Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Hordichuk Elbow Attempt, Should There Be Suspension?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
77 replies to this topic

#61 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

Why suspend him, he probably won't play in the NHL next year anyways. LOL

True enough. Last game was probably Hordi's swan song. I always liked the guy. Not so much for his hockey skills but doing what he was there for. Defending his teammates and laying the body on. Any guy prepared to duke it out every night he plays has to gain some respect from his teammates if not the hockey fans. The toll that takes on your body cannot be overstated.

Hordi's age and skill level are working against him and he probably realizes that. I never saw him as pretentious in the least.

#62 ba;;isticsports

ba;;isticsports

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

In the last NHL game of the Year with one Team, like the Oilers, not even in the Playoffs,and have Hordichuck do the intent to injure on Kesler,
Hordichuck should have got a Game misconduct for it
How would it have looked,
if later in the Game Hordichuck tried it again and took out a star/or anyone on the Presidents Team, after getting nothing for his 1st attempt ?

Edited by ba;;isticsports, 09 April 2012 - 05:50 PM.

#63 Line Juggler

Line Juggler

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

Shanahan Ruling: No golf this summer for Hordichuck

I'm really glad to hear this, it's time the league issued more severe consequences.
Posted Image

#64 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

Anybody have the clip

#65 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

ok done splitting hairs here.

That fact is you cannot penalize a player for "nearly" elbowing (or any other form of illegal contact) another player.

If there was contact made, that is a different story entirely.

Why some of you cannot understand this concept is beyond me.

This isn't fkg Minority Report, but you guys have at it :rolleyes:

Yes you can penalize a player for "Attempt to injure" players have been penalized for attempted boarding and as previously mentioned Mommesso was penalized for his stick swinging incident against the Rangers/Pittsburgh.

And personally I'd rather take a punch from a player than an elbow every day of the week.Probably because elbow pads are rock hard armour.

#66 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

I do note that people seem to say "he tried to injure one of our stars' like this is worse than trying to injure any other player somehow.Strecthing that a bit I guess folks think it would be horrible if Bill Gates got hurt but ok if the homeless guy got the crap kicked out of him.Sad.

#67 SevenDays

SevenDays

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

Of course not!

We should wait for someone to get injured first before we suspend explicitly blatant intents like that!

#68 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,283 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

He won't and shouldn't get anything. He didn't make contact. Although maybe Shanny should give him a stern talking to.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#69 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

I do not agree that a player should be penalized or otherwise disciplined for simply attempting an illegal play, so long as the other player was in no way harmed or otherwise injured.

Take a look at the clip here, start it up at 4:11. You mean to tell me this player deserves nothing for this act, simply because the intended victim was adept enough to jump (while wearing skates, I might add) a split second before impact? That's ridiculous. All that is needed for a crime to be punished is for the Crown to prove intent, that's it. The 'Crown' in this instance being the NHL discipline board.

You hire a hitman to kill your wife, set up a time and date and pay him. Then at the last minute call and cancel the job. Guess what? You're guilty of attempted murder. Well you are in most places on the planet. In Canada you probably get a $100 fine and a course in 'anger management'.

Edited by nuckin_futz, 09 April 2012 - 02:14 PM.

#70 Kryten

Kryten

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

The question in this case involving Hordichuk is not did he commit an unsportsmanlike act, it's what should his punishment be? IMO the league should review it and probably send an email or phone call Hordi's way to tell him that he will get the hammer if he pulls any comparable shenanigans in the future. The Canucks on the other hand, should have someone send a little more personal message his way the next time these two teams meet.

Edited by Kryten, 09 April 2012 - 02:40 PM.

Posted Image

#71 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

you'd think hordi would be a little more careful. he cant really afford a fine on his salary and he's ufa, who wants to pick up a ufa who got a suspension/fine/phone call on the last game of the season? i agree with other posters however, intent is intent.
this guy is just a train wreck.
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#72 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,953 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

Hordi and eager are a joke in the nhl. All they do is to take long runs at players

#73 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

It's the true reflection of who Hordy really is as a player. He's done. MG knew what he was doing when he got rid of him and he's done nothing else since he was in Vancouver. He's washed up and I doubt we'll see much more of him.

#74 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

There's a big difference the two. (attempted murder vs. "almost" causing a car accident)

When you attempt to murder someone there is always harm done to another person to some extent, so your attempt to make me look stupid failed, genius.

:rolleyes:

You can't give a player a penalty for "trying" to elbow another player, nevermind call for supplementary discipline. That's just plain stupid and unnecessary.

No it shouldn't!

why???

I'm sorry but that is beyond ridiculous. You can't punish someone for something that DIDN'T HAPPEN.

:rolleyes:

LOL are you serious?

NOT committing a crime is AGAINST THE LAW in your eyes?

jeez you guys are out to lunch!

owned? how exactly?

what he said was incorrect as I've already pointed out.

the fact that you agree with him, makes you look as ridiculous as he does

Did you harm someone?

If not, where's the crime.

Did you harm someone?

If not, where's the crime.

What if there is video evidence proving you tried to run them over?

Or against your 'acciden't description. You can get arrested for reckless driving, even IF you didn't cause an accident. It's the reckless part being punished.
And attempted murder is still a criminal offense. If you get caught with a sniper rifle aiming at someones head from a bell tower, even if you miss the shot completely and no one is hurt you still committed a crime.
The underwear bomber failed in his bombing of an airplane, but he is still liable for his actions.

Newsflash's comment did own your original pretty harshly, and instead of accepting it, you posted several comments in a row trying to defend yourself, but instead only made you self seem sillier.
Cheers. B)

61c1f524-b05e-4da1-b54d-e7ac1d87c904.jpg

#75 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,014 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

He missed.

Would you support new laws punishing people for "almost" getting into a car accident?

the thought "ipso facto" the the deed, philosphers have been arguing this one for centuries .myself i think he should be penalised

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#76 skolozsy2

skolozsy2

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:38 AM

I'm not taking sides on whether this is a good idea or bad idea....but I will say that I cant really see too many teams, players, or fans accepting these types of punishments. I'm sure they would have no problem with 29 other teams being slapped with an intention-suspension, but I'm sure thier tune will change when its thier own team suspended.

Alot of fans here were upset over the Rome suspension last year.....and that was for something he DID do. How excepting would fans be about a Canuck player being suspended for something he didnt do? People here would be irate....and so would coaches, players, and fans of other teams when its them getting punished for intention.

#77 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

He missed.

Would you support new laws punishing people for "almost" getting into a car accident?

Actually, bit of a misfire, here.

A better example is if someone intentionally tried to run your down with his car, it was caught on tape, should there be a trial even though he missed?

Hordi did not almost accidentally hit Kesler, he was looking for blood and injury. Yes, the league should look at it if they are serious about head injuries and making a statement against such actions.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#78 grumpworsley

grumpworsley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

In my estimation it would be pretty hard to prove that Hordichuck actually was going to injure or had intent. He could simply say in his defence it was an act meant to "scare" or "intimidate" this is why you cannot compare these type of actions found in a professional sport to acts of assault or attempted assault found on the street. As far as I know there is no rule for suspension in the NHL book against intimidation, whereas on the street acts of intimidation can be prosecuted. The question of intent to injure simply cannot be equated with a missed elbow. Now if he were to take a swing of his stick at Kesler's head and Kes saw it in the nick of time and ducked, that would make a case for intent.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.