Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Stan Smyl

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 vladimirpuck

vladimirpuck

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

Steamer is one of the greatest Canucks of all time. He led the Canucks to the Stanley Cup Finals in '82 and more importantly he was the heart and soul of the team. I also think he is the greatest captain the Canucks have ever had. He was a very strong leader I think the strongest the team has ever had. I am wondering what others think. Any thoughts?

#2 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,000 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

Smyl, Linden, Naslund were all great leaders for the Canucks. :)

Edited by Vintage Canuck., 06 April 2012 - 06:06 PM.

307mg00.jpg

#3 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

He set a pretty good example ..for sure

among many others

to say the strongest "all time" is a bit of a stretch

although I was a very young man when the steamer was steaming

#4 Real deal - Stan Smyl

Real deal - Stan Smyl

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

If today's Canuck team had a guy or two like the Steamer, we would be defending for the SC right now. I might get roasted for sayin, but we have too many soft Europeans and French guys.

Stan was the best!!

#5 1970 and beyond

1970 and beyond

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

Smyl yes, Linden yes, Naslund no.

Been a fan from day one. Some of those days were good and some were bad.

#6 Froggy Fresh

Froggy Fresh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

Messier was the best captain.

Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!

#7 diesel_3

diesel_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,500 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

Wish I was old enough to witness him play.
Had the pleasure of meeting him in 2010 and was a total class act.
Posted Image
Thanks to JimLahey for the great Sig!
Posted Image
SUPPORT YOUR TROOPS!

#8 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

What was so bad about Naslund? He was an unbelievable player and everyone on the team respected him a lot. Just wondering why you don't think he fit the bill.
Posted Image

#9 NUCKS4CUP 28

NUCKS4CUP 28

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

If today's Canuck team had a guy or two like the Steamer, we would be defending for the SC right now. I might get roasted for sayin, but we have too many soft Europeans and French guys.

Stan was the best!!

I do agree with the bolded, but disagree with the French part. Our two notable Frenchies, Burrows and Lapierre, are the heart and soul of this team, and quite possibly the hardest working players on the team.
Posted Image

Believe in bLUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#10 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,710 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

Stan was the best!!

I am thinking La Pierre and Burr are hardly soft,not to mention they light the lamp and are kind of carrying the team in a lot of ways right now.

Hansen,Edler and Salo? Hardly soft. The twins get hacked and whacked up againsts the NHL elite every game.

Why,I think of Mason Raymond when I think soft and lo and behold he is a Western Canadian.

#11 Stark

Stark

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

Why not Naslund? He was a great leader and an even better player.
Posted Image

R.I.P. LB RR PD

#12 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,710 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

Canuck Killer.

#13 drewman54

drewman54

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

LOL
Posted Image

#14 Real deal - Stan Smyl

Real deal - Stan Smyl

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

I do agree with the bolded, but disagree with the French part. Our two notable Frenchies, Burrows and Lapierre, are the heart and soul of this team, and quite possibly the hardest working players on the team.

Obviously just my opinion, but I don't care for our two frenchies. No doubt they contribute, I just hate the drama queen stuff that seems to follow these guys around. The whole thing with the refs vs Burr was an embarrassment to the organization. Nearly crying while he gave the interview on the bike? Sorry - pathetic.

#15 vancityhockey

vancityhockey

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

Why not Naslund? He was a great leader and an even better player.

He was a very good player but a great leader? Cmon, i know we all have nostalgia about those days but lets get real. He couldn't lead us past the SECOND round, give me a freakin break

He had way more talent than Smyl or Linden but id take either of them before him in a heartbeat cause they had a hell of a lot more heart.
Posted Image

#16 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,710 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

Obviously just my opinion, but I don't care for our two frenchies. No doubt they contribute, I just hate the drama queen stuff that seems to follow these guys around. The whole thing with the refs vs Burr was an embarrassment to the organization. Nearly crying while he gave the interview on the bike? Sorry - pathetic.

You do know that Alex 'Burrows' has a British father-emigrated right from the 'Mother Land' at the young age of 23?

Those Brits-drama queens.

#17 Real deal - Stan Smyl

Real deal - Stan Smyl

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

You do know that Alex 'Burrows' has a British father-emigrated right from the 'Mother Land' at the young age of 23?

Those Brits-drama queens.

I guess he leans more to his mere.

