The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Many Games Should Av Give Mayray In The Playoffs?

nuck luck

I would like to see:

Sedin - Sedin - Lappiere; Lappy seemed to have great chemistry with Henrik, plus he can defend them when it gets rough.

Higgins - Kesler - Booth; Amex. Need I say more?

Burrows - Påhlsson - Hansen; beast of a checking line, plus they're gonna light it upp a few times.

Bitz - Manny - Kassian; they're gonna slaughter, Bitz and Kass especially.

I think it should depend on two things:

1) Our Opponent - LA Kings have a very stingy defence that use their size to force players to the outside and active sticks to deflect pucks. Raymond does not have the strength to protect the puck during a cycle or the focus to handle the puck at high speeds effectively enough to create plays (especially when considering the King's defensive acumen). Unless Raymond can play every game like the "one" he played after being a healthy scratch, he will be a liability on the second line (the only position available for a player of his stature). I think he gets just the one game to prove himself, but I would personally allow him to watch from the pressbox and use his attributes against a better matchup later on in the post-season.

2) Injuries - If for some reason someone goes down, having Raymond as depth wouldn't hurt, especially if he brings the fire like he did after his last stint in the press box. While I personally would have Ebbett ahead of Raymond on our depth chart (taking recent success into consideration), having either player available in case of disaster is a good problem to have.

While it may seem that I "hate" Raymond, I want to make it clear that I do not. I like him as a player especially when he puts in the effort in both ends of the rink. I just believe that an unobjective view of the situation has Raymond on the outside looking in when taking the above points in consideration.

Booth-Sedin-Burrows

Sedin-Kesler-Higgins

Raymond-Pahlsson-Hansen

Malhotra-Lapierre-Kassian

Splitting the Twins? Yeah I went there :frantic:

It wouldn't hurt to try what they could do in the playoffs separated cause it'll cause confusion to LA on who to check. Just something to think about, so why not try it during a game or for a game?

None, if it were my way. His leash should be short, this is the playoffs now, smarten up and toughen up. I'm happy for the guy that he's playing hockey again after he was almost paralyzed by that that tool boychuck in the finals, but he's gotta go to the net and he needs to stop falling down, his balance is horrible. I don't wanna see him trying to make passes he knows he can't make, cause he's been a turnover machine in the past.

I think if the Canucks were playing San Jose in the first round instead of LA, Raymond wouldn't be playing. LA isn't as physical as San Jose, so speed will help more in this series then if it was against San Jose, San Jose is a way more physical team, so you would rather have your bigger and stronger guys playing in that series to battle back, but this isn't the case, so Raymond can play, but as soon as we play a more physical and stronger team and if Raymond doesn't do anything in the first round you can beat your butt he will be benched.

What bugs me about Raymond is that he was our best player for 2 games after being benched, and then he just went right back to his old ways. If he can play like he did after being benched there's a spot for him on this team, if he can't then someone else will have to take his place.

When you have to get scratched to get you going IN A CONTRACT YEAR you know you have issues with a player. There is no more ceiling with Raymond. What you see is what you get. He might have some impact on a lesser team like Calgary or Columbus, but on this team he has no role. His speed is over-rated (how often does he use his feet to breakaway from defenders? I see Burrows, Hanse, Lappy and Kes do it wayyy more), and while he is a good PKer, we have more than enough of those (Hansen, Higgins, Kes, Burr, Pahlsson, etc), he doesn't hit, he doesn't intimidate, he's just an indifferent, useless player. I hope I don't see him in the playoffs at all, but for some reason AV thinks there's more there to him. I hope he's right, but I know he's wrong.

i'd give him a new playstation and full set of EA Sports Games from the last 2-3 years and tell him to enjoy his newborn, such a horrible injury to come back from, you got to give Raymond alot of credit for trying but its obvious that he's just not there physically,

After a summer of Gary Roberts training he could come back to the team strong and lose the "Human Zamboni" moniker.

i just can't see him lasting playing top 6 minutes thru Playoff Savagery. Once his wings are clipped he will be even more of a liability

On the flipside having a Mason Raymond sitting in the press box is a nice luxury to have in case of injuries and he has flashes of brilliance. I'd love to see him kill it this spring and shut everyone up myself included.

Maybe give him a chance on the 4th line with Bitz and Kassian. Need those guys in lineup if dressing raymond.

Raymonds speed & defense make him usefull to a point. It does give a match up advantage that many teams cant counter, even when he's not scoring neither is the opposing (top) line.

Raymond is a first or 2knd line player, but ideally he either needs to play well enough in the talent game or sit. And part of this is he needs to play with a play maker; someone to deliver the puck to him driving the high slot where he has a good shot. Because he's not the type of talent to carry and distribute the puck. Our problem is that our 2knd line does not have that guy, and he really has not earned the spot over Burrows with Hank.

The paradox, is that Kassian who might replace him has the same problem. And what he offers in physical play over Raymonds speed, he has not been in good enough condition to sustain over an entire game where Raymond can skate all day. May Ray is probably going to play!

I understand that Raymond will be valuable to us in the playoffs, I know that he's had a major injury, I know his speed might be valuable against LA's D and I know he had a great season previously. However, the regular season is over now and the real season begins...we don't have the luxury to keep giving players a free ride. Every game matters and every player needs to prove he belongs on the ice... Line ups at practice: D. Sedin, H. Sedin, Burrows Raymond, Kes, Booth Hansen, Pahlsson, Higgy Manny, Lappy, Bitz Should the 2nd line disappear again with Raymond on it, I hope AV puts Lappy back on the 2nd in the following game.

Raymonds speed & defense make him usefull to a point. It does give a match up advantage that many teams cant counter, even when he's not scoring neither is the opposing (top) line.

Raymond is a first or 2knd line player, but ideally he either needs to play well enough in the talent game or sit. And part of this is he needs to play with a play maker; someone to deliver the puck to him driving the high slot where he has a good shot. Because he's not the type of talent to carry and distribute the puck. Our problem is that our 2knd line does not have that guy, and he really has not earned the spot over Burrows with Hank.

The paradox, is that Kassian who might replace him has the same problem. And what he offers in physical play over Raymonds speed, he has not been in good enough condition to sustain over an entire game where Raymond can skate all day. May Ray is probably going to play!

If he's not producing offence on our 2nd line, he belongs on our 4th line. Put someone like Kassian or Bitz up on the 2nd line because they're essentially the same type of player as Kesler and Booth but more physicality and less skill.

Raymond should play with Lapierre and a big body like Kassian or Bitz (whoever isn't on the 2nd line) on the 4th line, giving that line a great mix of skill, speed, toughness and fiestiness. Of course that means Malhotra is the odd man out, so for me it's either Raymond or Malhotra in the lineup. We'll need Bitz and Kassian for the playoffs, especially against a big strong LA team that was second in the NHL in hits.

Archived