Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Ryan Clowe Deliberately Hits Puck On Ice From Bench

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
73 replies to this topic

#1 eagleeyedak

eagleeyedak

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:30 PM

At 2:44 left of tonights 5-5 tie game between the Sharks and Kings, Ryane Clowe, while on the SJ bench, reaches over the boards with his stick and tips a puck being played up ice on a mini-break by Jarret Stoll. Stoll and Drew Doughty were livid. Each of the four refs apparently missed what was blatantly obvious to most anyone watching the play. Never seen this before, and have to wonder if Clowe is gonna receive the first Playoff Shannaban of 2012.

(video when it becomes available)

Edited by eagleeyedak, 05 April 2012 - 10:45 PM.

#2 Redacted

Redacted

Comets Prospect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

Can't wait to see this. What is he thinking?
People talk about pressure like it's something negative. Pressure means your actions have meaning, that people care about whether you succeed or fail. Pressure is everything.

#3 Guest_AriGold_*

Guest_AriGold_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

I was watching the game and it was a joke, like insanity that 4 officials on the ice didnt see it. Yes Linseman can make this call as well.

p.s. Playing the puck from the bench isnt a suspendable offense, just a douchie one...

Edited by AriGold, 05 April 2012 - 10:43 PM.

#4 drdeath

drdeath

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,140 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:46 PM

From a couple of trigger happy refs I was shocked they couldn't see that.

aXmDa9t.gif

#5 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:46 PM

i saw that lol. was like wtf?!
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#6 samirjaver

samirjaver

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

LOLOL

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

It's like what the commentators say in every single sports movie ever made: "I've never seen THIS before!"

#8 eagleeyedak

eagleeyedak

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

I was watching the game and it was a joke, like insanity that 4 officials on the ice didnt see it. Yes Linseman can make this call as well.

p.s. Playing the puck from the bench isnt a suspendable offense, just a douchie one...

Anything is suspendable.

28.1 Supplementary Discipline - In addition to the automatic fines and suspensions imposed under these rules, the Commissioner may, at his discretion, investigate any incident that occurs in connection with any Pre-season, Exhibition, League or Playoff game and may assess additional fines and/or suspensions for any offense committed during the course of a game or any aftermath thereof by a player, goalkeeper, Trainer, Manager, Coach or non-playing Club personnel or Club executive, whether or not such offense has been penalized by the Referee.

#9 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,395 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

Hello suspension.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#10 *VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

*VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

Lul

• Members
  • 11,769 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

The life of the NHL, inconsistency at its best

Posted Image

^Vintage Canuck^

CDC STHS Hockey League Commissioner

CDC STHS Tampa Bay Lightning

#11 Real deal - Stan Smyl

Real deal - Stan Smyl

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

At 2:44 left of tonights 5-5 tie game between the Sharks and Kings, Ryane Clowe, while on the SJ bench, reaches over the boards with his stick and tips a puck being played up ice on a mini-break by Jarret Stoll. Stoll and Drew Doughty were livid. Each of the four refs apparently missed what was blatantly obvious to most anyone watching the play. Never seen this before, and have to wonder if Clowe is gonna receive the first Playoff Shannaban of 2012.

(video when it becomes available)

Suspension for that? 2 minutes for too many men would be appropriate.

Sometimes it is better to remain silent and seem a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

#12 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,506 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

Both defenders are back and one of the forwards at least is backchecking as well. Why would he even need to do something so stupid...

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#13 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,395 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

Sometimes it is better to remain silent and seem a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Players can get suspended for getting involved in a fight/scuffle when on the bench, what's stopping Shanahan from handing out a suspension?

#14 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,282 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:04 PM

Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#15 eagleeyedak

eagleeyedak

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:04 PM

I agree...shame you don't know the rules, since you have some grand idea of what's appropriate and what's not.

The NFL suspended a New York Jets trainer indefinitely and fined the team in 2010 for tripping a Miami Dolphins player on the field from the sideline. What's the difference? Ah, yes, the NFL actually cares about the integrity of the game. Might have me there...

#16 Real deal - Stan Smyl

Real deal - Stan Smyl

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:05 PM

Players can get suspended for getting involved in a fight/scuffle when on the bench, what's stopping Shanahan from handing out a suspension?

Answer: common sense.

Note: common sense isn't real common on this site.

