in the future I believe will be a better overall goalie then Luongo.

Archived