The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dan Hamhuis-Wow!

Hamhuis2

canucks defense would be nothing without hamhuis! remember last year when hamhuis got injured in the stanley cup finals in game 2? It all went downhill for the canucks since then and boston ended up scoring 21 goals in 5 games after that while the canucks only scored 4 goals! Hamhuis was a HUGE reason for canucks failure in the stanley cup finals both offensively and especially defensively. Can't also rule out sedins disappearing and luongo choking as well

I would say he's by far our best defenseman, and one of the most underrated players in the league. He barely gets noticed because he doesn't talk much and he doesn't make flashy, highlight reel plays other than the occasional big hit. But what makes him great is that he does his job, and he does it consistently every time.

How often do you hear the following:

"Good play by Hamhuis to break up the rush!"

It's so satisfying when that happens...

The best thing about Hammer is he chose to play here. As soon as his contract with Nashville was up, he refused to sign anywhere until free agency opened and jumped on the first offer Vancouver sent his way. He wants to be in Vancouver, and we need all the players we can get with his devotion to this team.

Yep...as well as not having Rome, 2 top 6 forwards (Samuelsson and Raymond - who was playing really well at the time), our shut down forward playing with one eye and out of game shape, Kesler playing on one leg, Edler with busted digits, Ehrhoff with a bum shoulder...etc...all by game 6

Its a wonder we managed to get to game 7 with how banged up we were. Boston had an easy road by comparison to us getting to the Finals.

The difference this year is that the teams coming out of the East are much stronger, and will pose a much harder road to anyone who makes it to the finals. I think we also have more depth to fill the holes should anyone go down.

I think he's our MVP on defence, easily most underrated.

Edler may be better offensively (albeit only by 10 or so points) but Hamhuis is far more reliable defensively. You could make the case that Bieksa is our best overall defenceman but his defensive play is shocking on his own - he really relies on Hamhuis more than anything else.

Hamhuis does it all though - almost .5 PPG and a sparkling +/- on a not-so-great plus-minus team like Boston.

What can you say about Dan Hamhuis? He is EXTREMELY underrated outside of Vancouver, perhaps even in VanCity itself. The man has 37 points and is a +28. Thats good enough for top 25 in defenseman point totals and 2nd in the league for defenseman +/- (only behind Chara). He is only one point off of his career high in points, which he set in his second full year in the NHL with Nashville.

This guy is an absolute stud defensively, delivers clean, crisp breakout passes, and leads the charge on the backend, yet he is hardly ever discussed.

Let's compare him with the rest of our defense, which, might I add, are also solid.

Dan Hamhuis: 81gp, 37pts, +28

Kevin Bieksa: 77gp, 43pts, +12

Alex Edler: 81gp, 49pts, +0

Sami Salo: 68gp, 25pts, +7

Chris Tanev: 24gp, 2pts, +9

Keith Ballard: 47gp, 7pts, +0

As we can see, Hamhuis has a +16 lead on second place (in terms of +/-).

Overall, while Edler leads the team in points, his +/- is a bit disturbing and truly speaks of his defensive struggles in the second half of this season. Kevin Bieksa is also having a good season, amassing his highest point totals in some time, as well as having a sold +12 rating. Salo actually played the majority of games this year, and was solid. Tanev has been very impressive and while the points aren't there, the defensive play is, as seen in his +9. Ballard was playing a lot better before he got hurt.

In conclusion, I believe that this year, Dan Hamhuis has been our best defenseman, unsung hero, and perhaps even MVP.

Appreciate him Vancouver, he is one of the best that there is.

Lieutenant Dan is rocking it up. Sticking with Jory's Forrest gump theme. Anyway amazing year for hammer. Definitely a team MVP candidate if you ask me.

There's a reason I named myself after him. Hamhuised is what I say to my friends whenever he lays out a big hip check or awesome poke check or when he breaks up a 2 on 1 so well.

My friend especially hates when I do it in NHL 12.

Anyway much love for #2

Archived