The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hordichuk Elbow Attempt, Should There Be Suspension?

inglishmagor

In the last NHL game of the Year with one Team, like the Oilers, not even in the Playoffs,and have Hordichuck do the intent to injure on Kesler,

Hordichuck should have got a Game misconduct for it

How would it have looked,

if later in the Game Hordichuck tried it again and took out a star/or anyone on the Presidents Team, after getting nothing for his 1st attempt ?

ok done splitting hairs here.

That fact is you cannot penalize a player for "nearly" elbowing (or any other form of illegal contact) another player.

If there was contact made, that is a different story entirely.

Why some of you cannot understand this concept is beyond me.

This isn't fkg Minority Report, but you guys have at it :rolleyes:

I do note that people seem to say "he tried to injure one of our stars' like this is worse than trying to injure any other player somehow.Strecthing that a bit I guess folks think it would be horrible if Bill Gates got hurt but ok if the homeless guy got the crap kicked out of him.Sad.

The question in this case involving Hordichuk is not did he commit an unsportsmanlike act, it's what should his punishment be? IMO the league should review it and probably send an email or phone call Hordi's way to tell him that he will get the hammer if he pulls any comparable shenanigans in the future. The Canucks on the other hand, should have someone send a little more personal message his way the next time these two teams meet.

you'd think hordi would be a little more careful. he cant really afford a fine on his salary and he's ufa, who wants to pick up a ufa who got a suspension/fine/phone call on the last game of the season? i agree with other posters however, intent is intent.

this guy is just a train wreck.

It's the true reflection of who Hordy really is as a player. He's done. MG knew what he was doing when he got rid of him and he's done nothing else since he was in Vancouver. He's washed up and I doubt we'll see much more of him.

There's a big difference the two. (attempted murder vs. "almost" causing a car accident)

When you attempt to murder someone there is always harm done to another person to some extent, so your attempt to make me look stupid failed, genius.

:rolleyes:

You can't give a player a penalty for "trying" to elbow another player, nevermind call for supplementary discipline. That's just plain stupid and unnecessary.

I'm not taking sides on whether this is a good idea or bad idea....but I will say that I cant really see too many teams, players, or fans accepting these types of punishments. I'm sure they would have no problem with 29 other teams being slapped with an intention-suspension, but I'm sure thier tune will change when its thier own team suspended.

Alot of fans here were upset over the Rome suspension last year.....and that was for something he DID do. How excepting would fans be about a Canuck player being suspended for something he didnt do? People here would be irate....and so would coaches, players, and fans of other teams when its them getting punished for intention.

In my estimation it would be pretty hard to prove that Hordichuck actually was going to injure or had intent. He could simply say in his defence it was an act meant to "scare" or "intimidate" this is why you cannot compare these type of actions found in a professional sport to acts of assault or attempted assault found on the street. As far as I know there is no rule for suspension in the NHL book against intimidation, whereas on the street acts of intimidation can be prosecuted. The question of intent to injure simply cannot be equated with a missed elbow. Now if he were to take a swing of his stick at Kesler's head and Kes saw it in the nick of time and ducked, that would make a case for intent.

Archived