Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Who Do You Want To See The Canucks Face In Round 1?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Who Do You Want To See The Canucks Face In Round 1? (97 member(s) have cast votes)

Who do you want to see the Canucks face in round 1?

1. Phoenix Coyotes (41 votes [42.71%])

Percentage of vote: 42.71%

2. San Jose Sharks (55 votes [57.29%])

Percentage of vote: 57.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

With everything thats going on right now, Presidents trophy race , injuries of players, returns of players, goalie Contraversy, it seems like we might have over looked the fact, that our potentiall opponent is pretty much set. It will be either the Phoenix Coyotes or the San Jose Sharks.

For some reason, Oiler fans and Flames fans are always hanging around here, I like to hear only from Canucks fans.

Who do you want the Canucks to face in round 1? Simple question. Please put in why.

My Choice?

San Jose Sharks

First off.

Phoenix Coyotes. Roberto Luongo has been having trouble with these guys this season. They are extremely well coached, and they play a system that forces the opposition to shoot only at goalie from a stoppable angle. They play a very tight defensive game, and much more difficult opponent to play against. They might not be as fast or as big as San Jose, but their system is much more effective thus making them a much difficult opponent to play against then San Jose.

San Jose Sharks. Them trading Heatly for Havlat , made them take a step `back` on foward depth. They lost Ian White, but got back Brent Burns. Brent burns was aquired by trading away Setogouchi. Goaltending is ok for them, quite consistent all season long, but we are 3-1 against them , and to add to that, we beat em in 5 games last playoffs.

I think the Cancuks should beat any of these 2 guys in less then 7 games. 6 tops, I am expecting we should beat any of these guys in 5 or 6. There shouldn`t be 7 games, if there is, it`s going to be tough in the later rounds, but you get my point.

So who do guys rather see the Canucks face in round 1

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#2 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

There have been quite a few topics about this before.

Still, I'll amuse you. I was gonna say Phoenix, but I'm worried about Smith going all "Tim Thomas"-y on us. So I'll go with San Jose, whom we can outscore.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#3 cool story bro

cool story bro

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

San Jose--they're like an inferior version of us.
Posted Image

#4 Grind-Like-Lightning

Grind-Like-Lightning

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

I missed the part where it was impossible for us to meet L.A...
Posted Image Posted Image

#5 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

Not another one of these threads :picard:

RIP LB RR PD

#6 captain_kirk1

captain_kirk1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

I was just about to make a thread on this!

Personally I would choose SJ

Canucks seem to play well against them and I think they play a more open style than PHX or LA

Also goalies Jonathon Quick of LA and Mike Smith of PHX have been lights out as of late. They would make scoring for the Canucks a lot more difficult than Niemi.

Sure Niemi has won a cup, but I'd say he's not as consistent as the two names above (with regards to this season)

Plus I just hate the Sharks more than LA or PHX and would love to send Dumbo Joe, Logan "my teeth hurt" Couture and the rest of that goon squad packing!

Edited by captain_kirk1, 05 April 2012 - 11:02 PM.

#7 captain_kirk1

captain_kirk1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:04 PM

edit fail*

Edited by captain_kirk1, 05 April 2012 - 11:04 PM.

#8 Stark

Stark

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:04 PM

Why the blue text?

There's still LA, whom I definitely wouldn't want to face.
Posted Image

R.I.P. LB RR PD

#9 NuckNuckNucks

NuckNuckNucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:06 PM

Phoenix seems to give the Nucks a hard time. San Jose is my preference.
You have to be a true bandwagoneer if you buy Mike's line about looking for the right deal to trade Luongo.

True fans and hockey diehards know, that is double talk for, "Luongo is a high ticket commodity now or next year, we'll keep him around just in case Schneider turns out to be a lemon and chokes games."

And choke he will.

I know this. I'm never wrong.

#10 nucklehead53

nucklehead53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

I think I'll take SJS, for 2 reasons

a) They are in our time zone, so travel won't be such an issue to start the playoffs.
B) Chance for chance, we would score more often
It only takes one hard fought series to make a rivalry

#11 Hockey Coach12

Hockey Coach12

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:11 PM

I would like to see the Canucks play the Sharks, but I think we end up playing the Yotes. Sharks were great tonight, especially on the man advantage (3 for 6)!
I think they may beat the Kings again on Saturday, and depending on what Chicago does against Detroit, CHI could end up staying 6th and playing the winner of the Pacific (Sharks, LA or PHX), or end up 5th and have to play Nashville. I hope they have to play Nashville, Rinne is a monster in the net against them.

I guess there is a part of me that hopes that CHI makes it past the 1st round so we can exact our revenge for the Keith hit on DS.

Edited by Hockey Coach12, 05 April 2012 - 11:12 PM.

#12 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

Why isn't LA in the poll...? As it looks now we'll likely face LA or SJ which is not going to be an easy series by any stretch.. I would love to face Phoenix but seems unlikely we do.

#13 Durian

Durian

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:16 PM

SJ, always exciting games with them

hi wee trad bobbi luuuu 4 ryan clowne. we gett big depht wingelrs who can [****] kasasian up in fite an kill ben marchandt an duncen keiths we will win with gritti forward yes?

ok butt i already kno mark gillis he taek recomiendation from mee al time. i responsibel for his disisihun to draft sedin ok?

Posted Image

#14 Cristalinastar

Cristalinastar

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

Logan "my teeth hurt" Couture

OMG LMFAO he is soooo hard to look at!

