Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Why The Vancouver Canucks May Actually Be Nhl's Most Sportsmanlike Team

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 JustNazzy

JustNazzy

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

Why the Vancouver Canucks may actually be NHL’s most sportsmanlike team

Getty ImagesIt's subtle, but occasionally the Vancouver Canucks and their constituents have been known to traffic in an us-against-the-world mentality when it comes to treatment by NHL officials. They're also a franchise that, once in a while, has been characterized by opposing fan bases as a "dirty" team.
That established, Thomas Drance of Canucks Army offers a surprising observation: The Canucks are actually the NHL's cleanest, most sportsmanlike team this season through one significant measurement.
No, not in penalty minutes: The Canucks (13.0 PIM per game) are the fourth most-penalized team on average in the NHL this season. (Cut to Stephane Auger, sitting in a large chair, petting a white cat, cackling maniacally.)
Rather, the Canucks are one of only eight NHL teams not to have a player suspended by Brendan Shanahan and the Dept. of Player Safety this season: The Ottawa Senators, Tampa Bay Lightning, San Jose Sharks, Los Angeles Kings, New York Islanders, Winnipeg Jets and New Jersey Devils round out that list entering Tuesday night's play.
Those seven teams, however, share a common thread that the Canucks do not: They've all had players fined this season for various supplemental disciplinary reasons, ranging from slashing to boarding to leaving the bench to partake in a fight (hello, Steve Downie).

Which means the Vancouver Canucks are the only team in the NHL this season, through 79 games, not to have a player fined or suspended.
No Alex Burrows using an opponent's glove like a dog uses Masters tickets. No Aaron Rome-on-Nathan-Horton specials. Not even a momentary lapse in good judgment from Maxim Lapierre.
Furthermore, as suggested by a Canucks Army commenter, Vancouver has also drawn five suspensions and three fines when you factor in the preseason — leading the NHL.
Here's how Drance reads this lack of discipline (or is it a complete mastery of discipline?):

Perhaps the new disciplinary regime was embarrassed by the heavy-handed Aaron Rome suspension, and is making it up to the club by treating them with kids gloves this year? Yeah, probably not.

While the record indicates that the Canucks are the "cleanest team" in the league - I have a tough time buying that. Certainly there's been a couple of incidents that looked like a Canucks skater may have warranted supplemental discipline - Sturm's hit on Petrell in the preseason, Kesler's submarining of Clutterbuck and Daniel's hit on Keith all come to mind. Ultimately, I think we have to call this blind-luck, but it should hopefully give the professional firebrands gearing up for their postseason anti-Canucks rants pause.

It's also an indication that Raffi Torres doesn't play for the Canucks anymore …

The Canucks have a roster that isn't filled with prime supplemental discipline candidates. Torres is gone. So are the other Canucks players there were fined or suspended in the last three seasons: Darcy Hordichuk, Shane O'Brien and the late Rick Rypien (for that incident with a Minnesota Wild fan).
The Canucks have some pains-in-the-asses and a few players that dance along the edge of legality with their hitting. But they don't have a single case of supplemental discipline this season. As Drance writes, there's a "cognitive dissonance between perception and reality" for the Vancouver Canucks and their critics.

http://ca.sports.yah...-214829233.html

Didn't see it posted so thought I would share...

Edited by JustNazzy, 04 April 2012 - 10:10 AM.

3-1_zps2a110f68.png

#2 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,145 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

The Canucks are dirty thing is media fueled garbage and I wouldn't expect that to die down.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#3 endtoend

endtoend

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

Zach Kassian? He looks like he is going to kill someone out there.

#4 Zach Morris

Zach Morris

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

That's all well and good, but.......

If a player like Marchand is taking punches at one of the Sedins after whistles, and that Sedin, or his teamate doesn't run that pr!ck into the Ice face First I'm going to be super pissed at this team.....

They are a kick a$$ team - But the one flaw I see that they need to improve on is their "don't take $#!+ from no1" attitude.

I don't want them to act like the Bruins at all, but I want them to fight back when a team decides it wants to push us around.
Posted Image

"Incredulous"

#5 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

Mhmmm, not news to me.

It's mostly media hype. The Canucks just have a horrible reputation that has been perpetuated in the media.

