Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CanKnucklehead89

The Weak Division Theory

24 posts in this topic

Getting to the bottom of it is simple:

1) Calculate the Canucks' point % against teams within the same division

2) Calculate the Canucks' point % against teams outside of their own division

3) Compare the above numbers

Further option: project the Canucks' point % against teams outside of their own division over an 82-game span, and then compare that number to the number of points the Canucks accumulated this year. I remember doing that last year and found that the Canucks still would've won the Presidents Trophy by a significant margin if they played all their games against teams outside their own division.

Agreed - the wead division argument is a weak argument.

Agreed - the wead division argument is a weak argument.

STL and NYR deserve alot of credit for making it out on top of their division, they are tough as hell. On top of that, they were projected to be borderline playoff teams.

This only gets brought up because it's Vancouver and people hate the Canucks.

I don't recall this getting brought up when Colorado was winning Cups.

What division do they play in again?

:rolleyes:

The theory of the weak division is a bad one. Canucks record against the rest of the league is very good as well and over an 82 game span if they never faced the NW at all they would still finish 1st in the division and 2nd in the conference. So it certainly helped them win the prez trophy but didn't matter as far as making the playoffs or finishing so high.

Also it's believed the Sedins were only able to put up 100 point seasons because they play in a "weak division" and light up the north west and that would pad their stats. Not the case at all...I have all the numbers but that's for an entire thread in its own. If the Sedins never played the NW they would finish with nearly the same numbers. In fact the one division they light up more than the NW is the central division. The division they struggle with(the Sedins and the Canucks in general) is the pacific division. Interesting since many people were pleased we were playing a pac division team in the 1st round.

I would love to see the Canucks trot out Mason Raymond and a Kesler/Booth combo that refuse to show up for dozen games if we played in the Atlantic Division.

To add to this we only play a total of 4 more games (at most) in the NW than any other team in the Western Conference. So in reality every playoff team in the West benefits playing against the NW, unless you are Chicago or LA who are barely over .500, and the Sharks who won 6 shootout games to go with a 9-5 record. And I certainly dont see the SE or NE as being that much stronger than the NW.

The weaker division argument is simply drivel spouted off by uneducated fans, and passed from moron to moron like a hipster fashion trend.

This only gets brought up because it's Vancouver and people hate the Canucks.

I don't recall this getting brought up when Colorado was winning Cups.

What division do they play in again?

:rolleyes:

Funny to think that only a while ago we were considered one of the strongest divisions.

As soon as we start to dominate, our division suddenly becomes easy. :shock:

Haha wead division.

The NW is awful. The lack of strong teams and rivalries works in our favour big time. Back when Calgary, Colorado and Minnesota were good (and we played 8 games against each) it made a huge difference on where we ended up in the standings. Not just in points, but energy in playing and beating those teams in hard fought division battles. Now they are cake walks.

the only division in the league to have only 1 team make it to the playoffs for the last 2 years now and its NOT a weaker division then say one that has multipe teams make it year in and out? lol the excuses on here are pretty funny, just because the nucks play in that division.

When they were winning, it wasnt a weak division. Multiple teams from the division made the playoffs....now?

Really?

Colorado won a cup in 2000-2001

They won the division by 25 POINTS over 2nd place Edmonton, who had 93 points.

That was not an isolated incident, only an example. In 2003 Colorado set an NHL record by recording their 9th Consecutive Division Title

They ran away with that division for nearly a freaken DECADE. So as good as we think our team is, they were just as good for TWICE as long (so far)

As I said, I didn't hear anyone saying Colorado was winning all those years because the "division was weak". It's just a stat that Canuck haters like to use because it's convenient.