Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain Aerosex

Great Pitb Article Regarding "the Trade"

127 posts in this topic

This kind of provides stats from how I've felt about the trade the whole time. Gillis made some moves that make the team more playoff ready right now. I don't think that Gillis wanted to get rid of Hodgson but he new that he was not the right guy to be playing 3rd line center in the playoffs and I guess they didn't think he was ready/capable of playing wing on the second line, and he was already reportedly unhappy with his minutes so there really wasn't much of a choice but to trade him.

Unfortunately Gillis let go of a huge talent in Hodgson but I believe the team is better suited for the playoffs now then without him. This year and the next two years are our windows to win and Gillis and co are doing their best to make that happen, and hopefully Kassian pans out and turns into the type of player that his potential belies.

No doubt Hodgson has defensive issues. Pahlsson will show his worth in the playoffs, I think this trade is better than I originally thought.

He may not be as showy as Hodgson (and I don't mean that as an insult, just a comment on his style), but I really like what Pahlsson brings to the team. I do think it was a great trade. Unfortunately, fans here seem to only like showy players and not quiet, hardworking ones.

I still think that the market value for Cody should have been higher though and that we could have gotten a pick coming back our way with ZK and MAG.

In the end, it's still Hodgson for Kassian.

Hodgson wasn't a defensive liability with the Canucks. He may be struggling in Buffalo for the same reasons why Kassian has been invisible and ineffective, as they haven't fully adapted to their new team's system. Don't forget that at the time of the trade and the few weeks prior, Hodgson had played A LOT of games (something like 12 games in 20 days?).

Still a bad trade IMO but the its in the past now, nothing we can do.

So in light of the Kassian vs Foligno topic, and the continued ZOMGZ Y HODGSON!??!? sentiment around here, I thought some of you might want to read this recent PITB article that might help you rethink what happened on trade deadline day. Might also bring some optimism to your view on the Canucks' post-season.

(Full article is here)

Basically, what I think you should all take from that article is to look at the trades from that day in a different perspective. A lot of people have been fuming about the Kassian trade, the primary reason (other than CoHo fandom) being that we've thrown away a currently contributing player for a future project that might not even work out! I know, I had similar feelings.

But, as has been stated time and time again, Pahlsson is Hodgson's replacement. Not Kassian. I'll run that by you one more time...

The move to have Pahlsson replace Coho was the right choice. Not as exciting and popular as having a young dynamic potential superstar, but this cautious approach will give us a better chance for a long run in the playoffs.

No, you don't need to run that by me one more time. I am quite aware of who took Hodgson's place as the centre on the 3rd line. Only idiots who casually follow the team think that Kassian was Hodgson's replacement. Thanks for coming out though.

Hodgson wasn't a defensive liability with the Canucks.

That being said, i still like what happened on deadline day.

Trust in Gillis. Cheers.

TOML

He may not be as showy as Hodgson (and I don't mean that as an insult, just a comment on his style), but I really like what Pahlsson brings to the team. I do think it was a great trade. Unfortunately, fans here seem to only like showy players and not quiet, hardworking ones.

Thing is, we didn't trade Hodgson and Sulzer for Pahlsson. We traded two picks for Pahlsson.

'The trade' didn't involve Pahlsson. It involves Kassian and Gragnani.

While we see the overall picture, it at this point is still hard to defend 'the trade', since we gave up two 'current impact' (your assessment) players for zero in return. What kind of move is that for a cup run?

Question: We get Pahlsson and then stop trading. Is that better or worse than what we did on deadline day?

Even if Cody Hodgson rides the pine for the entire playoffs, we'll still have our top prospect available to us in the future, AND we'll still have Pahlsson.

No, you have to start defending Kassian and Gragnani before you can easily defend 'the trade.'

imo. Enter 'individual agendas.' Because Cody's individual agenda is what prompted his trade. Not the gain of Kassian and Gragnani. And esp. not the gain of Pahlsson, who we had before Cody was traded.

For a resource on why Cody was actually traded, i'd probably go to HF and look at that trade assessment thread on the main board. Some blabbering blowhard who writes like a lawyer has spent an epic amount of time filling up most of the 2000 posts regarding the trade. Cheers.

TOML

Yes he was. I loved the guy, and don't want to sound like I'm taking cracks at him because he's a young guy, but he was a liability. For every big goal he scored, there were plenty scored on him because of his inability to defend. Sure, he has a different role with the Sabres, but it's not like he's in the cooker, he's just in a more realistic role. In Vancouver, he was getting sheltered minutes, typically with two very responsible wingers (usually Higgins and Hansen). That inflated his stats more than Buffalo's deflated his, if you will.