Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 4 votes

When The Flames And Oilers Won Their First President's Trophy.....and Other Facts.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

I decided to wikipedia the "President's trophy."

One thing I noticed.

When the Oilers and Flames won their first President's trophy both teams failed to win the Stanley cup the same year. However both teams, happened to win the Presidents again the following year, and guess what. Both teams won the Stanley cup :)

Other facts.

34% of teams that win the President's trophy make it to the Stanley cup Finals.
26% of teams that win the President's trophy win the Stanley cup.

0% of teams that win the President's trophy their 1st time has NEVER won the Stanley cup.
however,

100% of them that won the Presidents trophy again within 3 seasons and returned to the finals have won it all.

Who?

Calgary Flames. Won it in 88, Won it again in 89 Wins Cup
Edmonton Oilers. Won it in 86, Won it again in 87 Wins Stanley cup.
New York Rangesr. Won it in 92, Won it again in 94 Won Stanley cup in 94
Dallas Stars. Won it in 1998, Won it again in 1999, and won the Stanley cup. .
Detroit REd Wings won it in 1995, and 1996, (they didn't win it in 97 but they won the Stanley cup.)

Just facts guys. Feel free to play around, feel free to say whatever. I think if the Canucks are to win their first Stanley cup, at this point right now, or within the next 2 seasons is our window of oppurtunity, reason saying is the Sedins are still here for those 2 seasons, so I'm going to remain hopeful

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord, 08 April 2012 - 04:10 PM.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#2 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

There is already a thread on this.

http://forum.canucks...ts-trophy-stat/

There was also a statistic about the city which hosted the Olympics and that didn't turn out very well for the Canucks.
Posted Image

#3 kessywessy

kessywessy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

it's called using the search button :picard:

#4 WEwantCUP

WEwantCUP

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

the search button is your friend. Don't ignore your friends

#5 enterin

enterin

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

I decided to wikipedia the "President's trophy."

One thing I noticed.

When the Oilers and Flames won their first President's trophy both teams failed to win the Stanley cup the same year. However both teams, happened to win the Presidents again the following year, and guess what. Both teams won the Stanley cup :)

Other facts.

34% of teams that win the President's trophy make it to the Stanley cup Finals.
26% of teams that win the President's trophy win the Stanley cup.

0% of teams that win the President's trophy their 1st time has NEVER won the Stanley cup.
however,

100% of them that won the Presidents trophy again within 3 seasons and returned to the finals have won it all.

Who?

Calgary Flames. Won it in 88, Won it again in 89 Wins Cup
Edmonton Oilers. Won it in 86, Won it again in 87 Wins Stanley cup.
New York Rangesr. Won it in 92, Won it again in 94 Won Stanley cup in 94
Dallas Stars. Won it in 1998, Won it again in 1999, and won the Stanley cup. .
Detroit REd Wings won it in 1995, and 1996, (they didn't win it in 97 but they won the Stanley cup.)

Just facts guys. Feel free to play around, feel free to say whatever. I think if the Canucks are to win their first Stanley cup, at this point right now, or within the next 2 seasons is our window of oppurtunity, reason saying is the Sedins are still here for those 2 seasons, so I'm going to remain hopeful

You are so smart its not like we havent heard this one before..who the heck cares..win 16 games with stanley cup if you dont you lose plain and simple..drop superstition and the stats ..

#6 enterin

enterin

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

There was also a statistic about the city which hosted the Olympics and that didn't turn out very well for the Canucks.

exactly I rest my case....good call

#7 Vancity_77

Vancity_77

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

it's called using the search button :picard:

And what you did is called "being a dick"
and a nerdy one at that with your gay nerdy star trek face palm geez get out an meet a woman.
We are our own worst enemy!

#8 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,991 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

You are so smart its not like we havent heard this one before..who the heck cares..win 16 games with stanley cup if you dont you lose plain and simple..drop superstition and the stats ..

Well, aren't you clever?

By the way, is your apostrophe key broken?

RIP LB RR PD

#9 enterin

enterin

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

And what you did is called "being a dick"
and a nerdy one at that with your gay nerdy star trek face palm geez get out an meet a woman.

Actually Vancity_77 No need for that keep that too yourself really..

#10 enterin

enterin

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

Well, aren't you clever?

By the way, is your apostrophe key broken?

Well I love how people right click and put information in this forum that 100% of the people already heard from sports channels...seriously copy righting is against the law..I guess you would get a way with it because you are under the age of 16.
Now that s clever ..

#11 magoomba

magoomba

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

Trust me, if any team can put the kibosh on patterns like this, it's the Canucks.
Remember the whole "City that hosts the Olympics wins cup the next year" thread?

