The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Optimistic Dual-Presidents Trophy Stat

DownUndaCanuck

I just heard on TSN that only 4 teams have won back-to-back consecutive Presidents Trophies in the NHL, and of those 4, three have gone on to win the Stanley Cup in their 2nd season.

The 1986 Oilers won the Presidents Trophy and lost in the Division Finals, then finished 1st overall the following season and won the Cup.

The 1988 Flames won the Presidents Trophy and lost in the Division Finals, then the next season won the Presidents Trophy and Cup.

The 1998 Stars won the Presidents Trophy but lost in the Conference Finals, then the following season won both the Presidents Trophy and Stanley Cup.

Only the 1995 Red Wings won the Presidents Trophy (lost in the SCF that season) failed to win the Cup after winning the Presidents Trophy again the following year, but the Red Wings have won 6 Presidents Trophies and of those seasons, have claimed 2 Cups.

Usually there is something like a 1/4 chance of winning the Cup after capturing the Presidents Trophy, but the chances are much higher after winning the Presidents Trophy in consecutive seasons. This puts the Vancouver Canucks in amazing company considering some of the dynasty teams that have had this success.

as long as we don't follow detroit's footstep in this one we'r good.

also, as long as we can break the "goalie wearing #1 hasn't won cup since 1976" curse. (I'm a huge luongo lover don't get me wrong).

As fans, we should just enjoy the ride and cheer the nux on!

Talked about at length on other posts.....but well worth it's own thread this stat. Ta

I think (hope) it shows that winning the PT is an indication of a very good team, that sometimes needs hardening and experience to win the SC, and by winning a second PT they show that they are indeed very good and are ready to take the next step to the SC.

Did you hear that every team that hosted the Olympics the year before will win the cup!!! We will win for sure!!!

Oh. What's that?... Oh......

I think we have as good a shot as last year but not because of some sorta lucky statistic!

If you notice the previous teams that won consecutive Presidents' trophies, you will notice that the three teams that won the Cup in the 2nd year didn't make it to the finals in the 1st year. And, Detroit, who lost in the SCF in the 1st year, didn't make it to the SCF in the 2nd.

*knock on wood*

(Sorry, first post here)

If you notice the previous teams that won consecutive Presidents' trophies, you will notice that the three teams that won the Cup in the 2nd year didn't make it to the finals in the 1st year. And, Detroit, who lost in the SCF in the 1st year, didn't make it to the SCF in the 2nd.

*knock on wood*

(Sorry, first post here)

I suggest that statistically this PT stat is more significant since there is an n of 4.

I don't remember what the Olympic stat was based on but I think it was an n of 1.

It was only Calgary wasn't it? So an n of 1 is never statistically significant.

Archived