The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Surrey Plans To Repeat Outdoor Playoff Events

-Vintage Canuck-

Big screens attract NHL playoff fans to Surrey during Canucks' Stanley Cup run:

SURREY, B.C. -- Mass public celebrations are banned in Vancouver during the Canucks' run for the 2012 Stanley Cup, but the party is on in neighbouring Surrey.

Mayor Dianne Watts says thousands of people celebrated peacefully while watching playoff games on giant screens during last year's playoffs and Surrey intends to repeat the outdoor events if the Canucks once again advance to the final.

She says the cost is minimal to set up the screens at several locations around Surrey and although policing costs will be a little higher, those RCMP officers would be on duty, anyway.

A riot erupted in downtown Vancouver last year when as many as 100,000 people crowded into the city to watch Game Seven of the Stanley Cup final, which the Canucks lost to the Boston Bruins.

Vancouver officials have banned similar gatherings this year, saying smaller celebrations will be held at community centres around the city.

The Vancouver Canucks host the Los Angeles Kings at Rogers Arena at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday to launch round one of the Western Conference playoffs.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/04/09/vancouver_canucks_playoffs_surrey/

I hope Vancouver reverses its decision on no public viewings. I don't see a riot happening again given the aftermath and the changes any good event planner would make to alter the outcome. We had 6 successful uneventful public viewings downtown before game 7 with no incident, no problems in surrey, and no problems during the massive public viewings during the olympics. We already know anarchists are to blame, I think there are steps we can take to fix that

Guest The Brown Burrows

As a Surrey resident, the atmosphere is not the same as downtown obviously but it is the only other place in the Lower Mainland where people gather at various locations.

*Abbotsford has the HWY thing but that's it I think

At least we can hold events :P

* Surrey is where families can watch/celebrate ...downtown is mostly for teens/young adults

^ peoples aged 30+ , doesn't really matter (depends on you)

- Downtown will still have parties, just watch

Guest The Brown Burrows

Most of the people involved in the riots were from Surrey, no? Now that they won't be in downtown to cause trouble.. well..

Not that I care much about Surrey but if you check the stats there were no majority for those who were involved in the riot. People were from everywhere (Chilliwack, Maple Ridge, Abbottsford, Poco, Surrey, Burnaby, Richmond etc), and only very small number from Vancouver.

The numbers were pretty even throughout the mainland weren't they?

Downtown is more crowded, Surrey isn't much of a riot location (What can you riot at Central City? The Bus Loop?)

It was mostly teenagers or crackheads LOL , they would probably do something stupid again this year

Archived