Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Av, Mg In The Offseason And The Value Of Higgy In Mg's Offseason Moves...random Thoughts.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:20 AM

- Not trashing AV... I think he's great, but I just don't understand him sometimes. Usually, he surprises me and makes some amazing moves....and other times, I can't fathom why he keeps stick'n to his guns?

Enough with Mayray!! Yes... he will be an asset come playoffs because he adds to our depth. But, should the whole team suffer at the hopes of him getting out of his slump?

I just don't understand AV's thoughts here? Make 2 of our best PF's suffer in the hopes that one speedy winger can gain some confidence? Seriously.

Get the MF Amex line back together already!

- Are we better off having an unbelievably good 2b line or would we have better luck with an amazing 1b line?

Why not have both! Answer seems simple to me.

IMHO, I think Lappy is just as good as Higgy....when playing on the 2b line (pretty close). Why not move him to the 2b line and move Higgy to the 1b line? We need the Amex line back if we want to get far in the playoffs.....if the opponents only need to focus on the Sedins/Burrows line again, we are no better off than previous years.

Who will the opponents focus on? Both of our top two lines are dangerous, the 3rd will be no different to how they're playing now with Higgy (this still gives AV a dreamy defensive 3rd line) and the 4th line will be just as solid....ample depth for the 4th line.

Sedins & Burrows
Amex
Lappy, Pahlsson, Hansen
Bitz, Manny, Ebbett

- Guesstimating on MG and his moves this summer. If there has been one issue this season...Higgys at the center of it. I don't expect things to change in the summer.

Recently, the 2nd line has been the main worry because they just can't seem to find their scoring touch....without Higgy. AV loves having a solid defensive 3rd line with the ability to score so he doesn't want to move Higgy. Our D seems to need some help and we can always use another player to replace Ehrhoff, especially on the PP, it would be nice to add a top 4 Dman...too bad Higgy doesn't play D. And than there's the Cap...

One of MG's best moves so far is Higgy and he gives us another option that would enable us to solidify both our F and D, instead of having to choose one or the other.

As much as I would love to see Nash, Parise or someone similar, an elite player like this (if he's not a UFA) will cost a core player or take up a huge chunk in our limited Cap space. Why disrupt the chemistry and make a major move if we already have that player in Higgy? It would be much cheaper for us to find a player to replace Higgy on the 3rd and hopefully one of our Wolves will save us the trouble. We lose Mayray's contract and add a solid 3rd liner...with a respectable salary = extra Cap space AND no need to find a top 6.

This allows us to focus our Cap space and offers on a player like Justin Schultz and/or....Suter. We already lost Ehrhoff without a replacement and there's a pretty good chance that this is Salo's last year (if it's not, at least we can limit his games and save him for the playoffs).

Oops...somehow I forgot about Schneids? If nobody puts in a crazy offer for him, I think that MG will get top value for Schneids (or Lou...pending on the outcome of the playoffs). Whoever it is...we'll still have to make room for their salary and the above mentioned might help us there.

I think Higgy will be the most important factor when MG decides to make any moves in the offseason. Without him, I don't think we would be able to rectify our top 6 forwards and top 4 Dman issues in the offseason. Then again...MG knows a lot more than me :)

#2 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:34 AM

You said "Higgy" 12 times.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#3 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:37 AM

Why change a good thing? The HPH line has some good chemistry right now, and that's very important heading into the playoffs.

#4 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:49 AM

The length of that post makes me quiet and tired... why can't people post in already existing threads? WHY?! :shock:

#5 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:51 AM

Well, as much as I love Higgins, you just can't compare him to Parise or Nash...

#6 RIPRYP

RIPRYP

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:58 AM

Higgins is one of our best players in the past 10+ games. He's lighting up at the perfect time. And his effort and dedication is paramount. Why trade him? He can teach some of the slacking Canucks a thing or two...

Edited by RIPRYP, 07 April 2012 - 06:58 AM.

RIP to the BEST pound for pound fighter the NHL has ever seen. Will be missed.

#7 justsayin

justsayin

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:10 AM

Higgy man crush?

#8 Clinch16

Clinch16

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:21 AM

The length of that post makes me quiet and tired... why can't people post in already existing threads? WHY?! :shock:

True story
Posted Image

#9 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,280 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

Raymond has always performed better on away games, and the stats prove it.

