The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Many Games Should Av Give Mayray In The Playoffs?

nuck luck

I understand that Raymond will be valuable to us in the playoffs, I know that he's had a major injury, I know his speed might be valuable against LA's D and I know he had a great season previously.

However, the regular season is over now and the real season begins...we don't have the luxury to keep giving players a free ride. Every game matters and every player needs to prove he belongs on the ice...

Line ups at practice:

D. Sedin, H. Sedin, Burrows

Raymond, Kes, Booth

Hansen, Pahlsson, Higgy

Manny, Lappy, Bitz

Should the 2nd line disappear again with Raymond on it, I hope AV puts Lappy back on the 2nd in the following game.

I have to disagree with you. In no way has Mason had a free ride. He broke his G.D.ed back for the team last year. He is also a work horse out there in terms of his defensive and speed.

He was a little snake bitten this year, and had a tendency of slipping on the ice. Its a brand new season come Wednesday, and a little birdy told me he's gonna try sharpining his skates 3/4" instead of 1/2"!

He'll be in the lineup as long as he is healthy!

I have to disagree with you. In no way has Mason had a free ride. He broke his G.D.ed back for the team last year. He is also a work horse out there in terms of his defensive and speed.

He was a little snake bitten this year, and had a tendency of slipping on the ice. Its a brand new season come Wednesday, and a little birdy told me he's gonna try sharpining his skates 3/4" instead of 1/2"!

He'll be in the lineup as long as he is healthy!

I think it should depend on two things:

1) Our Opponent - LA Kings have a very stingy defence that use their size to force players to the outside and active sticks to deflect pucks. Raymond does not have the strength to protect the puck during a cycle or the focus to handle the puck at high speeds effectively enough to create plays (especially when considering the King's defensive acumen). Unless Raymond can play every game like the "one" he played after being a healthy scratch, he will be a liability on the second line (the only position available for a player of his stature). I think he gets just the one game to prove himself, but I would personally allow him to watch from the pressbox and use his attributes against a better matchup later on in the post-season.

2) Injuries - If for some reason someone goes down, having Raymond as depth wouldn't hurt, especially if he brings the fire like he did after his last stint in the press box. While I personally would have Ebbett ahead of Raymond on our depth chart (taking recent success into consideration), having either player available in case of disaster is a good problem to have.

While it may seem that I "hate" Raymond, I want to make it clear that I do not. I like him as a player especially when he puts in the effort in both ends of the rink. I just believe that an unobjective view of the situation has Raymond on the outside looking in when taking the above points in consideration.

1. He "is" a special teams asset - not should be! 2. He has the speed to be in the top six if not the size, and is continually involved in really good scoring chances. The reason ppl are on him so much is because he has had recent trouble in his finishing capabilities. The positive is that he is getting those chances. 3. He could fit on any line, and play efectively defensively, if not offensively.

1. He "is" a special teams asset - not should be! 2. He has the speed to be in the top six if not the size, and is continually involved in really good scoring chances. The reason ppl are on him so much is because he has had recent trouble in his finishing capabilities. The positive is that he is getting those chances. 3. He could fit on any line, and play efectively defensively, if not offensively.

I would like to see:

Sedin - Sedin - Lappiere; Lappy seemed to have great chemistry with Henrik, plus he can defend them when it gets rough.

Higgins - Kesler - Booth; Amex. Need I say more?

Burrows - Påhlsson - Hansen; beast of a checking line, plus they're gonna light it upp a few times.

Bitz - Manny - Kassian; they're gonna slaughter, Bitz and Kass especially.

Archived