RIP LB RR PD

#6 Onions

Onions

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

only when he's with the cancuks. Not when he was with Buffalo
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 NuckFanLivingInCalgary:(

NuckFanLivingInCalgary:(

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

Hockey is a dirty sport by nature. Seems like we are pretty good at getting away with it this year ;)

But seriously, good job boys on no suspensions or fines.
Go Canucks Go!!!

#8 Kes_4_Pres

Kes_4_Pres

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

That's why we love him :)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"Proceeds go to a translator for Alex Burrows."
-Bieksa on Ryan Kesler's clothing line.

#9 Wheels22

Wheels22

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

I've noticed that our team will only do something "dirty" as a retaliation. There are a lot of teams who have a few players that will go out on the ice and just do something dirty for the hell of it...

Yet somehow we always get classified just as badly as those teams. It's pretty dumb

#10 rypper-37

rypper-37

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

Canucks are dirty and classless! Cause everyone from the media said so! Screw the stats and facts!

#11 lateralus

lateralus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

Sportsmanlike is not merely defined by suspensions and fines or the lack of.

Every team has players that have acted unsportsmanlike.

Kesler doing the head butt fake move isn't sportsmanlike and honestly I don't see any other player in the league doing such a move.

If everyone in the media is saying so maybe it's not media making things up?
CDC is a reflection of society.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

Kesler doing the head butt fake move isn't sportsmanlike and honestly I don't see any other player in the league doing such a move.

Kaleta is famous for headbutts. He's been fined and suspended for them on multiple occasions and I've seen him fake headbutt guys even more.

Edited by n00bxQb, 04 April 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#13 NuckNuckNucks

NuckNuckNucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:13 AM

That's all well and good, but.......

If a player like Marchand is taking punches at one of the Sedins after whistles, and that Sedin, or his teamate doesn't run that pr!ck into the Ice face First I'm going to be super pissed at this team.....

They are a kick a$$ team - But the one flaw I see that they need to improve on is their "don't take $#!+ from no1" attitude.

I don't want them to act like the Bruins at all, but I want them to fight back when a team decides it wants to push us around.

I highly doubt they're going to be pushed around this year.
You have to be a true bandwagoneer if you buy Mike's line about looking for the right deal to trade Luongo.

True fans and hockey diehards know, that is double talk for, "Luongo is a high ticket commodity now or next year, we'll keep him around just in case Schneider turns out to be a lemon and chokes games."

And choke he will.

I know this. I'm never wrong.

#14 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

being sportsmanlike wont get us to the finals

Posted Image

#15 lateralus

lateralus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

Kaleta is famous for headbutts. He's been fined and suspended for them on multiple occasions and I've seen him fake headbutt guys even more.

Ouch, being compared or related to Kaleta is never good.

Well at least Kesler doesn't actually head butt other players..... :rolleyes:

Edited by lateralus, 04 April 2012 - 11:29 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 It's Bieksa's Fault

It's Bieksa's Fault

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

I disagree with the Canucks being the most sportsmanlike team. We are somewhere in the middle; definitely not unsportsmanlike or dirty, but definitely not saints. Any fan who says we are the most sportsmanlike is part of the reason everyone hates the Canucks.

Also, the Canuck players are some of the classiest off the ice, but are some of the most pesty players (but not always unclassy) on the ice.

#17 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

Sportsmanlike is not merely defined by suspensions and fines or the lack of.

Every team has players that have acted unsportsmanlike.

If everyone in the media is saying so maybe it's not media making things up?

Media ultimately is accountable to their fanbases - if their fanbases are Hawks, Bruins, or Sharks fans, do you think they'll appreciate any article that speaks highly of a rival franchise?

#18 Zach Morris

Zach Morris

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

I highly doubt they're going to be pushed around this year.

I certainly hope your right.....
Posted Image

"Incredulous"

#19 Mervyn Peake

Mervyn Peake

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

Daniel's hit on Keith all come to mind.

Really?

#20 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

They arent 'the most classiest'.

Did we suddenly forget this team have some of the biggest agitators in the league?

Sure I guess if you wear homer glasses and only see the twins/cs.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#21 lateralus

lateralus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

I'd like to point out that while the Canucks are probably not the most sportsmanlike in the NHL they are not the least.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

Yeah we definately arn't the most sportsmalike but at least we arn't out there to hurt people or trying to end careers.....which I believe speaks highly of our boys in an era where respect among players seems to be at an all time low.
Posted Image

#23 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,741 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

THe Canucks do things that any other team would do.

But the extreme, we probably don't go that far.

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.