Not only can he not score at home, his entire game sucks at Rogers Arena.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#10 Line Juggler

Line Juggler

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

You said "Higgy" 12 times.

It's a new drinking game
Posted Image

#11 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

Why change a good thing? The HPH line has some good chemistry right now, and that's very important heading into the playoffs.

Yeah... your right. The HPH line has some good chemistry right now, but it's at the cost of the 2nd line. You really think that a great 3rd line is more important than a great 2nd line?

And Lappy on the 3rd would make that line just as effective.

#12 smithers joe

smithers joe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

AV will figure it out....he knows more about hockey than all of us....why do we have to agree with all his decisions? as long as MG agrees with them, who cares?

#13 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:55 AM

Than there would just be a minimal amount of threads of extreme length... imagine how quiet and tired you would feel afterwards!

#14 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

Well, as much as I love Higgins, you just can't compare him to Parise or Nash...

I'm not comparing him to Parise or Nash.... I'm saying that we have a pretty good top 6 with Higgy. We have more important issues like our points on the PP and a top 4 Dman when Salo retires.

#15 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

I'm not comparing him to Parise or Nash.... I'm saying that we have a pretty good top 6 with Higgy.  We have more important issues like our points on the PP and a top 4 Dman when Salo retires.

Was there ever any doubt?

#16 jarkell1985

jarkell1985

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

I dont know why people keep thinking there is even a chance of the Canucks trading Lou.... Its not gonna happen people, if one of our goalies goes its gonna be Schneids. Lou is a canuck long term. There is no two ways about that one. Other then that good post OP. Higgy is pretty awesome

#17 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

Higgins is one of our best players in the past 10+ games. He's lighting up at the perfect time. And his effort and dedication is paramount. Why trade him? He can teach some of the slacking Canucks a thing or two...

I think he's been one of the best players since the beginning of the season. There was no mention about trading him. I'm saying that we have more important areas to fix (Like our PP and D) and Higgy gives us that opportunity, without him....we'd have to include a top 6 F in our areas to fix and what top 6F & top 4D can we get while staying under the cap?

#18 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

I dont know why people keep thinking there is even a chance of the Canucks trading Lou.... Its not gonna happen people, if one of our goalies goes its gonna be Schneids. Lou is a canuck long term. There is no two ways about that one. Other then that good post OP. Higgy is pretty awesome

I agree with you on Lou (my history of comments should prove that)...I just think that things will change if we don't win the cup. I can see the Lou-haters taking this to the extreme and Lou getting sick of the crap that a few of the ignorant fans will take this to....like when he got pulled recently.

#19 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

Was there ever any doubt?

No... but that's my point. We have a great top 6 with Higgy not Mayray, why not play him there? And without Higgy, we would have to include a top 6F to the PP and top 4Dman in areas we have to fix in the offseason. Not very easy with the cap.

#20 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

Agreed. Higgins is much better.

#21 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

I agree with you on Lou (my history of comments should prove that)...I just think that things will change if we don't win the cup. I can see the Lou-haters taking this to the extreme and Lou getting sick of the crap that a few of the ignorant fans will take this to....like when he got pulled recently.

This is what worries me, sure we would be out from under the contract but man have we gotta look like a bad team to go to if you a goalie or even just a FA in general. If Loui gets traded I don't see it reflecting well on the Canucks part fans and organization a like.

"Hey this milk is bad. Maybe tomorrow it'll be better."

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#22 blipstir

blipstir

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

While I like the AMEX line a lot I also reallly like the look of our third line and believe it could be an incredible asset in the playoffs. Perhaps the reason AV leaves Mason on the second line to get him going, is because he can. The Canucks have the luxury of knowing they have been firmly entrenched in the second season for some time and were playing for position. Is that not the best time to experiment? Certainly it will be helpful in the playoffs knowing what to expect from certain line combinations and not having to experiment then. Should be beneficial to matching up with individual teams. Maybe in round one they match up better with the AMEX line , round two Higgins (Higgy, sorry;-)) drops back to third line etc. Point being that the knowledge they have gained by experimenting will give the coaches more confidence moving players up and down the lineup depending on specific situations.

