The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hordichuk Elbow Attempt, Should There Be Suspension?

inglishmagor

There's a big difference the two. (attempted murder vs. "almost" causing a car accident)

When you attempt to murder someone there is always harm done to another person to some extent, so your attempt to make me look stupid failed, genius.

:rolleyes:

You can't give a player a penalty for "trying" to elbow another player, nevermind call for supplementary discipline. That's just plain stupid and unnecessary.

301ljjl.jpg

Most of the time someone throws that elbow, there is harm done to another person to some extent.

As extreme as our analogies were, your analogy makes mine look like something written by friggin' Socrates.

Your analogy is someone ALMOST having an accident. Are you aware what accident means? Usually not on purpose. Unless you're implying the dude went looking for people to run over GTA style (which people are punished for).

Hordichuk had intent. He wanted to knock Kesler's head off. He went for the head shot. That is a LOT different from almost having an oopsie.

That was not an ACCIDENT that almost happened. It is not stupid to punish someone for TRYING to deliberately injure someone.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I can't imagine why PJ would call for a suspension on Lappy's hit, there was absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Hordichuk is just one of those guys who feels like he's been embarrassed if someone knocks him down and has to go out and "redeem" himself.

Seriously? :huh: You think it's not a crime to attempt to run someone over?

Here's an idea: Next time you're driving and you see a cop standing beside the road, take a run at him and see if your "theory" is correct....

I get the feeling Dark that you like to argue for the sake of arguing so I wont post beyond one reply. You say "That fact is you cannot penalize a player for "nearly" elbowing (or any other form of illegal contact) another player."

It is a valid and critical question. If one player takes a two handed swing at another players head but the player manages to duck, is the thought that the league can not take action? I have a hard time believing that there would not be some sort of suspension.

I get the feeling Dark that you like to argue for the sake of arguing so I wont post beyond one reply. You say "That fact is you cannot penalize a player for "nearly" elbowing (or any other form of illegal contact) another player."

It is a valid and critical question. If one player takes a two handed swing at another players head but the player manages to duck, is the thought that the league can not take action? I have a hard time believing that there would not be some sort of suspension.

ok I apologize if I've come off as overtly abrasive here.

I made a somewhat dodgey comparison, which didn't help my argument, but I think I've said my piece.

I do not agree that a player should be penalized or otherwise disciplined for simply attempting an illegal play, so long as the other player was in no way harmed or otherwise injured.

There are enough rules in the league IMO. Making things even more convoluted sure isn't going to help the state of officiating, either.

No. I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing. It's just that I don't understand how some of the folks here think you should be punished for "attempting to do something against the rules"

This league has been around for a 100 years. If they thought this warranted punishment, there would already be a rule in place regarding this kind of thing.

AFAIK there isn't.

In your suggestion, is there any historical precedent? Has that actually happened before and resulted in punishment? That to me, would say that then there IS a rule that deals with these things. In that case this whole thread is moot. I don't happen to agree with that, if that is the case.

If you haven't caused anyone harm, WHATS the harm. Simply.

No suspension needed. I was kind of surprised by how the officiating looked to be in the Canucks favour (with the exception of the Burrows follow through). I guess the league wanted Hollywood North to win the Presidents' Trophy. :)

1. If I shoot at you, but miss, it IS a crime

2. Great that the last act of Hordi's pathetic career was an attempt to injure an old team-mate .. is that a comment on Hordi's "intellect" or what a douche he thinks Kesler is .. it WAS Lappy who threw the clean hit after all ..

B)

I'm a little surprised there is no topic on the elbow Hordichuk threw at Kesler and missed.  PJ Stock brought it up in the intermission and thought there should be a suspension for the first few games of next season.  I'm curious if people think he should be punished for a dangerous play that did not make contact.  I think it is a great case in that it highlights that players action and does not take into account the consequences of that action.  It also took place in a mean nothing game for the Oilers and is at a time of the year the league can easily turn the page on the incident and no one will remember it happened in 3 days.

Should it be looked at?  Will it be looked at?

Archived