Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Washington Boy, 9, Writes Apology To Girl He Shot

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 AmericanRuse

AmericanRuse

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

Washington Boy, 9, Writes Apology to Girl He Shot

http://news.yahoo.co...topstories.html

By Alyssa Newcomb | ABC News Blogs – 14 hrs ago

A 9-year-old boy in Bremerton, Wash. wrote a letter apologizing to a classmate who was seriously wounded after a gun discharged from his backpack, lodging a bullet in her spine.

The handwritten letter, which was written as part of a court ordered mandate, was addressed to Amina Bowman, 8, who was released from the hospital on Tuesday. The boy’s name has not been made public.
"I'm sorry I hurt you because I brought a gun to school. I did not mean for any one to get hurt," the boy wrote. "I wish everyone was okay. I made a bad choice."

The letter was written as a requirement of the boy’s sentencing when he pleaded guilty to three misdemeanor charges stemming from the shooting, which police say was an accident. The Seattle Times reports the letter was written as the boy went through counseling, another sentencing requirement the boy must go through.
Six weeks after being airlifted to Harborview Medical Center, small milestones mark Amina's recovery.

A taste of soup, those first steps, and a brownie milk shake after being discharged from the hospital are all progress that her mother posts on her Facebook page.

"What a great day!!!" Teri Bowman wrote under a picture of her smiling daughter before she came home from the hospital.

On Feb. 22. Amina was shot during class at Armin Jahr Elementary School in Bremerton.
"I made a bad choice. I was sad, scared and afraid and I did not solve my problem well," the boy told her in his letter. "I will stay away from guns."

The school was put into immediate lockdown after the incident.

MaryLou Tucker, a parent of a student at the school, said the teacher in Amina's classroom did everything she could. "She had the kids sit, get underneath their desks and then made sure that the kids were accounted for," Tucker said.

The boy's prosecution will be deferred. His mother, Jamie Lee Chaffin, and her boyfriend, Douglas L. Bauer, pleaded not guilty to third-degree assault and unlawful possession of a firearm, according to ABC affiliate KOMO.

Amina's parents said she'll likely return to school in the fall.

#2 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

the NRA will have an answer for this , guns don't kill people , rappers do .

I think it's rad when balls beats natural talent

Shaun Palmer

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

#3 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,939 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:41 AM

The kid is 9. He shouldn't be court-mandated to apologize. I get why they did it, but at that age, it's not the kid's fault.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.