16 WINS-its the beauty way to go!

Posted Image

credit to canazzy

#15 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

L.A. is a possibility as well. Out of the 3 possible opponents, I'd probably choose the Kings. I don't care that the Sharks have had to fight for their playoff lives down the stretch here, I still see them as one of the top teams in the West. I think we could beat them but they're just not a preferable opponent to have to deal with in the 1st round. The Coyotes aren't that great a team but they have a hot goalie in Mike Smith, who I'm predicting will nab the 3rd Vezina nomination behind Lundqvist and Quick, and we all are aware how the Canucks struggle against teams that employ a stifiling defensive system like the Coyotes do. That leaves the Kings, and although they also have a Vezina candidate in net and play a defensive game, they just seem like the easier opponent. Might have something to do with the fact it seems the Canucks are in their heads. I think the Canucks could handle them easily in the playoffs, whereas you could see Phoenix potentially pull off some sort of an upset if Smith is in God mode and the Canucks' offense can't find a groove against them.

My dream scenario, assuming the Canucks do finish 1st in the conference, is the Coyotes finish 1st in the Pacific Division and 3rd in the conference and play the Hawks in the first round, the Sharks finish in 7th and have to deal with the Blues, and the Kings finish 8th and play the Canucks.

#16 K.Duke9

K.Duke9

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:22 PM

Who are the Phoenix Coyotes? I forgot.

#17 Nashi

Nashi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,921 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

San Jose please. :towel:

canucks141.png

#18 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,030 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

I would go either way, but what do we know now tonight? Hah, nothing is settled, with one game remaining, every position is still in play.

1 Van or St Louis vs 8 LA, SJS, or Pho
2 St Louis or Van vs 7 LA, SJS, or Pho
3 LA, SJS or Pho vs 6 Chicago or Detroit
4 NSH or Detroit vs 5 Chicago or Detroit or Nashville(but only if Nash loses and detroit wins)

Chicago beat detroit 3-2 in December
Detroit beat CHicago 3-2 twice in January but both in OT
Chicago Beat Detroit 2-1 in feb and again in march both in regulation
They play again on saturday.

If chicago wins in regulation they are 5th, if they win in OT they still get fifth by the third tie breaker. Detroit keeps fifth if they win, period.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#19 rypper-37

rypper-37

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

SJS. More intense, more dynamic and we know we can beat these guys. (not that I'm doubting our ability to play against Phoenix)

#20 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

San Jose cause I'd like to see Kassian slapping Thornton around. The crowds are better, and Neiemi isn't as tough to beat as Smith. Plus Torres has something to prove. I wish we'd have kept him.

#21 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,587 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

I was Going to Say Phoenix but now I realize Smith could pull a Thomas on us so I will choose San Jose, there Big Guns still Scare me though, Couture is going to be San Jose's best skater.

I think in order to Beat San Jose our Depth Scorers are going to have to Come through, but In order to Beat Phoenix our Top guns our going to have to be at there Best, and Since Dannys Hurt and The 3rd Line and Lappierre are really on top of there Game, I think we won't struggle scoring as much agianst San Jose.

Still San Jose won't be easy, Some people are Saying we will outscore them Chance for Chance but I'm not 100% Sure about that, with a Healthy Thornton (Which they didn't have last year) and Also, Havlat, Pavelski, Couture, Marleau, Boyle and Burns, they Have the Fire Power to Score just as much as us.

They Definetly are not going to be as Easy to Beat as Last Season.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 05 April 2012 - 11:48 PM.

zackass.png

#22 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:51 PM

It seems people are still forgetting that L.A. is in the mix to be one of Vancouver's potential opponents. Or am I wrong?

#23 morrissex95

morrissex95

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:28 AM

Phoenix isn't as strong physically as San Jose. They've got very little speed in that lineup and their defence is good, but slow. We'd beat them in Five maybe Six Games and we'd come out of the series without any major injuries. I'd suggest benching or limiting the ice time of Daniel Sedin in such a series because our offence is so superior to that of the Coyotes'.
Posted Image

#24 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78,787 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:29 AM

Sharks

307mg00.jpg

#25 Toni Zamboni

Toni Zamboni

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,164 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:32 AM

how bout the flames?

oh yeah...LOLOLOL...poor flamers:O)

You can view all of my CDC artwork in this thread:

http://forum.canucks...f-toni-zamboni/

Follow me on Twitter:  @Toni_Zamboni

#26 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:39 AM

Not another one of these...

#27 Ricciuti1

Ricciuti1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:40 AM

Coyotes hands down. The sharks are a lot more physical. We don't need our players being hurt after the first round if we were to move on.

Mike Smith and the Yotes will be worn down come playoffs. I am not worried about Smith being able to pull a "Thomas". Yes we beat the sharks in 5 last year, but a lot of those games could have gone either way (especially game 5). We also had that one game where we had so many 5 on 3 pp's. Sharks are dangerous and are still a contender in my opinion.

#28 Ricciuti1

Ricciuti1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:40 AM

Coyotes hands down. The sharks are a lot more physical. We don't need our players being hurt after the first round if we were to move on.

Mike Smith and the Yotes will be worn down come playoffs. I am not worried about Smith being able to pull a "Thomas". Yes we beat the sharks in 5 last year, but a lot of those games could have gone either way (especially game 5). We also had that one game where we had so many 5 on 3 pp's. Sharks are dangerous and are still a contender in my opinion.

#29 LeafsHater

LeafsHater

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:17 AM

Sharks... Reason: I hate them more than the other two..

Posted Image

Silver and Bronze are overrated, GOLD Is what matters. Technically Silver and Bronze means you lost still.
RIP Luc Bourdon

Ohhh Oh OH Vancouver For the New Goal Celebration Theme Song!

#30 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:46 AM

Phoenix. This team is way over achieved and they are no elite team.
San Jose will be VERY SCARY. Thornton, Marleau, Clowe, Couture etc....BIG and Strong with skills!
LA is a young team that tries to prove that they are contender. However, they are only pretender.

Sharks > Kings > Dogs

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.