Let's put it this way, 100% of teams who win 16 games first wins the Cup.

Edited by magoomba, 08 April 2012 - 04:41 PM.

#12 Stark

Stark

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

I've asked this before and I'll ask again.. why do you use such a horrible font colour in your threads? Why can't people just use the regular black font instead of trying to be fancy.. there's already a thread on this anyway
Posted Image

R.I.P. LB RR PD

#13 Al Bundy

Al Bundy

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

Can we stop with all these comparisons, it's all just wishful thinking.

There was all that after hosting the Olympics the host city wins the cup thing and what happened with that prediction?

They predict an earthquake happens around here every 300 years (last one being in 1700) but I'm not gonna hide under my desk eveyday just in case. Predictions are so useless so we shouldn't assume they're gonna win the cup just because of a bunch of conincidental events.

Edited by Al Bundy, 08 April 2012 - 05:03 PM.

#14 Matthew Lombardi 18

Matthew Lombardi 18

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

Can we stop with all these comparisons, it's all just wishful thinking.

There was all that after hosting the Olympics the host city wins the cup thing and what happened with that prediction?

They predict an earthquake happens around here every 300 years (last one being in 1700) but I'm not gonna hide under my desk eveyday just in case. Predictions are so useless so we shouldn't assume they're gonna win the cup just because of a bunch of conincidental events.

And by the way comparing Vancouver to Calgary/Edmonton is like comparing gold(van) to a pile of crap(cgy/edm)... It just doesn't make sense

Come on bro, messages like these are very unnecessary.

Why bring up this point? It makes absolutely no sense to the discussion in this thread?

The arrogance of people here.

Eklund said:

So we are officially in a bit of a silly season, and in general I stay away from the completely crazy rumors that persist on the internet, or in the case of the Leafs having interest in Nabokov or Turco I will occasionally debunk them...however, I have been getting inundated with emails, PMs, and questions on twitter regarding a few rumors that are out there...so here goes.. I will address the rumors and follow with what I have or haven't heard...If you all like this format, maybe Wacky Wednesdays could be a regular feature. I wouldn't do it more than once a week, because I am too busy talking to actual sources and attempting to provide you all with as much unique information as possible.

Too busy talking to actual sources? lolwut

Posted Image

Signature designed by Morrison_rocks7 - thanks!

#15 Al Bundy

Al Bundy

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

Come on bro, messages like these are very unnecessary.

Why bring up this point? It makes absolutely no sense to the discussion in this thread?

The arrogance of people here.

Happy? Sorry Wont happen again

Edited by Al Bundy, 08 April 2012 - 05:07 PM.

#16 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

Happy? Sorry Wont happen again

This is the Canucks forum, you can compliment the Canucks and insult the Flames and Oilers all you want.

Pineapple_jumps.gif9rpqmc.jpgPineapple_jumps.gif

Thanks to Blueberries for the awesome sig!

#17 Nucks fan in TO

Nucks fan in TO

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

0% of teams nicknamed "Canucks" have won the Cup. Ergo, it won't happen. I give up.

#18 Kent.S

Kent.S

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

Wtf everyone, if he did the research then that's a lot of work.

No need to be rude.
I love these statistics :P

#19 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

Well I love how people right click and put information in this forum that 100% of the people already heard from sports channels...seriously copy righting is against the law..I guess you would get a way with it because you are under the age of 16.
Now that s clever ..

But sir, he used Wikipedia! An indisputable scholarly source of information that merits new threads and further discussion.

#20 Puck'nAnimal

Puck'nAnimal

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

The simple solution is called "heart and soul". It doesn't matter what statistics are quoted. There's that saying "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." What will get the team over the 15 win hump to win the hallowed Game 16 is "heart and soul and a desire to win it all" that supercedes all pain and agony to get there. I certainly hope that the 'Nucks have what it takes to get there this season. It's been a long 42 year wait.

HistoryVisionDrive-HeartofaCanuck_rs.jpg

#21 linden17

linden17

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

READING ALL YOUR RESPONSES, I WOULD OF GUESSED YOU ALL HAVE BEEN LOCKED IN A CELL TOGETHER FOR THE PAST YEAR. NOTHING BUT WHINING AND BITCHING LIKE LITTLE GIRLS. TAKE IT EASY PEOPLE, THE BEST TIME OF YEAR IS ABOUT TO START. SERIOUSLY.

#22 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,508 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

The Red Wings won back-to-back President's Trophies in 2003-2004 & 2005-2006. In 2005-2006 they were ousted in the 1st round against an Oiler's team with a hot goaltender. The Oilers barely squeaked into the playoffs that year and rode Roloson to the Finals. I must say that looks a little like the Kings & Jonathan Quick this year and this year we don't have Samuelsson to go beast mode on Quick...

