The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Food Thread

Redacted

This info is from a website and video explaining how to eat better. Basically I've been eating foods that burn fat instead of storing fat or turn into sugar. Rice, potatoes and corn turn into sugar which is stored as fat. One conflicting report from the video said that oatmeal is a bad carb but I read somewhere else that it acts as a binding agent with body fat stored and helps burn it off. I'm guessing it works since I've been losing weight so there's that. Bread, crackers and pasta are bad carbs too. There are good breads made from sprouted grain, rice or spelt, those are hard to find where I live so I just don't eat any bread.

The main thing to do is eat a small amount every 2 to 3 hours. It will help with metabolism, I feel hungry most of the time because I'm eating small meals but my stomach is adjusting to it and it helps burn fat that way too I think. Before I started eating that way I lost maybe 7 pounds in a month just from cutting out sugary or fatty foods like donuts, chocolate, etc. In 2 (to 3) weeks since I started I've lost close to 10 pounds. (That includes a weekend where I went off the diet, ate some tortilla chips, cheese, a couple oreos, a hamburger, and half a hot dog, which made me gain one pound back) The person that suggested this lost 35 pounds in the first 4 months.

Some of the things I eat:

Half a cup of oatmeal (cooked with a cup of water) 1/4 cup of frozen blueberries, raspberries or strawberries and 1/8 of a cup of Silk Almond Vanilla Milk. (I had to start drinking this in place of cow's milk a few months ago because of acid reflux)

One egg + 1/4 cup of egg whites, 2 pieces of turkey bacon.

Brocoli soup with celery, carrots, (a sweet potato), some frozen peas, smoked turkey, low sodium ham and a can of cream of chicken. (Do the same with a pack of split peas) Sweet potato is optional, had one left over from the night before and didn't want to waste it. In the past I would make the soup with regular potatoes to make it a little thicker.

A cup of fruit salad, strawberries, cantaloupe, honeydew, grapes, apple, kiwi, etc. (I read that oranges turn into sugar as well, might have to check on that again since I still drink some orange juice)

Romaine lettuce, spinach, carrots, celery, cucumber, tomato (sometimes a piece of skinless chicken and turkey bacon) (fat free ranch dressing but I read somewhere that dressing turns to sugar as well)

Brown rice or a half a sweet potato with a fist sized piece of skinless chicken and other veggies (zuchinni, spinach, peppers, carrots, celery) (chicken or fish, we don't get very much fish down here sadly)

A can of tuna mixed with some spinach, mustard, diced celery.

Low fat Vanilla yogurt (the fat free kind I can't stand) (sometimes put blueberries in it)

A handful of dry roasted peanuts, almonds or cashews. (I want to make my own trail mix when I get a chance to get to the better grocery store. Almonds, cashews, peanuts, raisins, maybe some dried cranberries, pineapple and apricots.)

Sometimes a Special K protein shake or bar (even though it's pretty fatty and the bar has rice in it)

This info is from a website and video explaining how to eat better. Basically I've been eating foods that burn fat instead of storing fat or turn into sugar. Rice, potatoes and corn turn into sugar which is stored as fat. One conflicting report from the video said that oatmeal is a bad carb but I read somewhere else that it acts as a binding agent with body fat stored and helps burn it off. I'm guessing it works since I've been losing weight so there's that. Bread, crackers and pasta are bad carbs too. There are good breads made from sprouted grain, rice or spelt, those are hard to find where I live so I just don't eat any bread.

The main thing to do is eat a small amount every 2 to 3 hours. It will help with metabolism, I feel hungry most of the time because I'm eating small meals but my stomach is adjusting to it and it helps burn fat that way too I think. Before I started eating that way I lost maybe 7 pounds in a month just from cutting out sugary or fatty foods like donuts, chocolate, etc. In 2 (to 3) weeks since I started I've lost close to 10 pounds. (That includes a weekend where I went off the diet, ate some tortilla chips, cheese, a couple oreos, a hamburger, and half a hot dog, which made me gain one pound back) The person that suggested this lost 35 pounds in the first 4 months.

Some of the things I eat:

Half a cup of oatmeal (cooked with a cup of water) 1/4 cup of frozen blueberries, raspberries or strawberries and 1/8 of a cup of Silk Almond Vanilla Milk. (I had to start drinking this in place of cow's milk a few months ago because of acid reflux)

One egg + 1/4 cup of egg whites, 2 pieces of turkey bacon.

Brocoli soup with celery, carrots, (a sweet potato), some frozen peas, smoked turkey, low sodium ham and a can of cream of chicken. (Do the same with a pack of split peas) Sweet potato is optional, had one left over from the night before and didn't want to waste it. In the past I would make the soup with regular potatoes to make it a little thicker.

A cup of fruit salad, strawberries, cantaloupe, honeydew, grapes, apple, kiwi, etc. (I read that oranges turn into sugar as well, might have to check on that again since I still drink some orange juice)

Romaine lettuce, spinach, carrots, celery, cucumber, tomato (sometimes a piece of skinless chicken and turkey bacon) (fat free ranch dressing but I read somewhere that dressing turns to sugar as well)

Brown rice or a half a sweet potato with a fist sized piece of skinless chicken and other veggies (zuchinni, spinach, peppers, carrots, celery) (chicken or fish, we don't get very much fish down here sadly)

A can of tuna mixed with some spinach, mustard, diced celery.

Low fat Vanilla yogurt (the fat free kind I can't stand) (sometimes put blueberries in it)

A handful of dry roasted peanuts, almonds or cashews. (I want to make my own trail mix when I get a chance to get to the better grocery store. Almonds, cashews, peanuts, raisins, maybe some dried cranberries, pineapple and apricots.)

Sometimes a Special K protein shake or bar (even though it's pretty fatty and the bar has rice in it)

Great marinade for prawns:

Start with a little oil and add the following to taste

honey

italian seasoning

chilli powder

a pinch of garlic powder

dill

Fry in a pan or BBQ until pink, great with a nice steak.

Yes we use lots of honey in our house, it's easy to do when your wife's parents own a bee/honey farm.

Archived