Something about French guys - maybe I'm damaged goods, after watching the Habs dominate in the 70's. To this day i don't like frenchies.

#18 Cody9

Cody9

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

NASLUND - YES, YES, YES, YES! End of Subject!

#19 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,710 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

I guess he ieans more to his mere.

Something about French guys - maybe I'm damaged goods, after watching the Habs dominate in the 70's. To this day i don't like frenchies.

Kesler was a bigger diver than either French Canadian.Now there's a drama queen in rehab.
I used to love Bobby Orr and the Bruins but I have grown to like Les Canadiens after a lifetime of listening to the bigoted Don Cherry.

#20 Stark

Stark

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

He was a very good player but a great leader? Cmon, i know we all have nostalgia about those days but lets get real. He couldn't lead us past the SECOND round, give me a freakin break

He had way more talent than Smyl or Linden but id take either of them before him in a heartbeat cause they had a hell of a lot more heart.

He wasn't a great leader because he couldn't lead us past the second round? Slightly flawed logic if you ask me. But I would also take Smyl or Linden over him lol
Posted Image

R.I.P. LB RR PD

#21 enterin

enterin

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

Steamer is one of the greatest Canucks of all time. He led the Canucks to the Stanley Cup Finals in '82 and more importantly he was the heart and soul of the team. I also think he is the greatest captain the Canucks have ever had. He was a very strong leader I think the strongest the team has ever had. I am wondering what others think. Any thoughts?

Nope Trevor Linden hands down...brought us to the 94 stanley cup finals was screwed over by Keenan and old has been in Messier..thru it all he was exceptional leader on and off the ice..so much more ..

I like Stan Smyl for sure but if I had to pick it was Linden..

#22 Real deal - Stan Smyl

Real deal - Stan Smyl

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

Kesler was a bigger diver than either French Canadian.Now there's a drama queen in rehab.
I used to love Bobby Orr and the Bruins but I have grown to like Les Canadiens after a lifetime of listening to the bigoted Don Cherry.

I stand corrected. Sorry I left out our American "Canada hater".

#23 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,187 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

Is your skull thick or something? lol

The drama is in your head, no where else. Pathetic as it may be - sorry.

Edited by Monteeun, 06 April 2012 - 10:36 PM.

BAD MOVE!!!

BAD FING MOVE

HAHAHA ANOTHER INJURED MORON ON OUR TEAM

HE WILL JOIN US IN 2019

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

#24 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,187 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:30 PM

I guess he leans more to his mere.

old habits die hard i guess

I see you're from the old days...

Its no different then 29 other teams that hate the Canucks because we're winning.

Well, peace be with ya.

BTW, since i'm a young guy, i take Linden.

~shrugs~

Although massive respect for Smyl

Edited by Monteeun, 06 April 2012 - 10:40 PM.

BAD MOVE!!!

BAD FING MOVE

HAHAHA ANOTHER INJURED MORON ON OUR TEAM

HE WILL JOIN US IN 2019

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

#25 Nucks fan in TO

Nucks fan in TO

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

Linden and Smyl for sure...not so sure about Naslund. I think Bieksa is actually the guy on our team who takes it to another level in the playoffs more than anyone on the current roster.

#26 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

Stan Smyl was not just a great captain, he was a great player, too.

He played on a lot of really shjitty Canuck's squads in the late 70's and 80's, yet still he put up some pretty decent numbers. He was part of the second best line in Canuck's history, IMO, with Thomas Gradin and Curt Fraser. Close to 700 points in 900-ish games and 1550 PIM... just under a point per game in the playoffs... He is all Canucks!

:towel: :canucks:

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#27 nucklehead53

nucklehead53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

Why doesn't Naslund get the pass? He was a well rounded leader, with a tremendous skill-set. And, he was very classy.
It only takes one hard fought series to make a rivalry

#28 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:06 PM

Remember when he scored in overtime in game 7?
Posted Image

#29 Real deal - Stan Smyl

Real deal - Stan Smyl

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

Remember when he scored in overtime in game 7?

The game 7 wouldn't have even gone to o/ t if it weren't for a miscue by burr. Fact.

Shabba dabba doo!

Edited by Real deal - Stan Smyl, 10 April 2012 - 07:41 PM.

#30 Spoderman

Spoderman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

Those were all great players, but we all know Jan Bulis was the greatest.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Credit to BananaMash for both

STHS GM Anaheim Ducks

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.