The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Optimistic Dual-Presidents Trophy Stat

DownUndaCanuck

you know what every team that has ever won the cup has done each and every time? they've taken care of business. and that's exactly what we've got to do. take care of business and she's ours! its not about the 86 oilers or the 88 flames its about the 12 canucks, and we're about to take care of business.

Usually there is something like a 1/4 chance of winning the Cup after capturing the Presidents Trophy, but the chances are much higher after winning the Presidents Trophy in consecutive seasons. This puts the Vancouver Canucks in amazing company considering some of the dynasty teams that have had this success.

Did you hear that every team that hosted the Olympics the year before will win the cup!!! We will win for sure!!!

Oh. What's that?...  Oh......

I think we have as good a shot as last year but not because of some sorta lucky statistic!

Still... remember that there are still 15 other teams in the playoffs, so really the probability that we will win is 1/16 = 6.25%. We may have an edge, but every other team wants it just as badly as us. There aren't any true pushovers in the playoffs as it's pretty much a whole new season.

Astrophysics, Genetics, Astrology, Agriculture, Physics,Engineering, Musicians, Carpenters,Revenue Canada, Finance, Relationships, Olympics, The Sun and Moon, Your body, Your Employer, the Canucks , Myself, and infinite "numbers" of others respectfully disagree.

You guys are so naive.

Maybe we shouldn't look at it from the perspective of "ohh, these teams won it after their second presidents trophy so we will too!", your right, but we can learn a couple things there from looking at it from another perspective.

Perhaps, these consecutive PT winners realized the second time around how to use home ice to their advantage? Or these PT winners won the cup the 2nd time around because they were more hungry? Theres gotta be some sort of corrolation here.

I suggest that statistically this PT stat is more significant since there is an n of 4.

I don't remember what the Olympic stat was based on but I think it was an n of 1.

It was only Calgary wasn't it? So an n of 1 is never statistically significant.

Did you hear that every team that hosted the Olympics the year before will win the cup!!! We will win for sure!!!

Oh. What's that?... Oh......

I think we have as good a shot as last year but not because of some sorta lucky statistic!

Archived