The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

It's Time To Deal With The 2Nd Line Enigma.

Bodee

The second line is not producing and I have a theory as to why that is.

It was thought at the time that because Booth and Kesler had played together in their formative years that there would be a chemistry. Actually I don't know why so much store was put into this factor (maybe it wasn't a factor at all of course as far as AV was concerned) because a) we don't know there was any chemistry back then and B) Kesler's game has changed a lot since coming to the Canucks.

I also imagine the same could be said for David Booth.

The problem as I see it is Booth has not learned to play with his line mates on this team and he seems unwilling to change his style.

We need the second line to be high producers and you won't achieve that if the puck is not circulated. Most of the best lines I have watched know the value of passing and passing early.

For example, watch the last night's Boston game.

I would prefer to see Booth bumped up to first with the Sedins or down to third with Hansen and Pahlsson..............or even 4th if that's what it takes until he gets some team mojo going.

Sedins - Booth

Higgins - Kesler - Burrows/Raymond

Lapierre/Raymond - Pahlsson - Hansen

Ebbett - Manny - Lapierre/Bitz/Kassian/Reinprecht

It may be too late now to try something like this but no one can convince me, the second line will produce with Booth partnering Kesler. If all else fails Booth MUST be told to pass earlier and to get his head up.

Discuss.

Edit Include Burrows/ Raymond/ ........Raymond/Lapierre combinations. Thanks for pointing out my drunken omission. :picard:

I remember saying at the beginning of the Year that Kesler should have been moved to the wing (where He started his career)

Putting Coho in the Middle to distribute the puck to the speedy and shoot happy Booth and Kesler

All great centres are set up men and passers first

They are the Drive -( Coach V mentioned earlier for Kes to use his wingers)

When Booth drives to the Net with the puck,why isnt someone following Him for the rebound ?

Maybe they feel that if they are not getting the Passes, that they have to do it themselves to get the chance to score?

Im not sure how You fix it this late, but I do know they have to move the puck around more

regarding PP, I remember Kes standing in front creating havoc for the Goalie, I no longer see that (maybe saving His body for the rigors of the Playofffs)?

Wondered why they didnt try putting Kass to do that job (Like Bertuzzi did here in his day??

Kes is MIA.

I don't see a lot of distribution from Kes to his wingers,as has been noted for some time now.

Kes plays like a winger,as does Booth and May Ray and Higgins.

As ballisticsports states,the problem is that Kes is a winger playing centre and a playmaking centre,Hodgson,is gone.

Kk first I would like to say good job to AV for finally getting Henrik out of his slump with a pretty surprising combination of players but they have been playing well with Henrik (Burrows,Lapierre). I think that a solution to the second line would be to put daniel sedin there when he gets back but that seems a bit unlikley because the team is going to want Lappy to play a more physical roll. It is also obvious to me that when you put Lappy with the right people he can produce, also he was great on the third line last playoffs. These are my line combinations to get everyone at there best.

Daniel-Henrik-Burrows (If they get pushed around then change them up)

Higgins-Kesler-Booth (It has been good before and with a hot higgins who knows)

Lapierre-Pahlsson-Hansen (a very phisical third line which is able to put the puck in the net)

Raymond/Weise/Bitz-Manny-Kassian (depth)

Archived