Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Surrey Plans To Repeat Outdoor Playoff Events

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
60 replies to this topic

#1 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68,893 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

Big screens attract NHL playoff fans to Surrey during Canucks' Stanley Cup run:

SURREY, B.C. -- Mass public celebrations are banned in Vancouver during the Canucks' run for the 2012 Stanley Cup, but the party is on in neighbouring Surrey.

Mayor Dianne Watts says thousands of people celebrated peacefully while watching playoff games on giant screens during last year's playoffs and Surrey intends to repeat the outdoor events if the Canucks once again advance to the final.

She says the cost is minimal to set up the screens at several locations around Surrey and although policing costs will be a little higher, those RCMP officers would be on duty, anyway.

A riot erupted in downtown Vancouver last year when as many as 100,000 people crowded into the city to watch Game Seven of the Stanley Cup final, which the Canucks lost to the Boston Bruins.

Vancouver officials have banned similar gatherings this year, saying smaller celebrations will be held at community centres around the city.

The Vancouver Canucks host the Los Angeles Kings at Rogers Arena at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday to launch round one of the Western Conference playoffs.

http://www.sportsnet...layoffs_surrey/

307mg00.jpg

#2 Alex Edler 23

Alex Edler 23

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

Ohh gawwddd
Sig too big.

#3 Panjodh

Panjodh

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

Well if theres celebrations in surrey doesn't that mean other people who live in Burnaby, Richmond And Vancouver will also come to Surrey to celebrate?

#4 racerjoe

racerjoe

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

The good news is those people will no longer be in Van to Riot if certain events unfold.

#5 Denrik

Denrik

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

I hope Vancouver reverses its decision on no public viewings. I don't see a riot happening again given the aftermath and the changes any good event planner would make to alter the outcome. We had 6 successful uneventful public viewings downtown before game 7 with no incident, no problems in surrey, and no problems during the massive public viewings during the olympics. We already know anarchists are to blame, I think there are steps we can take to fix that

Edited by Denrik, 09 April 2012 - 02:19 PM.

#6 Stark

Stark

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

Surrey is the last place I'd want to go to watch the playoffs outdoors lol
Posted Image

R.I.P. LB RR PD

#7 VancityBeast

VancityBeast

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

Why? Because families, kids and adults were behaving like normal human being during the last Stanley Cup Finals and went home without any incidents?
Posted Image

#8 Blömqvist

Blömqvist

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

I'm sure they'll have an abundance of officers to keep the peace. I mean, it IS Surrey. There's bound to be a tonne of cops there anyways..

#9 Guest_The Brown Burrows_*

Guest_The Brown Burrows_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

As a Surrey resident, the atmosphere is not the same as downtown obviously but it is the only other place in the Lower Mainland where people gather at various locations.
*Abbotsford has the HWY thing but that's it I think

At least we can hold events :P

* Surrey is where families can watch/celebrate ...downtown is mostly for teens/young adults
^ peoples aged 30+ , doesn't really matter (depends on you)

- Downtown will still have parties, just watch

Edited by The Brown Burrows, 09 April 2012 - 02:34 PM.

#10 canucks.ftw

canucks.ftw

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Good. Now they can go ahead and burn down there own city instead of ours.

#11 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,014 posts

Don't forget Scott Road and 72 Avenue. The whole city of Surrey is down there when the Nucks win.
Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

#12 nuxforever

nuxforever

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

Oh great. I don't discourage the outdoor viewing but it does make for a long lineup in traffic on Alex Fraser when going home like it did last year. Caused me to miss a few minutes of some games.....
Posted Image

waiting for the day to hear the announcer say........"As the clock winds down. They have done it! Ladies and Gentleman, Your Vancouver Canucks are STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!

#13 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 68,893 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

Don't forget Scott Road and 72 Avenue. The whole city of Surrey is down there when the Nucks win.

Yep. The place goes insane. Went there several times last year.

Edited by Vintage Canuck., 09 April 2012 - 02:33 PM.

307mg00.jpg

#14 Stark

Stark

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

Why? Because families, kids and adults were behaving like normal human being during the last Stanley Cup Finals and went home without any incidents?

Most of the people involved in the riots were from Surrey, no? Now that they won't be in downtown to cause trouble.. well..
Posted Image

R.I.P. LB RR PD

#15 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

Yep. The place goes insane there. Went there several times last year.

But the whole place is completely empty when the Canucks lose so I don't think theres any chance of a riot there.
Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

#16 gurmy_33

gurmy_33

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

Watch out for Surrey Jacks if you go there

#17 VancityBeast

VancityBeast

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

Most of the people involved in the riots were from Surrey, no? Now that they won't be in downtown to cause trouble.. well..

Not that I care much about Surrey but if you check the stats there were no majority for those who were involved in the riot. People were from everywhere (Chilliwack, Maple Ridge, Abbottsford, Poco, Surrey, Burnaby, Richmond etc), and only very small number from Vancouver.
Posted Image

#18 Guest_The Brown Burrows_*

Guest_The Brown Burrows_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

The numbers were pretty even throughout the mainland weren't they?