#17 Stark

Stark

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

Wow, I can't believe all 4 refs missed that. What was he thinking? Incredibly stupid on his part.
Posted Image

R.I.P. LB RR PD

#18 Real deal - Stan Smyl

Real deal - Stan Smyl

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

I agree...shame you don't know the rules, since you have some grand idea of what's appropriate and what's not.

The NFL suspended a New York Jets trainer indefinitely and fined the team in 2010 for tripping a Miami Dolphins player on the field from the sideline. What's the difference? Ah, yes, the NFL actually cares about the integrity of the game. Might have me there...

I stand corrected. Your NFL reference is totally relevant, and your superior knowledge of the hockey rulebook is undeniable. I am sure Shanny will suspend Klowe for multiple playoff games. You are right.

Twit.

#19 EternalCanuckFan

EternalCanuckFan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

My guess is he isn't going to get any benefit of the doubt from refs for quite awhile.

#20 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:11 PM

what an idiot. and I would definitly suspend him for that. one game.

#21 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:14 PM

Insults are pretty common, people using actual intelligent words and explanations to support their point of view is uncommon.

#22 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,395 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:17 PM

Good to see I still have more 'individuals' to add to my ignore list.

#23 Real deal - Stan Smyl

Real deal - Stan Smyl

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:21 PM

The typical "waaaaaa, give that guy a penalty" mentality that makes us the most hated team/fans in the league.
Get over it people! It's actually kinda funny :)

#24 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:30 PM

The typical "waaaaaa, give that guy a penalty" mentality that makes us the most hated team/fans in the league.
Get over it people! It's actually kinda funny :)

Actually this year all the hate is on Pittsburgh.

Who will it be next year?

#25 Guest_The Brown Burrows_*

Guest_The Brown Burrows_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:34 PM

I would like for him to be suspended (it was a close game, playoffs around the corner...)
^NHL inconsistency at it's best ;)

He should be fined $2500.

#26 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:38 PM

Anything is suspendable.

28.1 Supplementary Discipline - In addition to the automatic fines and suspensions imposed under these rules, the Commissioner may, at his discretion, investigate any incident that occurs in connection with any Pre-season, Exhibition, League or Playoff game and may assess additional fines and/or suspensions for any offense committed during the course of a game or any aftermath thereof by a player, goalkeeper, Trainer, Manager, Coach or non-playing Club personnel or Club executive, whether or not such offense has been penalized by the Referee.

Rule 28.1 doesn't mean anything in the game is subject to supplemental discipline. It just means any infraction not covered by automatic suspensions and fines is subject supplemental discipline.

Ryan Clowe didn't break any rules here. Don't think you could really call too many men since he wasn't on the ice. Like Sean Avery's tactics to distract Martin Brodeur, there probably will just be a memo sent around the league to not to do this again. And introduce new interpretations of rules.

Posted Image

#27 Redacted

Redacted

Comets Prospect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

Clowe breaking new ground tactics-wise. Every team is going to be adopting this new bench puck playing strategy from now on.
People talk about pressure like it's something negative. Pressure means your actions have meaning, that people care about whether you succeed or fail. Pressure is everything.

#28 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

ahaha what a idiot
Posted Image

#29 Real deal - Stan Smyl

Real deal - Stan Smyl

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

Rule 28.1 doesn't mean anything in the game is subject to supplemental discipline. It just means any infraction not covered by automatic suspensions and fines is subject supplemental discipline.

Ryan Clowe didn't break any rules here. Don't think you could really call too many men since he wasn't on the ice. Like Sean Avery's tactics to distract Martin Brodeur, there probably will just be a memo sent around the league to not to do this again. And introduce new interpretations of rules.

Some common sense ... Thanks.
If Clowe had jumped on the ice, stole the puck and rifled it at the net, all he would have gotten is two minutes for too many men.
I swear, it seems hockey is a brand new thing for some of you people. Recent immigrants trying to interpret Canada's game using cricket rules perhaps?

#30 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:58 PM

in a tight game that has huge playoff ramifications as to who gets home ice in the 1st round, yeah I'd consider that something that is suspendable. maybe only for one game, but make it a point of saying how any like action is completely unacceptable and compromises the integrity of the game, and any like action in the future would be much more severe.
Posted Image

Yo Yo you cant see me anyway what i dont need to writing skills to act cool i got froobacks and steel chains to act cool i lead the new school. Iam untochable this wont be a fight ill walk away with your mic and make you suck your own tailpipe

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.