The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Grags

Grape

I've been reading this forum ever since the big trade and now that my team is out of the playoffs I'm going to give a short answer to my opinion of the trade. Out of respect to the emotions that you guys were feeling I stayed away from posting up until now.

I thought at first that Darcy fleeced the 'nucks big time but now I'm not so sure about that anymore.

-----

CoHo- Poor player defensively and I've seen him give up on plays a couple of times after he's gotten deked out ahead of the blue line. He skates like he's skating in mud (i.e. slow). He seems to be well liked by the team so far. I still have very high hopes for him. He will get better every season.

Sulzer- I absolutely love this guy! He works hard and he does what it takes to win a game.

-----

Kassian- Make no mistake about it. Big Kass only got traded because he was in Lindy's dog house for quite some time. I want to see him do well. He needs seasoning to become a very good player. I'm thrilled that the Canuck organization is playing him on it's fourth line. He will be a part of your future but make no mistake about it, he will never be a Lucic kind of player. However he works very hard and is a great guy off the ice.

Gragnani- In my opinion he will not be a part of the Canuck's organization for more than another year or two. The Canucks are just too good of a team for him to ever crack the lineup in any meaningful way.

Like I said this is just my opinion. Take it as you will.

P.S. I'm rooting for the Preds first and foremost to make it because Goose (Gaustad) was traded to them. I love that guy. However once the Preds get bounced from the playoffs I'm going to root for the 'nucks because I would like to see Big Kass' name on the cup.

I've been reading this forum ever since the big trade and now that my team is out of the playoffs I'm going to give a short answer to my opinion of the trade. Out of respect to the emotions that you guys were feeling I stayed away from posting up until now.

I thought at first that Darcy fleeced the 'nucks big time but now I'm not so sure about that anymore.

-----

CoHo- Poor player defensively and I've seen him give up on plays a couple of times after he's gotten deked out ahead of the blue line. He skates like he's skating in mud (i.e. slow). He seems to be well liked by the team so far. I still have very high hopes for him. He will get better every season.

Sulzer- I absolutely love this guy! He works hard and he does what it takes to win a game.

-----

Kassian- Make no mistake about it. Big Kass only got traded because he was in Lindy's dog house for quite some time. I want to see him do well. He needs seasoning to become a very good player. I'm thrilled that the Canuck organization is playing him on it's fourth line. He will be a part of your future but make no mistake about it, he will never be a Lucic kind of player. However he works very hard and is a great guy off the ice.

Gragnani- In my opinion he will not be a part of the Canuck's organization for more than another year or two. The Canucks are just too good of a team for him to ever crack the lineup in any meaningful way.

Like I said this is just my opinion. Take it as you will.

P.S. I'm rooting for the Preds first and foremost to make it because Goose (Gaustad) was traded to them. I love that guy. However once the Preds get bounced from the playoffs I'm going to root for the 'nucks because I would like to see Big Kass' name on the cup.

The other night when Lu was pulled, a couple of those goals were caused by really bad defensive plays by MAG. They were still shots that Lu probably could have gotten if he was on his game a bit more, but if MAG had been playing his position properly, those shots would likely not have been taken at all.

And really, he might have just had a three game point streak, but other than that he's barely showed up on the offense either.

So to sum it up, he's really aggressive offensively but hasn't been putting up many points, and he makes some really bad defensive plays. He also seems to have trouble forcing people off the puck and making solid checks. Not saying he has no upside, obviously he can move the puck really well, but that doesn't really make up for his weaknesses.

So yeah, people aren't really loving him right now, it does make sense. Just like Kassian though, willing to give him a chance. Can't wait to see what those two bring in the Playoffs, because let's face it, the regular season hasn't mattered all year other than just to get back to the playoffs.

The other night when Lu was pulled, a couple of those goals were caused by really bad defensive plays by MAG. They were still shots that Lu probably could have gotten if he was on his game a bit more, but if MAG had been playing

his position properly, those shots would likely not have been taken at all.

And really, he might have just had a three game point streak, but other than that he's barely showed up on the offense either.

So to sum it up, he's really aggressive

offensively but hasn't been putting up many

points, and he makes some really bad defensive

plays. He also seems to have trouble forcing

people off the puck and making solid checks.

Not saying he has no upside, obviously he can

move the puck really well, but that doesn't really

make up for his weaknesses.

So yeah, people aren't really loving him right now, it does make sense. Just like Kassian though, willing to give him a chance. Can't wait to see what those two bring in the Playoffs, because let's face it, the regular season hasn't

mattered all year other than just to get back to the playoffs.

My whole post got deleted?? Retype time.

He's only ever played 78 NHL games, came to a new team, new conference and is playing on his offside (he's a natural lefty).

He's also coming off a 3 game pt streak (which ended tonight). Ballard has never had a 3 gm pt streak w/ Nucks. Did I mention he's almost 1/8th the cost of Ballard. When he re-ups this summer, I can't see him making more than $1.1M which is still 1/4 the cost of Ballard.

Grags has 3 pts in 14 games w/ Nucks (projected 18 pts in 82 gms)

Ballard has 7 pts in 47 games w/ Nucks (projected 12 pts in 82 gms)

Would you rather have:

$.550M defenseman w/ 18 pts on your bottom d-pairing

$4.2M defenseman w/ 12 pts on your bottom d-pairing

I see what you are saying........however.

I see much of these AV "musical chairs" line ups as some kind of therapy designed to take the D's out of their comfort zone and latterly as a means of bedding MAG in. This is done a lot in Dutch Soccer to good effect and it gives insight into how team mates play in different situations.

I therefore have no doubt that come the playoffs, given that everyone is fit, that the lines will be.

Ham - Bieksa

Edler - Salo

Ballard - Tanev

MAG, Alberts and Rome will spell Tanev and Salo.

I'm seriously confused why everybody is complaining about MAG right now, and even after the flames game where i thought he played just fine.

He did make some bad plays the first few games he played, but right now he is really contributing to our offence. I know he doesn't have a lot of points, but at least he's making plays

What can't you guys see the bright side of MAG, not just him on defence, because that is not what we brought him in for, we brought him in for offence.

Not worried about Grags. He's a quick skating puck moving d man with loads of upside.

Yes he has lots to work on; but he's only 24; and considering the heavy hitters he has around him; I'm not worried about that side of his game.

On top of that, hes a former AHL Dman of the year, and has been coached by AV before. Be just a little more patient my fellow Canucks fans. :)

How could AV have ever coached MAG? AV is in his 5th year as Canuck coach and the year befor that he coached the Moose. Before the Moose he was in Montreal and Ottawa at the NHL level. At 24 MAGS was drafted as a 18 yer old. Sorry but this doesn't add up.

MAG's turnover rate has been high since he came here. Even when he doesn't turn it over he takes high risk chances. He might be suited to the Van possession game but his defence might cost him the opportunity. I highly doubt he gets CUP playoff time unless Van has an injury. I am not sayin he cannot be a Canuck regular in time. With Ballard healthy he drops to 5 on the left side depth chart. Another challenger will be K Conn who has a bomb off the left point and can play a more physical game. A heavy point shot is particularly appealing to the Canucks as their forwards feed the point a lot.

Archived