Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Food Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
103 replies to this topic

#1 Redacted

Redacted

Comets Prospect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

Well not quite as deep as something like the God Thread but I really like cooking/eating (hurrrr) and I was wondering what everyone'd favorite foods and dishes are? I'm not really good at this whole making a thread thing I feel like there is a lot more expected of me than what I'm putting out there right now... Yeah.

I mean I would go first but my level of expertise is around "Capable of boiling noodles".

Edited by Redacted, 04 April 2012 - 02:13 PM.

People talk about pressure like it's something negative. Pressure means your actions have meaning, that people care about whether you succeed or fail. Pressure is everything.

#2 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

Posted Image
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#3 Redacted

Redacted

Comets Prospect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

Shift-4 you are the worst kind of people. :P
People talk about pressure like it's something negative. Pressure means your actions have meaning, that people care about whether you succeed or fail. Pressure is everything.

#4 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

only on the best days ::D
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#5 lateralus

lateralus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

Since summer is around the corner (right,? I'm sure any day now)....here's a tasty little treat.

Take an apple, cut in slices.
Mix brown sugar and honey in a dish
Coat apple slices with brown sugar/honey mixture
Throw on the BBQ until caramelized
EAT!
CDC is a reflection of society.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,054 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

i swear we've had 3-4 iderations of this already, it always just fizzles out and disappears. i think one was locked due to a heated personal dispute between vegans and smart people that enjoy all food.

#7 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,792 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

I recently discovered how easy it is to make crepes...even gluten-free and even lactose-free ones.

Put this in a blender:
1 cup milk (use almond milk for lactose-free)
1/3-1/2 cup flour (use rice flour and tapioca starch for gluten-free)
2 eggs
2 tablespoons melted butter (use canola oil for lactose-free)

Blend for a couple minutes. Scrape sides and blend for another minute. Let it sit for 10-30 minutes (optional, but makes it more fluffy).

Pour some into the middle of a hot non-stick pan - take up a little less than half the pan. Then using a spatula, lightly pull (very lightly!) the liquid in each direction to make it more thin. Wait a couple minutes (till starting to brown like a regular pancake), flip with a rubber spatula (should hold together well), and brown the other side for a minute or two, then ready.

Serve with whatever you like. Fresh stawberries and Nutella spread is a personal favourite - crushed walnets puts it over the top.

---------------------------------

My wife can't have gluten, and is lactose intolerant, so crepes is something she can never get. In fact, until I made them the first time a couple of months ago, she had never had them. Now I make them once a week for her - it's so easy.

If I were young and single again, I would love to have this in my back pocket to impress the ladies. Especially one who is gluten-intolerant. It's sophisticated, yet simple and inexpensive.

Edited by D-Money, 04 April 2012 - 02:59 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Magikal

Magikal

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

I'ma chef myself so feel free to ask away on any questions you might have. I might even offer some recipes of mine :P
Posted Image
Credit to Lahey.

October1st,2013. #HistoryWillBeMade

#9 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

Tacos, Nachos, and Chili is the best food you can get! :P

Also this thread should've been made years ago.

Edited by Toasta Brigger, 04 April 2012 - 05:45 PM.

#10 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69,262 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

Mmmm, Butter Chicken!

I love Indian Food. :P

307mg00.jpg

#11 yawn.3x

yawn.3x

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

SUUUUUUUUSHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#12 Redacted

Redacted

Comets Prospect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

i swear we've had 3-4 iderations of this already, it always just fizzles out and disappears. i think one was locked due to a heated personal dispute between vegans and smart people that enjoy all food.

I will protect my precious thread until the end. No mod shall come between me and my children!

#13 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,977 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

Good breakfast suggestions anyone?

Something different? Not your average eggs or pancakes?
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#14 Redacted

Redacted

Comets Prospect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

I recently discovered how easy it is to make crepes...even gluten-free and even lactose-free ones.

I'm going to try this tomorrow or sometime soon, it sounds like something I'm actually capable of doing.

I'ma chef myself so feel free to ask away on any questions you might have. I might even offer some recipes of mine :P

Any personal favorites would be really cool, even things that are far beyond my level of skill. I'm more infatuated with the idea of being able to cook more than the act itself. I have apps and all that on my phone but I'm just... bad at it.

