The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Grags

Grape

I'm seriously confused why everybody is complaining about MAG right now, and even after the flames game where i thought he played just fine.

He did make some bad plays the first few games he played, but right now he is really contributing to our offence. I know he doesn't have a lot of points, but at least he's making plays

What can't you guys see the bright side of MAG, not just him on defence, because that is not what we brought him in for, we brought him in for offence.

Uhhh... Right... Delusional...

I am no more a "fan" of any player on the Canucks then any other player...

Nope, not always! With our system, there is usually a winger who goes to cover the point in that situation. If MAG sees an opportunity to create offense and that involves being behind the goal line, good for him. One of the reasons the Green's and Boyle's (not saying he is in the same stratosphere as them...yet) are effective is that they confuse defences by doing just that, going down low from time to time. It messes up defensive assignments and can create scoring and passing lanes.

To stoop down to your stereotyping level for just a second, I bet you thought Alberts belonged in the AHL when he was traded here and that he would never get better...

I see what you are saying........however.

I see much of these AV "musical chairs" line ups as some kind of therapy designed to take the D's out of their comfort zone and latterly as a means of bedding MAG in. This is done a lot in Dutch Soccer to good effect and it gives insight into how team mates play in different situations.

I therefore have no doubt that come the playoffs, given that everyone is fit, that the lines will be.

Ham - Bieksa

Edler - Salo

Ballard - Tanev

MAG, Alberts and Rome will spell Tanev and Salo.

Gragnani being behind the net in the offensive zone isn't a negative? So when he goes down there, and there is suddenly an odd man rush going the other way, it's okay? Personally, I think Gragnani fans are delusional and won't accept the fact that he's rubbish. You guys all just think he'll "learn the system" and get better after a year or two. What is this "system"? The art of playing defence? We have a defenceman who doesn't know what defence even is. Therefore, you're all saying we have to teach him. What a waste of time/effort.

Under my P.S. I put the Preds as my first team and the 'nucks as my second team. The Preds because their fans are pretty cool, but most of all because we traded Gaustad to them. There's no way that the Preds will get past the second round though. If I remember correctly, Gaustad becomes a UFA after this season and any team would do well for themselves by picking him up.The Canucks are my second team because Kassian now plays for them and also because I'm pretty much bandwagoning because I think that the Canucks are going to take the cup and finally because our teams joined the league at the same time so there's a little history there between the two teams.

Grit from either Ballard or Gagnani? come on. Rome, Alberts, those guys give you grit, Bieksa gives you grit, those two give you flashy puck rushes and endless inability to cover in their own end. I dont want to see either in the lineup come playoff time. Bottom pairing should be a rotation of Alberts, Rome and Tanev. Those three bring what a bottom pairing should be, solid in their own end, able to make the first pass, if that pass is not there, up the boards and out, smart defensive hockey in limited ice time roles. They know whats expected of them and they bring it game in and game out. Ballard and Gagnani don't get that there are times to push the puck and pinch and there are times to back off and play smart. No way should they see the ice in the playoffs, not even if the injury bug bites.

Uhhh... Right... Delusional...

I am no more a "fan" of any player on the Canucks then any other player...

Nope, not always! With our system, there is usually a winger who goes to cover the point in that situation. If MAG sees an opportunity to create offense and that involves being behind the goal line, good for him. One of the reasons the Green's and Boyle's (not saying he is in the same stratosphere as them...yet) are effective is that they confuse defences by doing just that, going down low from time to time. It messes up defensive assignments and can create scoring and passing lanes.

To stoop down to your stereotyping level for just a second, I bet you thought Alberts belonged in the AHL when he was traded here and that he would never get better...

He was a marvelous player. He fits every criteria for what Gillis was looking for in a Defencemen. That sad thing was, he did it at the AHL Level. AHL defencemen of the year does not mean NHL success. He is young, but not kid young, he is 25. He's a boom or bust. He has not looked overall extremely impressive, personally he's not even as good as Tanev, sure maybe he's got more offensive game, but other then that, He needs to work on defensive coverage, or else his offensive skills will be useless. If you ask me, since the trade deadline, he's been the biggest liablity back there. You can't honestly tell me there is another defencemen that screwed up more then he did. He was ok, maybe in handful of games, but even then, he made huge blunders sometimes, and looks lost at the NHL. Of course not saying he will not be an ok defencemen, I am hoping he does, he was apparently quite impressive last year in the playoffs, so who knows. Since we are now competing for Lord Stanley, I much rather have Ballard or Tanev over him rather quite easily.

Archived