Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Optimistic Dual-Presidents Trophy Stat

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#31 Nosaj

Nosaj

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

Stats are Stats. Let's leave it at that.

And anyone who understands stats will tell you that something with a sample size of 4 is completely invalid in predicting Stanley Cup wins.

Posted Image

#32 originalcanucksdude

originalcanucksdude

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

Did you hear that every team that hosted the Olympics the year before will win the cup!!! We will win for sure!!! Oh. What's that?... Oh...... I think we have as good a shot as last year but not because of some sorta lucky statistic!

^this
Last season was a stepping stone to where we want to go.

#embracethehate

#33 Hank Moody

Hank Moody

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

You guys are so naive.

Maybe we shouldn't look at it from the perspective of "ohh, these teams won it after their second presidents trophy so we will too!", your right, but we can learn a couple things there from looking at it from another perspective.

Perhaps, these consecutive PT winners realized the second time around how to use home ice to their advantage? Or these PT winners won the cup the 2nd time around because they were more hungry? Theres gotta be some sort of corrolation here.

Posted Image
Formerly Hockeyfans101/Lapierre's Gawk

Thank you for the badass sig, Insom-

#34 C Dub85

C Dub85

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

I suggest that statistically this PT stat is more significant since there is an n of 4.

I don't remember what the Olympic stat was based on but I think it was an n of 1.
It was only Calgary wasn't it? So an n of 1 is never statistically significant.

Montreal won it after hosting the olympics too

#35 r.luongo01

r.luongo01

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

The only stats i care about is our record come playoff time. 16 wins. Nothing less.

#36 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,274 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

I was done with these sorta stats after what happened last year
Posted Image

#37 DrWhom

DrWhom

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

Montreal won it after hosting the olympics too

OK...I thought someone said winning the winter olympics....and Montreal never held a winter olympics ....but even so this olympic thing was only a coincidence.
And the Calgary win overlaps this PT stat as well since they won their only SC on the second PT year which may have conicidentally followed an olympic year.

THE IMPORTANT POINT from the postings of this PT statistic is I believe only to calm all those that have said that (statistically) winning the PT is a curse since most winners don't win the SC. This stat however shows that this is no longer a worry because most teams that win it consecutively do win the SC.
I don't believe the OP here suggested that this means the Canucks will no win the SC because of this, but only that the PT curse is broken when the teams wins the PT a second time.

#38 i4i

i4i

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

So was the stat that said the city who hosted the Olympics would win the Stanley Cup the next season... :rolleyes: Anything could happen. I'm not going to get all happy and excited for some stat.

Posted Image

Sig made by allons-y. Concept by canuckforever00.

Thanks guys.

#39 iinatcc

iinatcc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

Did you hear that every team that hosted the Olympics the year before will win the cup!!! We will win for sure!!!

Oh. What's that?... Oh......

I think we have as good a shot as last year but not because of some sorta lucky statistic!

True ... but I guess the difference is between the Olympics stat and President Trophy stat is that the Canucks do not have control which city host the Olympics. The Canucks do have control over winning the Presidents Trophy since it involves how they play.

But stats are meant to be broken ... so only time will tell.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.