#23 KBalls4

KBalls4

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

Higgins (Or should I say Higgy) plays his best hockey on that 3rd line. That line will be more important for the shutdown role they play then for the offense that higgins can bring on the 2nd line. Especially if we meet a team like Pittsburgh in the finals. As for Raymond, his defensive abilities and work ethic could prove to be important if we're in the finals giving that 2nd line shut down abilities as well. Two defensive lines will be important to shut down Malkin and Crosby. That is tough to say, because I stand beside the majority that Raymond has frustrated the hell out of.

As for the offseason, Mike Gillis must have two blue prints going. A lot rides on whether we win the cup.

#24 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

Higgy man crush?

Huge

#25 blipstir

blipstir

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

Higgy man crush?

Huge

Abs-olutely! ;-)

#26 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

While I like the AMEX line a lot I also reallly like the look of our third line and believe it could be an incredible asset in the playoffs. Perhaps the reason AV leaves Mason on the second line to get him going, is because he can. The Canucks have the luxury of knowing they have been firmly entrenched in the second season for some time and were playing for position. Is that not the best time to experiment? Certainly it will be helpful in the playoffs knowing what to expect from certain line combinations and not having to experiment then. Should be beneficial to matching up with individual teams. Maybe in round one they match up better with the AMEX line , round two Higgins (Higgy, sorry;-)) drops back to third line etc. Point being that the knowledge they have gained by experimenting will give the coaches more confidence moving players up and down the lineup depending on specific situations.

Don't get me wrong, I love HIggy (I moved past Higgins at "hello") on the 3rd, I think he's been great and it will help the team out in the playoffs. I just think that Lappy is capable of filling Higgy's spot there and a more glaring problem right now is the second line...To be honest, I'd be happy if this happened for a game, as long as Kes and Booth get their scoring touch and confidence back.

I also love that AV's experimenting, I think it's smart to do it now instead of testing things out when it matters. This showed me that Lappy can be put anywhere in the forward lineup and our team is deeper than originally thought. If he is planning to put the Amex line back than ***foot in mouth***, but I think that this line was what he envisioned with Manny pre-injury and he wants to stick to his beliefs.

One other thing, since these games aren't as relevant as the playoffs....why not try putting Lappy on the 3rd and the Amex line together for a couple of shifts to see how they work?

Edited by nuck luck, 07 April 2012 - 10:13 AM.

#27 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

Higgins (Or should I say Higgy) plays his best hockey on that 3rd line. That line will be more important for the shutdown role they play then for the offense that higgins can bring on the 2nd line. Especially if we meet a team like Pittsburgh in the finals. As for Raymond, his defensive abilities and work ethic could prove to be important if we're in the finals giving that 2nd line shut down abilities as well. Two defensive lines will be important to shut down Malkin and Crosby. That is tough to say, because I stand beside the majority that Raymond has frustrated the hell out of.

As for the offseason, Mike Gillis must have two blue prints going. A lot rides on whether we win the cup.

Good arguments...the only thing, I think that Lappy on the 3rd wouldn't change that line, if it does than put Higgy back cause I prefer to have Kes save his energy for other parts of the game. But, if this works, it would allow us to bring the Amex line back which will hopefully garner more attention away from the Sedins/Burrow line and open up the scoring a bit more for us. The constant pounding of the Amex line will really be rewarded in the latter part of a long playoff series... I honestly couldn't see a drop off in performance if Lappy moved to the 3rd.

Mayray...I have a compost of disappointments with him. I think that he's getting a free ride and he plays better when his job is on the line... his game after his last sitting was pretty stellar.

I also trust that this GM will have plans B, C, D... :)

#28 skyfall

skyfall

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

The playoffs are coming up and you're talkin about the offseason... not the playoffs where you play every game like it's you're last.. you're talkin about offseason

#29 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

The playoffs are coming up and you're talkin about the offseason... not the playoffs where you play every game like it's you're last.. you're talkin about offseason

I'm only "talkin" about practice the offseason in the bottom 3rd of my post.....Iverson fan by chance?

I guess I'm wired different than you, I don't live for the moment and I like to look ahead at possible events that might occur. I'm just as intrigued with management moves as I am of the team.... I'm a big fan of this team, but that doesn't stop after this year or winning the cup, so I am concerned about the offseason and future of the franchise.

#30 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

Im not sure if Higgins would be as effective a line-mate for Henrik as Lappy is... They have different styles.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.