The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Many Games Should Av Give Mayray In The Playoffs?

nuck luck

Until Kassian is back, there is going to be a lot of Raymond. When Kass comes back, out goes Raymond.

Lines with Kass:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Lapierre

Higgins-Pahlsson-Hansen

Bitz-Malhotra-Kassian

LA is a physical team, so that's why Raymond won't cut the lineup.

here's the thing with mayray.

He's had his scoring chances. He's good defensively. But he's not consistent. Sometimes, he'll make great passes, other times, he won't. You never know what game he's going to put on the ice and that is his biggest downfall. The guy's great player if he focuses and plays every game like it's his last.

When Raymond lacks confidence he plays HORRIBLY.

And I'm not a big Raymond fan, but when he's on his game, he can puck handle and dish like a motherf***er.

On a different note though, the one great thing about what AV did before the end of the season (that is, try different line combinations) is just for this sort of situation. If one player doesn't do well on one line, then you can put Lapierre on that line, or Burrows, or anyone!

I have to disagree with you. In no way has Mason had a free ride. He broke his G.D.ed back for the team last year. He is also a work horse out there in terms of his defensive and speed.

He was a little snake bitten this year, and had a tendency of slipping on the ice. Its a brand new season come Wednesday, and a little birdy told me he's gonna try sharpining his skates 3/4" instead of 1/2"!

He'll be in the lineup as long as he is healthy!

I think Mayray deserves a chance, but it should be a short chance. He's proven time and again that when the playoffs come around, he cannot elevate his game. I truly hope this year is different, but what gives us the impression that it will be? There is no reason that Mason has given us to beleive that it will be any different this year than in other years.

This is not to say that he can't be effective at points of the playoffs, because of course he can be. The question in my mind is not whether or ot he can be effective.. after all anyone could emerge as a playoff MVP for our team.. no, the question is will he.. and in my mind I have no reason to beleive at all that Mason will be any better than he has throughout the season. He does not strike me as the kind of player that can bring his A+ game just because the playoffs are at hand.

I say he should get 3-4 games in the first round here to see what he can do. If he does well, keep him. if not, make the adjustment. everyone is so steadfast that if Lu has a couple bad games he should be yanked.. why should it be any different for Raymond??

When you have to get scratched to get you going IN A CONTRACT YEAR you know you have issues with a player. There is no more ceiling with Raymond. What you see is what you get. He might have some impact on a lesser team like Calgary or Columbus, but on this team he has no role. His speed is over-rated (how often does he use his feet to breakaway from defenders? I see Burrows, Hanse, Lappy and Kes do it wayyy more), and while he is a good PKer, we have more than enough of those (Hansen, Higgins, Kes, Burr, Pahlsson, etc), he doesn't hit, he doesn't intimidate, he's just an indifferent, useless player. I hope I don't see him in the playoffs at all, but for some reason AV thinks there's more there to him. I hope he's right, but I know he's wrong.

here's the thing with mayray.

He's had his scoring chances. He's good defensively. But he's not consistent. Sometimes, he'll make great passes, other times, he won't. You never know what game he's going to put on the ice and that is his biggest downfall. The guy's great player if he focuses and plays every game like it's his last.

Kesler gets a bit of a pass because he was so great against Nashville last season in the playoffs.

Raymond is fast, and he's creative, but he doesn't seem to have hands when he needs them the most.

He's like a reverse Wellwood. Welly was slow, but he had hands. Raymond seems to have everything but.

Archived