Downtown is more crowded, Surrey isn't much of a riot location (What can you riot at Central City? The Bus Loop?)

It was mostly teenagers or crackheads LOL , they would probably do something stupid again this year

Edited by The Brown Burrows, 09 April 2012 - 02:39 PM.

#19 Stark

Stark

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

Not that I care much about Surrey but if you check the stats there were no majority for those who were involved in the riot. People were from everywhere (Chilliwack, Maple Ridge, Abbottsford, Poco, Surrey, Burnaby, Richmond etc), and only very small number from Vancouver.

I'm aware that the demographics are spread across the map, but I remember reading that there was a large number that were from Surrey. Oh well, I'd still rather find a bar downtown to watch in :lol:
Posted Image

R.I.P. LB RR PD

#20 Stark

Stark

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

The numbers were pretty even throughout the mainland weren't they?

Downtown is more crowded, Surrey isn't much of a riot location (What can you riot at Central City? The Bus Loop?)

It was mostly teenagers or crackheads LOL , they would probably do something stupid again this year

Haha I've lived in Surrey before, I never said people would riot, just cause trouble. I agree that most of them were just idiots, but still.
Well, I sure hope they don't! Rioters ruined everything for people last year, I'm sure the police will be much more prepared this time around... or at least they should be.
Posted Image

R.I.P. LB RR PD

#21 canuck cole

canuck cole

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

I think they should have outdoor viewings for the playoffs even in downtown, no one is going to riot during the first 3 rounds if we even make it that far, at least I hope not.

#22 WZRD

WZRD

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

I watched two games at Central City Plaza last year. Definitely much more of a family friendly atmosphere compared to downtown.

Edited by WZRD, 09 April 2012 - 02:55 PM.

Posted Image

#23 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

i think it was 30%ish of arrested people, i saw the number somewhere a while ago but can't find it anymore.

but i mean come one it's not like all the vancouver people quietly went home and the outsiders all stayed and trashed the city.

it's pretty convenient for vancouver residents (and especially vancouver police) to frame the riots in this way so i'd be mindful of the spin. same as it's convenient for vancouver fans to say that all the people who rioted (or even "most" of them) weren't canucks fans.

however, it's an experience i think everyone learned from. sure, it was really crappy, but i think the reaction to it was spectacular, and i doubt it'll happen again any time soon. it's not some great tragedy that shows a grand flaw in the mental fiber of canucks nation. i say let them have the screens, be smart about security/alcohol consumption, and i think everything will go just fine.
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#24 VancityBeast

VancityBeast

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

I'm aware that the demographics are spread across the map, but I remember reading that there was a large number that were from Surrey. Oh well, I'd still rather find a bar downtown to watch in :lol:

I was thinking the same thing too and expected majority from Surrey but very surprised looking at the stats to find people from all over - most of them few hours away.
Posted Image

#25 Stark

Stark

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

i think it was 30%ish of arrested people, i saw the number somewhere a while ago but can't find it anymore.

but i mean come one it's not like all the vancouver people quietly went home and the outsiders all stayed and trashed the city.

it's pretty convenient for vancouver residents (and especially vancouver police) to frame the riots in this way so i'd be mindful of the spin. same as it's convenient for vancouver fans to say that all the people who rioted (or even "most" of them) weren't canucks fans.

however, it's an experience i think everyone learned from. sure, it was really crappy, but i think the reaction to it was spectacular, and i doubt it'll happen again any time soon. it's not some great tragedy that shows a grand flaw in the mental fiber of canucks nation. i say let them have the screens, be smart about security/alcohol consumption, and i think everything will go just fine.

Yeah, gotcha. I agree, I hope they've learned this time around (apparently they didn't from '94). I mean, it was bad enough that we lost, but I was more upset that idiots decided to trash the city.
Posted Image

R.I.P. LB RR PD

#26 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

Posted Image
Sorry, I had to.

61c1f524-b05e-4da1-b54d-e7ac1d87c904.jpg

#27 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,947 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

Free to shoot rubber bullets for the ppl wearing masks. :)

#28 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 68,893 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

Are we seriously going to make this thread into a negative thread about Surrey?

Seriously, Surrey isn't a bad city, Fraser Heights, much of Guildford, Eastern parts of Newton, Fleetwood, Panorama Ridge are all very nice places. The one area that isn't a very nice place is Whalley.

Edited by Vintage Canuck., 09 April 2012 - 03:15 PM.

307mg00.jpg

#29 Vigneault's Timeout

Vigneault's Timeout

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

Day after the riot... pages on craigslist selling LV bags and the like... Location: Surrey lol.
Posted Image

#30 GSS Corp.

GSS Corp.

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

I heard from my friends that Surrey actually had good crowds last year!
Posted Image

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.