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#23 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68,401 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

READING ALL YOUR RESPONSES, I WOULD OF GUESSED YOU ALL HAVE BEEN LOCKED IN A CELL TOGETHER FOR THE PAST YEAR. NOTHING BUT WHINING AND BITCHING LIKE LITTLE GIRLS. TAKE IT EASY PEOPLE, THE BEST TIME OF YEAR IS ABOUT TO START. SERIOUSLY.

Get a new keyboard if your Caps Lock doesn't work.

307mg00.jpg

#24 linden17

linden17

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

Get a new keyboard if your Caps Lock doesn't work.

IN DUE TIME.

#25 Canadiac

Canadiac

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

THANK YOU GOOD SIR. I LEGITIMATELY APPRECIATED THIS THREAD. These boards are actually brutal. I enjoyed reading this, period. How is nearly every comment a "screw you OP" type comment? Good lord people.

#26 TACanucks

TACanucks

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

We are a good team, that's all that really matters. Anything can happen in the play-offs so we gotta be ready for anything and not be too reliant on the fact that we just won our 2nd presidents.

#27 Matthew Lombardi 18

Matthew Lombardi 18

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:21 AM

This is the Canucks forum, you can compliment the Canucks and insult the Flames and Oilers all you want.

Wrong.

BY POSTING HERE YOU AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING BOARD RULES:

1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow visitors(and this includes via Private Message).

You will find every opinion imaginable here, so you may want to find another board if you are not able to keep your cool when someone's viewpoint offends you. The following actions are strictly prohibited:
  • Calling out other users.
  • Personal attacks and flaming. Attacking an idea is acceptable, attacking a user is not.
  • Trolling and posting with intent to provoke other posters
  • Retaliating to personal attacks(contact a moderator instead)
  • Harrassment, stalking, and shadowing other users with intent to provoke
  • Using abbreviations such as 'STFU' and 'GTFO'
  • Do not edit quotes of other users.
If you find you can't get along with another user, feel free to use the ignore feature.

8. If you are a fan of a rival NHL team, you will not attempt to antagonize Canucks fans.

This is a Canucks site and Canucks fans have a right to a place where they can discuss the team amongst themselves in peace. Biased viewpoints should be expected, so if you must respond, please do so in a respectful manner. In the same manner, Canucks fans shall not antogonize fans of other teams. Personal attacks against fans of other teams are not acceptable.

So yeah, you're wrong.

Eklund said:

So we are officially in a bit of a silly season, and in general I stay away from the completely crazy rumors that persist on the internet, or in the case of the Leafs having interest in Nabokov or Turco I will occasionally debunk them...however, I have been getting inundated with emails, PMs, and questions on twitter regarding a few rumors that are out there...so here goes.. I will address the rumors and follow with what I have or haven't heard...If you all like this format, maybe Wacky Wednesdays could be a regular feature. I wouldn't do it more than once a week, because I am too busy talking to actual sources and attempting to provide you all with as much unique information as possible.

Too busy talking to actual sources? lolwut

Posted Image

Signature designed by Morrison_rocks7 - thanks!

#28 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:42 AM

The stupid statistic relating Olympics to NHL playoff hockey is an unrelated stat and more of a coincidence. Although, there is probably some correlation with a team being 1st overall in the NHL in back to back years and winning the Stanley cup. It shows that a consistently elite team has a really high percentage of winning the Stanley Cup. This stat is way more relevant than the stupid Olympic/NHL playoff hockey stat.

Posted Image

#29 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:47 AM

The Red Wings won back-to-back President's Trophies in 2003-2004 & 2005-2006. In 2005-2006 they were ousted in the 1st round against an Oiler's team with a hot goaltender. The Oilers barely squeaked into the playoffs that year and rode Roloson to the Finals. I must say that looks a little like the Kings & Jonathan Quick this year and this year we don't have Samuelsson to go beast mode on Quick...

Too bad LA can't score worth a damn and we can play Schneider if Lu fails. Schneider could be even better than Quick and steal the whole damn show but I guess no one realizes this. If Lu screws up, Schneider will be this teams X-factor and I believe he can be an elite starter who can rival the Quicks and Lunquvists of the league.

Posted Image

#30 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:52 AM

0% of teams nicknamed "Canucks" have won the Cup. Ergo, it won't happen. I give up.

Except that there is a stupid stat and a relevant stat. The one you mentioned is a stupid stat. The one OP mentioned is a relevant stat. It might not always come true but it would come true most times then not.

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.