#15 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

Shift-4 you are the worst kind of people. :P

here you go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JshNOVHWfuc

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#16 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

does that mean each iteration was idiotic?

#17 BZRK

BZRK

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

Zomg. just made a quick dinner. chicken breasts marinated in lemon juice, orange juice, lime juice, garlic, soy sauce, and oil. pan-fried it for about 8 minutes either side. absolutely delicious.

DARRENHELM

Posted Image

marinated.pea

#18 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

take 2 pieces of toast, and on one piece throw on some jam and on the other piece throw on some peanut butter, voila you have yourself a masterpiece. :)

much better than Caviar lol

#19 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

This thread was made on time,I had an so many great meals today!

breakfast: ham, cheese, and vegetable omelet with a ham steak and bacon on the side

lunch: philly cheese steak sandwich with fries and an amazing coleslaw

post workout meal: barbeque grilled chicken and spaghetti with meat sauce from gino's!

and for dinner im gonna be at my parents house having ribeye steak, scalloped potatoes, cesar salad, and honey glazed ham

life's good

Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#20 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,410 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

Good breakfast suggestions anyone?

Something different? Not your average eggs or pancakes?

Yogurt (I recommend fat free french vanilla) with your berry of choice thrown in, and a handful of almonds.

Healthy, filling, and oh so delicious.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#21 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

I made fresh Mozarella and a quart of ricotta this weekend. Damn I love food.

Posted Image

Edited by Harbinger, 04 April 2012 - 08:36 PM.

Posted Image

#22 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

This info is from a website and video explaining how to eat better. Basically I've been eating foods that burn fat instead of storing fat or turn into sugar. Rice, potatoes and corn turn into sugar which is stored as fat. One conflicting report from the video said that oatmeal is a bad carb but I read somewhere else that it acts as a binding agent with body fat stored and helps burn it off. I'm guessing it works since I've been losing weight so there's that. Bread, crackers and pasta are bad carbs too. There are good breads made from sprouted grain, rice or spelt, those are hard to find where I live so I just don't eat any bread.

The main thing to do is eat a small amount every 2 to 3 hours. It will help with metabolism, I feel hungry most of the time because I'm eating small meals but my stomach is adjusting to it and it helps burn fat that way too I think. Before I started eating that way I lost maybe 7 pounds in a month just from cutting out sugary or fatty foods like donuts, chocolate, etc. In 2 (to 3) weeks since I started I've lost close to 10 pounds. (That includes a weekend where I went off the diet, ate some tortilla chips, cheese, a couple oreos, a hamburger, and half a hot dog, which made me gain one pound back) The person that suggested this lost 35 pounds in the first 4 months.

Some of the things I eat:

Half a cup of oatmeal (cooked with a cup of water) 1/4 cup of frozen blueberries, raspberries or strawberries and 1/8 of a cup of Silk Almond Vanilla Milk. (I had to start drinking this in place of cow's milk a few months ago because of acid reflux)

One egg + 1/4 cup of egg whites, 2 pieces of turkey bacon.

Brocoli soup with celery, carrots, (a sweet potato), some frozen peas, smoked turkey, low sodium ham and a can of cream of chicken. (Do the same with a pack of split peas) Sweet potato is optional, had one left over from the night before and didn't want to waste it. In the past I would make the soup with regular potatoes to make it a little thicker.

A cup of fruit salad, strawberries, cantaloupe, honeydew, grapes, apple, kiwi, etc. (I read that oranges turn into sugar as well, might have to check on that again since I still drink some orange juice)

Romaine lettuce, spinach, carrots, celery, cucumber, tomato (sometimes a piece of skinless chicken and turkey bacon) (fat free ranch dressing but I read somewhere that dressing turns to sugar as well)

Brown rice or a half a sweet potato with a fist sized piece of skinless chicken and other veggies (zuchinni, spinach, peppers, carrots, celery) (chicken or fish, we don't get very much fish down here sadly)

A can of tuna mixed with some spinach, mustard, diced celery.

Low fat Vanilla yogurt (the fat free kind I can't stand) (sometimes put blueberries in it)

A handful of dry roasted peanuts, almonds or cashews. (I want to make my own trail mix when I get a chance to get to the better grocery store. Almonds, cashews, peanuts, raisins, maybe some dried cranberries, pineapple and apricots.)

