The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Clowe Deliberately Hits Puck On Ice From Bench

Come on man I've only followed hockey for two years, live in England and am constantly learning new things about this sport and even I know it's illegal to play the puck from the bench.

I mean...seriously.

Easy for you to say after reading all the posts, but how often does a play like this happen? Ever? It's a given that you don't do something like that. It's a given that you don't do what Sean Avery does to the goalie.

I made a comment based on the comments of Darryl Sutter immediately after the game. I did not read through the rulebook. I'm sure none of you did either. It was after the media, who get paid for stuff like this, read through the rulebook and made it known. Then i get called an idiot and can't comprehend reading.

Hey I did that once when I was 8!! I got a penalty for interference :( No jokes.

But seriously the fact that NO ref saw it when the puck was basically being played at that point is a joke, did NO referees have their eyes on the friggin player with the puck? Why do I doubt the answer is no?

And I'd say Clowe should get a fine, suspension? Not really since it hasn't happened before to my recollection but if it starts happening more....

So to recap ... Someone suggests that this is act deserves a suspension, to which I reply that it should only be a minor penalty. Then lateralus says I'm the dumbest poster on the net, and proceeds to post the rule showing that this should be called a bench minor, proving that I am right. ....I may have just lost my championship belt:)

So, to clarify for all you "kids who don't read good" ... Nobody said this shouldn't be a penalty. It should have been two minutes - but not suspendable. Some here have argued that this should be dealt with severely because of the importance of the game and situation ... So if that line of thinking is true than maybe tripping and holding in the last few minutes of important games should also be suspend able? Reality is that we cant make up rules to make us feel better.

Furthermore, there is, and always has been such a thing as a good penalty. If Toews had Bieksa beat in a tied game seven should he not haul Toews down? You bet he should. If he did - "due to the situation" would we have to make up a new rule saying that this was disrespectful to the game and therefore deserve a suspension of some sort?

There should be a minimum iq required for posting. All those under the bar just read and learn.

"You're wrong" is that not suffice?

Sean Avery facing Brodeur, isn't that common sense? But there was no rule for it? When you think of "interference" you think of the picks and late hits, not that kind of stick infraction. It's not too many men either.

For all those people that don't think it's a penalty/fine and think it's funny, let's put this into perspective; what if the Canucks were victimized AND they were fighting for the playoffs AND it led to a goal?

People here would be calling for Clowe's head.

It's unbelievable how many people here actually think Clowe's actions are "funny". It really isn't.

Archived