The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When The Flames And Oilers Won Their First President's Trophy.....and Other Facts.

MoneypuckOverlord

I decided to wikipedia the "President's trophy."

One thing I noticed.

When the Oilers and Flames won their first President's trophy both teams failed to win the Stanley cup the same year. However both teams, happened to win the Presidents again the following year, and guess what. Both teams won the Stanley cup :)

Other facts.

34% of teams that win the President's trophy make it to the Stanley cup Finals.

26% of teams that win the President's trophy win the Stanley cup.

0% of teams that win the President's trophy their 1st time has NEVER won the Stanley cup.

however,

100% of them that won the Presidents trophy again within 3 seasons and returned to the finals have won it all.

Who?

Calgary Flames. Won it in 88, Won it again in 89 Wins Cup

Edmonton Oilers. Won it in 86, Won it again in 87 Wins Stanley cup.

New York Rangesr. Won it in 92, Won it again in 94 Won Stanley cup in 94

Dallas Stars. Won it in 1998, Won it again in 1999, and won the Stanley cup. .

Detroit REd Wings won it in 1995, and 1996, (they didn't win it in 97 but they won the Stanley cup.)

Just facts guys. Feel free to play around, feel free to say whatever. I think if the Canucks are to win their first Stanley cup, at this point right now, or within the next 2 seasons is our window of oppurtunity, reason saying is the Sedins are still here for those 2 seasons, so I'm going to remain hopeful

I decided to wikipedia the "President's trophy."

One thing I noticed.

When the Oilers and Flames won their first President's trophy both teams failed to win the Stanley cup the same year. However both teams, happened to win the Presidents again the following year, and guess what. Both teams won the Stanley cup :)

Other facts.

34% of teams that win the President's trophy make it to the Stanley cup Finals.

26% of teams that win the President's trophy win the Stanley cup.

0% of teams that win the President's trophy their 1st time has NEVER won the Stanley cup.

however,

100% of them that won the Presidents trophy again within 3 seasons and returned to the finals have won it all.

Who?

Calgary Flames. Won it in 88, Won it again in 89 Wins Cup

Edmonton Oilers. Won it in 86, Won it again in 87 Wins Stanley cup.

New York Rangesr. Won it in 92, Won it again in 94 Won Stanley cup in 94

Dallas Stars. Won it in 1998, Won it again in 1999, and won the Stanley cup. .

Detroit REd Wings won it in 1995, and 1996, (they didn't win it in 97 but they won the Stanley cup.)

Just facts guys. Feel free to play around, feel free to say whatever. I think if the Canucks are to win their first Stanley cup, at this point right now, or within the next 2 seasons is our window of oppurtunity, reason saying is the Sedins are still here for those 2 seasons, so I'm going to remain hopeful

Trust me, if any team can put the kibosh on patterns like this, it's the Canucks.

Remember the whole "City that hosts the Olympics wins cup the next year" thread?

Let's put it this way, 100% of teams who win 16 games first wins the Cup.

I've asked this before and I'll ask again.. why do you use such a horrible font colour in your threads? Why can't people just use the regular black font instead of trying to be fancy.. there's already a thread on this anyway

Can we stop with all these comparisons, it's all just wishful thinking.

There was all that after hosting the Olympics the host city wins the cup thing and what happened with that prediction?

They predict an earthquake happens around here every 300 years (last one being in 1700) but I'm not gonna hide under my desk eveyday just in case. Predictions are so useless so we shouldn't assume they're gonna win the cup just because of a bunch of conincidental events.

Can we stop with all these comparisons, it's all just wishful thinking.

There was all that after hosting the Olympics the host city wins the cup thing and what happened with that prediction?

They predict an earthquake happens around here every 300 years (last one being in 1700) but I'm not gonna hide under my desk eveyday just in case. Predictions are so useless so we shouldn't assume they're gonna win the cup just because of a bunch of conincidental events.

And by the way comparing Vancouver to Calgary/Edmonton is like comparing gold(van) to a pile of crap(cgy/edm)... It just doesn't make sense

Guest BuckFoston

Well I love how people right click and put information in this forum that 100% of the people already heard from sports channels...seriously copy righting is against the law..I guess you would get a way with it because you are under the age of 16.

Now that s clever ..

The simple solution is called "heart and soul". It doesn't matter what statistics are quoted. There's that saying "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." What will get the team over the 15 win hump to win the hallowed Game 16 is "heart and soul and a desire to win it all" that supercedes all pain and agony to get there. I certainly hope that the 'Nucks have what it takes to get there this season. It's been a long 42 year wait.

Archived