The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Food Thread

Redacted

Here's a couple of AWESOME cheese spreads that are quick and easy:

1) Cut a block of cream cheese in half, through the middle, so that you have two wide blocks of it about 1.5cm thick. Lay them in an oven safe dish, and cover them with a thin layer of sweet chili sauce. Bake for about 7-10 minutes (until warm throughout), and serve with a savory cracker (spread is sweet, so savory works better).

2) Chop up finely a blend of fresh parsley, garlic, and sundried tomato. Put a thick layer of it on top of a package of brie (the full round one, with the rind all the way around it). Bake for about 10-15 minutes, then let cool for a bit. Serve with any cracker - rice crackers work especially well with this.

Also, these are the best crackers in the world, and are gluten-free to boot:

marys_crackers.png

Cheapest place to buy them is Costco. You get 3 times more for about the same price as what they'd charge you at a high-end supermarket.

Great little snack is Ritz cracker with cream cheese, shrimp and green onion.

Really simple, from crack up it's:

Ritz cracker (or any cracker you like)

Cream cheese

Marinara sauce (pic below has hot pepper jelly)

Shrimp or prawn

Topped with finely sliced green onion

Hot-Pepper-Jelly-Cream-Cheese-61610.jpg

made cedar plank sockeye salmon and carne asada with my special mashed potatoes and grilled nectarines for desert for my parents and visiting relative a couple days ago. it turned out great, rick bayless's recipe for carne asada was amazing.

anyway, here's my recipe for the mashed potatoes

peel 6 large potatoes and cut them into 1 inch cubes and rinse briefly under cold water.

place potatoes in a pot, fill with enough cold water to cover potatoes by at about an inch and place on stove on high heat.

salt the water and cover until it starts to boil and cook until fork tender, usually about 2-5 min.

drain and return the potatoes to the pot, add a tablespoon of butter, a couple dashes of garlic powder and 1-2 teaspoons of "better than bouillon" chicken base.

add a splash of half and half and mash everything together, continue to add some splashes of half and half until you get to your desired texture. serve while hot.

My favourite meal of the day is breakfast, so it's kinda natural that my favourite thing I've ever eaten is a custom breakfast pita. Though it's not something I typically eat, and you'll see why after I explain what's in it.

This is something I used to make for myself during morning shifts at a sandwich shop I used to work at.

- Basically I take 2 or 3 eggs, crack them over the frying pan, scramble them, and stuff it in a pita

- I add some slices of cheddar and mozzarella right after to give it a chance to melt.

- Then I fry some bits of honey ham, and add it in. Then some slices of bacon. Then a couple of chopped up breakfast sausage patties. Once I also added some pieces of sliced steak.

- A couple of diced mushrooms added for good measure.

- Then I top it all up with some squirts of mayonnaise and ketchup (keeping it simple), and a sprinkling of salt pepper.

And that completes the most delicious ball of grease I've had the fortune of eating. It's one of those guaranteed heart attack type deals, lol. Not so easy to make when I don't have a sandwich counter in front of me either. I only bothered actually trying to make it once or twice at home.

With summer coming up, this is an OUTSTANDING store-bought dessert:

0211.jpg

It's fruit sorbet, in actual fruit shells. They're freakin delicious, much lower in fat than ice cream, individually wrapped, and don't require messing up any bowls. And they look impressive too - just pull them out of the wrappers, and put them on a platter (maybe with some other fruit, garnish, or decor), and people will be blown away.

35-us12pkservingsuggestion_2070_large.jpg

Bought them at Costco before, but have been looking for them and haven't seen them in a while. Perhaps they only stock them in the warmer months.

With summer coming up, this is an OUTSTANDING store-bought dessert:

0211.jpg

It's fruit sorbet, in actual fruit shells. They're freakin delicious, much lower in fat than ice cream, individually wrapped, and don't require messing up any bowls. And they look impressive too - just pull them out of the wrappers, and put them on a platter, and people will be blown away.

Bought them at Costco before, but have been looking for them and haven't seen them in a while. Perhaps they only stock them in the warmer months.

Yeah those are great.

And while you're there getting these also pick up the Kirkland Veggie burgers, by far the best store bought veggie burger out there.

Now all you need is some beer and your summer is set!

IMG_0222.JPG

I love dessert and confectionaries so much that I am going to do it as a profession.

I discovered the French Macaron (don't be mistaken by the macaroon) a few months ago and wanted to make them, but I was a little intimidated to make them as I had read that they were hard/finicky to make. I made my first batch a couple months ago and I've made it several times since then, always trying out different flavours. I'm still trying to master the art of the "macaronage."

These little things are gluten free and really good (that is if you've got a sweet tooth.)

macaron.jpg

Easy & tasty summer dessert:

Pie shell (you can make your own, or buy one from the store, which is just as tasty IMO)

Fresh blueberries & rasperries

1 cup sour cream

1 cup unflavoured yoghurt

1/4 cup white sugar

teaspoon vanilla

1 egg

Pour berries into pie crust, mix together all other ingredients, pour over berries in the pie crust, bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Let cool completeley in fridge. Enjoy!

I actually haven't tried those beers yet. I'd have to say, for a summer beer, it's hard to top La Fin Du Monde:

unibroue-la-fin-du-monde__82331_zoom.png

At 9%, two 650ml bottles will be enough for a wonderfully inebriated afternoon/evening.

Marinating a salmon fillet over night today for lunch tomorrow. What do you usually side with salmon? This is my first time eating salmon, I've had fried sea food before but I plan on grilling it tomorrow.

Cheers

Marinating a salmon fillet over night today for lunch tomorrow. What do you usually side with salmon? This is my first time eating salmon, I've had fried sea food before but I plan on grilling it tomorrow.

Cheers

Archived