Sometimes a Special K protein shake or bar (even though it's pretty fatty and the bar has rice in it)

Edited by DRCN SLYR, 04 April 2012 - 08:49 PM.

Posted Image

#23 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,077 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

Steak with potatoes <3

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#24 We Broke The Cup

We Broke The Cup

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

Bacon or just about anything with bacon in it.

#25 Redacted

Redacted

Comets Prospect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:18 PM

Bacon or just about anything with bacon in it.

Baconnaise? Has anyone had that? The concept kind of disgusts me but I'm not as enamored with bacon as most seem to be.

#26 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:23 PM

This info is from a website and video explaining how to eat better. Basically I've been eating foods that burn fat instead of storing fat or turn into sugar. Rice, potatoes and corn turn into sugar which is stored as fat. One conflicting report from the video said that oatmeal is a bad carb but I read somewhere else that it acts as a binding agent with body fat stored and helps burn it off. I'm guessing it works since I've been losing weight so there's that. Bread, crackers and pasta are bad carbs too. There are good breads made from sprouted grain, rice or spelt, those are hard to find where I live so I just don't eat any bread.

The main thing to do is eat a small amount every 2 to 3 hours. It will help with metabolism, I feel hungry most of the time because I'm eating small meals but my stomach is adjusting to it and it helps burn fat that way too I think. Before I started eating that way I lost maybe 7 pounds in a month just from cutting out sugary or fatty foods like donuts, chocolate, etc. In 2 (to 3) weeks since I started I've lost close to 10 pounds. (That includes a weekend where I went off the diet, ate some tortilla chips, cheese, a couple oreos, a hamburger, and half a hot dog, which made me gain one pound back) The person that suggested this lost 35 pounds in the first 4 months.

Some of the things I eat:

Half a cup of oatmeal (cooked with a cup of water) 1/4 cup of frozen blueberries, raspberries or strawberries and 1/8 of a cup of Silk Almond Vanilla Milk. (I had to start drinking this in place of cow's milk a few months ago because of acid reflux)

One egg + 1/4 cup of egg whites, 2 pieces of turkey bacon.

Brocoli soup with celery, carrots, (a sweet potato), some frozen peas, smoked turkey, low sodium ham and a can of cream of chicken. (Do the same with a pack of split peas) Sweet potato is optional, had one left over from the night before and didn't want to waste it. In the past I would make the soup with regular potatoes to make it a little thicker.

A cup of fruit salad, strawberries, cantaloupe, honeydew, grapes, apple, kiwi, etc. (I read that oranges turn into sugar as well, might have to check on that again since I still drink some orange juice)

Romaine lettuce, spinach, carrots, celery, cucumber, tomato (sometimes a piece of skinless chicken and turkey bacon) (fat free ranch dressing but I read somewhere that dressing turns to sugar as well)

Brown rice or a half a sweet potato with a fist sized piece of skinless chicken and other veggies (zuchinni, spinach, peppers, carrots, celery) (chicken or fish, we don't get very much fish down here sadly)

A can of tuna mixed with some spinach, mustard, diced celery.

Low fat Vanilla yogurt (the fat free kind I can't stand) (sometimes put blueberries in it)

A handful of dry roasted peanuts, almonds or cashews. (I want to make my own trail mix when I get a chance to get to the better grocery store. Almonds, cashews, peanuts, raisins, maybe some dried cranberries, pineapple and apricots.)

Sometimes a Special K protein shake or bar (even though it's pretty fatty and the bar has rice in it)

one could eat like this, or they could enjoy bacon
Posted Image

Yo Yo you cant see me anyway what i dont need to writing skills to act cool i got froobacks and steel chains to act cool i lead the new school. Iam untochable this wont be a fight ill walk away with your mic and make you suck your own tailpipe

#27 Tocinetaloco

Tocinetaloco

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

My contribution:
Posted Image
Tocineta = Bacon
Loco = Crazy
I AM CRAZYBACON

#28 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

On most days, this is probably the best tasting thing in my day. Its the price I gotta pay to get ripped and stay lean.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#29 Redacted

Redacted

Comets Prospect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:42 PM

My contribution:
Posted Image

This is the best thing ever! Except my roommate uses it all.

#30 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:06 AM

love chicken sauce

edit: i should clarify that is what i call that red chili sauce lol

Edited by GodzillaDeuce, 05 April 2012 - 12:08 AM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.