The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion/proposal] Moving Keith Ballard To Lw/rw

I think that Alain Vigneault and Mike Gillis should discuss moving Keith Ballard to LW, possibly on the Fourth Line, at least for the time being or during the playoffs when AV decides to put Gragnani or Alberts in instead of him.

Here's my rationale

-Ballard can fight. He's definitely not a goon, but the guy can fight.

-He can hit. If he were a forward, hitting wouldn't put him out of position as often.

-He's one of the fastest players in the league. Him being a forward wouldn't' effect our Team Speed

-He holds onto the puck on D

-He isn't suited for our first-pass defensive system. He's a shoot first player. Perfect for a 2nd to 4th line Forward position on this team

-His experience as a D-Man wouldn't make him a defensive liability as a forward.

-Maybe being a forward would encourage him to keep his head up

-Take a look at this:

I don't see why this shouldn't be tried in the last game-- guys like him and Gragnani join the rush consistently already, so they could benefit. Why not even try Gragnani - Kesler - Booth on 2nd and Ballard - Manny/ Ebbett - Weise/ Bitz for the 4th? Gragnani has decent vision as a passer from the wing (he could consistently fire passes to RK17 and Booth and have those two guys do their thing) while Ballard - Ebbett - Bitz looks intriguing too (though it has the look of a line for a preseason game-- but Ebbett can make plays, Ballard rushes and Bitz/ Weise also has the skill to be able to play well with them)

Marc-Andre Gragnani has been touted as a young, high profile blue liner. He's a younger, better version of Keith Ballard. As for giving David Booth the "Raymond treatment", I've watched Booth play lately. He's generating chances but he's just not finishing well. I'd give it it time, but I wouldn't scratch him. In fact, I still think Raymond is the guy who needs to be scratched. I don't know, the low percentage shots he takes just really irritate me. He's got so much potential and he just ruins it by taking low percentage shots on goal. In a series against, say, Chicago i think he'd be a decent winger for us. Otherwise, I don't see where he fits in on this team especially when we recall Steven Reinprecht.

Keith Ballard, however, would be suited for a 4th line role. I don't think he'd be so afraid to go those rough areas as he currently is if he were simply playing in a more offensive role. I also think he's not used to being a bottom-pairing Defenseman and that's affected his play adversely. Either way, I think scratching Raymond, keeping Booth in the lineup and moving KB to the Wing is the best plan going into the first round.

Guest The Brown Burrows

I think that's good if we didn't have 1-2 games left. Maybe. Ya don't really hipcheck as a forward.

Archived