The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Surprisingly Interesting Article From Eklund: Canucks Playoff Matchups

jonnycanuck46

Philly beat Pitt with Crosby out for most of those games. NYR and Pitt are the teams to beat out East. We have to hope that they get banged up in the process.

Out West my biggest concens were the Blues and Preds. The Preds have dissappointed to date with their acquistions not winning games for them. Trotz is a great coach so you have to assume that come playoffs they will come thru. A darkhorse if they can be called such would be SJ. They still have the big guns and could grow through a series. They have been dissappointed more than the Canucks come playoffs. Their goaltending might be suspect.

Wow Eklund made some pretty bold predictions there.

I dont see the Panthers going all the way to the conference finals.

Or the Kings knocking out Chicago in the first round.

I would love it though, if Detroit can take out the Preds in the first round.

The team with the hottest goalie usually makes it to the SCF. How they fare in the finals however depends on the attrition that is acumulated getting to that point. In the west, you need to watch St. Louis, Nashville, and L.A. In the east, NYR. Canucks may not need to see them until the second round, but they still will have to go through one or two teams with good goalies to get to the finals. That Smith guy in Phoenix is stupid hot right now, but it may not last.

LA doesn't have the scoring depth to match the Hawks. And their D is too slow to contain the Hawks speed.

We all saw how Mitchell "handled" the Hawks when we played them. And that was 4 years ago...

LA doesn't stand a chance. The only reason they're even in a playoff spot is because San Jose, Dallas, and Anaheim were so brutal the rest of the season.

I don't think regular season match ups mean much. They can mean something for division rivals.

I don`t really see it at all like Eklund. In the East New York has a very easy route both in travel and opponents. I think the first two rounds will be fairly easy for them buffalo or Washington will be easy. New Jersey is also a pretty easy match up for New york.

East Round 1 (winner on the left)

New York VS Buffalo or Washington

Boston VS Ottawa

New Jersey VS Florida

Philly VS Pittsburgh (could go either way)

round 2

New York VS New Jersey

Boston VS Philly (could go either way)

Round 3

New York VS Boston

In the west it is looking like the Canucks will have a fairly easy road unless the standings change. Sharks or Kings will be a good match up for the Canucks. In the second round we will get Chicago who I think we will be able to beat especially if Toews is out of their line up. I think the best match up in the final for the Canucks would be a Detroit team that has gone through Nashville and St.Louis. This is the best case scenario because those are two tough match ups that will wear Detroit out. In addition to this they would have eliminated St.Louis and Nashville two teams which make me worry the most. This seems unlikely to me.

The West Round 1

Canucks VS sharks or Kings

St.Louis VS Phoenix

Chicago VS Kings or Sharks

Nashville vs Detroit (could go either way)

Round 2

Canucks VS Chicago

Nashville Vs St. Louis (could go either way)

Round 3

Canucks VS Nashville

The Cup Finals

Canucks VS New York

Only Eklund would think that the team who won a season series would win a playoff series.

East:

NYR in 7 over Wsh or Buf

Ott in 7 over Bos

Fla in 6 over Njd

Pens in 5 over Phi

NYR in 6 over Fla

Pens in 7 over Ott

Pens in 7 over NYR

West:

Van in 6 over Sjs

Stl in 5 over Phx

Lak in 7 over Chi